Daytona 24 Hrs

User avatar
Stu935
Posts: 2254
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 pm
Location: Stockton - U.K.

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by Stu935 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:47 am

two great Porsche additions to your Daytina collection Jerry 8-)

User avatar
JBRedondo
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am
Location: Redondo Beach,CA

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by JBRedondo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Stu935 wrote:two great Porsche additions to your Daytina collection Jerry 8-)
Thanks Stuart and here is another one.
This time it is a 1978 winner Brumos Porsche 935, drivers: Rolf Stommelen, Peter Gregg and Toine Hezemans

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
JBRedondo
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am
Location: Redondo Beach,CA

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by JBRedondo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:16 pm

It's been a long time since my last Daytona winner. Here is a good one. The 1966 Ford MK II driven to win by Miles/Ruby.
This was an early MKII with one small cooling duct in the back.

Image
Image
Image
Image

Jerry

User avatar
reeft1
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by reeft1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:27 pm

Those fluro patches look a treat. Really like this one.

User avatar
JSB33
Site Admin
Posts: 38229
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:25 am
Location: Bedford
Contact:

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by JSB33 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:59 pm

Spark sure did right by the GT40.
Jeff
ImageImage

David C.
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:29 am

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by David C. » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:38 am

Still waiting for mine here in the US: I like that Spark added the front fender blister to the bodywork, on the minus side the both rear wheels are out of position.

User avatar
JBRedondo
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am
Location: Redondo Beach,CA

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by JBRedondo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:23 pm

reeft1 wrote:Those fluro patches look a treat. Really like this one.
I bought it without a serious enthusiasm, just to have another GT40. Jet it quickly become one of my favorites.
Thanks
JSB33 wrote:Spark sure did right by the GT40.
Exactly! Thanks Jeff
David C. wrote:Still waiting for mine here in the US: I like that Spark added the front fender blister to the bodywork, on the minus side the both rear wheels are out of position.
Thanks David. I've been buying my models overseas lately. They are cheaper, if you buy from store like Raceland for example, they deduct the steuer(value tax) that's 18% I think and that offsets the additional cost of mailing. Besides, you'll get it sooner.

User avatar
Jager
Posts: 7985
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by Jager » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:52 am

David C. wrote:.......on the minus side the both rear wheels are out of position.
I'm finding more and more, that Spark models are screwed so tightly to the baseplate that it can distort the axles and position of the wheels. Normally all it takes is a small 60-90 degree turn of the wheels (if they turn....some don't !) to restore them to the correct position.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

User avatar
Makalu
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:09 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by Makalu » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:37 pm

Jager wrote:
David C. wrote:.......on the minus side the both rear wheels are out of position.
I'm finding more and more, that Spark models are screwed so tightly to the baseplate that it can distort the axles and position of the wheels. Normally all it takes is a small 60-90 degree turn of the wheels (if they turn....some don't !) to restore them to the correct position.
That or the dreaded flatspots. I've found on one or two of my R18s that the front axles move side to side slightly which is really irritating.

User avatar
JBRedondo
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am
Location: Redondo Beach,CA

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by JBRedondo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Hard to believe, but the next Daytona 24hrs race is here in two weeks. The last time I checked my disorderly collection, I found two older Action (Minichamps) models of Corvettes that participated at 1999 and 2001 races. The 1999 car ( love the livery on this one) driven by Fellows/Kneifel/Paul jr ended 19th. THe 2001 car was driven by Earnhardt/Pilgrim/Collins/Earnhardt jr. to 4th place.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Jerry

User avatar
Jager
Posts: 7985
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by Jager » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:13 am

Those Action (aka Minichamps) Corvettes were very nicely done in their day and still stand up pretty well to scrutiny 15 years on. I recently picked up one of the Action Le Mans Corvettes from 2001 and couldn't believe how heavy it was compared to the resin cars of today.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

User avatar
Alfaholic
Posts: 2891
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by Alfaholic » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:17 am

The livery on the No. 2 is a nice change form the usual Corvette yellow.

I am also looking forward to this year's Daytona 24 Hours - a lot of new cars to see and gauge performance.
Martin

User avatar
JBRedondo
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am
Location: Redondo Beach,CA

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by JBRedondo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Jager wrote:Those Action (aka Minichamps) Corvettes were very nicely done in their day and still stand up pretty well to scrutiny 15 years on. I recently picked up one of the Action Le Mans Corvettes from 2001 and couldn't believe how heavy it was compared to the resin cars of today.
That's right Ian. They are very heavy indeed.
Jerry
Alfaholic wrote:The livery on the No. 2 is a nice change form the usual Corvette yellow.

I am also looking forward to this year's Daytona 24 Hours - a lot of new cars to see and gauge performance.
Yes, this one and the 2003 Aniversary blue,red,white liverys are my favorites.
This year's Daytona promises to be a good race. Some interesting cars and drivers.
Jerry

MassaFan
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by MassaFan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:08 am

Ok I know I am ahead of time and it hasn't raced yet but here is my 1:18 conversion of the BMW ArtCar that will race this year at the Daytona 24hrs.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
reeft1
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by reeft1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:02 pm

Very nice!

DeadCanDanceR
Posts: 25858
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:34 pm
Location: Guadalajara, MEXICO

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

reeft1 wrote:Very nice!
x 2 :)
-Julio-

User avatar
JBRedondo
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am
Location: Redondo Beach,CA

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by JBRedondo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:18 pm

that is a grand looking car & model
Jerry

User avatar
RaceOddity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow....or Calgary,Canada if you prefer.

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by RaceOddity » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:22 pm

you sir are a bad influence. actually the lot of you. I am resisting digging out my Daytona models.
But those ones are just soooo tasty. 8-)

Scott
Image

User avatar
JBRedondo
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am
Location: Redondo Beach,CA

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by JBRedondo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:36 pm

One of the positive things about getting old is that life is full of surprises. Yesterday I was looking for something else and I found two more "Daytona" models that I totally forgot about. They are 1998 BMW M3 #6 and 2004 BMW M3 #21. None of them finished the race, but the sister car of #6, BMW M3 #10 finished 6th over all and 1th in the GT3 class!

Image
Image
Image

Both models are the Minichamps
Jerry

User avatar
Alfaholic
Posts: 2891
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:20 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by Alfaholic » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Always happy to see an M3 Jerry, especially ones with numbers

I like the BBS wheels on the earlier one!
Martin

User avatar
Jager
Posts: 7985
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by Jager » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Interesting that despite a 6 year gap, the style and liveries of the car were so similar. You don't see that very often these days.

I'm the opposite of Martin. The gold BBS wheels are very 'old school', and I like the more modern wheels of the later car.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

User avatar
reeft1
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by reeft1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Im not fussy - both look great. Always loved the Yoko brand - had some on my mk2 escort rs2000. Lovely in the dry, sideways in the damp/wet

User avatar
JBRedondo
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am
Location: Redondo Beach,CA

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by JBRedondo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Alfaholic wrote:Always happy to see an M3 Jerry, especially ones with numbers

I like the BBS wheels on the earlier one!
Thanks Martin, M3's my favorite car as well but in its original form (E30)
Jerry
Jager wrote:Interesting that despite a 6 year gap, the style and liveries of the car were so similar. You don't see that very often these days.

I'm the opposite of Martin. The gold BBS wheels are very 'old school', and I like the more modern wheels of the later car.
Thanks Ian. I have to say I like the old BBS wheels too. Like these, mounted on the early BMW 2002s

Image

Jerry

User avatar
JBRedondo
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:30 am
Location: Redondo Beach,CA

Re: Daytona 24 Hrs

Post by JBRedondo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:58 pm

reeft1 wrote:Im not fussy - both look great. Always loved the Yoko brand - had some on my mk2 escort rs2000. Lovely in the dry, sideways in the damp/wet
Thanks! I did have the Yokohama tires on one of my cars too and liked them a lot. Excellent performance brand.

Jerry

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest