1988 Jag #2 Winner Le Mans(HPI) Decals application - help!

R32Dave

1988 Jag #2 Winner Le Mans(HPI) Decals application - help!

Postby R32Dave » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi,

I've got the HPI '88 LM Winner and now the Silk Cut Decals - is the easiest way to apply them to cut the decals? Seems a bit adhoc - have I got the wrong decals?
Help!
D

Jager

Re: 1988 Jag #2 Winner Le Mans(HPI) Decals application - help!

Postby Jager » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:05 am

Dave, as discussed previously, the correct HPI decals are already 'split' in two for the removable engine covers.

If your decals are not cut, I think your only choice is to cut them in half yourself if you want to be able to remove the engine covers.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Serafa

Postby Serafa » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:01 am

Applying decals can be a tricky task sometimes.

There are various types of decals. Some are already cut with the correct dimensions, others need to get cut in the exacte shape because they are printed in a single decal sheet.

Besides that, there are some decals that need a blank layer below due to its transparency.

Other than that, the process of applying it to the model is usually simple, I would only mind to search for photographic references in order to see the right position in the original 1:1 and be careful with very small decals.

reeft1

Postby reeft1 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:16 pm

From memory Spark decals are pre-cut. At the risk of stating the obvious cut a small one out square and then base your cutting on the results for the rest.

Serafa

Postby Serafa » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Yes, Spark's decals are pre-cut.

Jager

Postby Jager » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:51 am

When I was talking about cutting the decals, it was not in relation to cutting around the decals, but the fact that you have to cut through the middle of the decals for the removable engine cover. Remember that the decals are reversed on opposite sides of the car, so you need to slice through the "Cut" decal for the left, and the "Silk" decal for the right side of the car.

Technically the "C" and "u" should go over the vents :

This will be very difficult to achieve, so you might want to use to use a little creative licence and place the decals so that the vents fall in the space between the letters as shown on the model above. A suggestion from the old Autobarn forum for applying the decals to the 1987 Spark Jaguars which could also apply here was to cut out as much of the lower part of the decal as possible to help it fit better into the gaps around the engine vents.

Allow a lot of time and be patient !
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

R32Dave

Postby R32Dave » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:22 am

Phew!
Looks like it could be a tricky one as mine are definitely not pre-cut through the wording.
I think I'll be ok with the 'Silk' and 'Cut' but the front of the car is going to be hard.
As you said Ian, lots of time is required for this one - I knock off work on Tuesday so I'll leave myself plenty of time to get them done then.
Thanks for the help!
D

Return to “Race Cars”