Esteemed Advice - Quartzo v IXO?

R32Dave

Esteemed Advice - Quartzo v IXO?

Post by R32Dave » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:22 am

Hey folks,

I've been focusing on getting on with my Le Mans winners collection over the last couple of weeks, and during the course of my research I came across something I'm hoping one of you can help me with.
I know in most cases it is a subjective thing, but which would you suggest buying out of the IXO or Quartzo productions of the '51 Jaguar XK-120C #20 that won that year at Le Mans?
To my untrained eye, they look pretty neck-and-neck in terms of build quality and price but a second opinion(or two or three...) would be much appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IXO-LM1951-Ja ... SwUKxYhi95

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUARTZO-QLM02 ... Swqu9VLQfP

Cheers

Galaxy Gaz

Re: Esteemed Advice - Quartzo v IXO?

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Quartzo are an much older brand , owned by the Vitesse group so their models are not usually as good as more modern offerings .

I must admit that I do like Ixo as a brand and I have bought several of their Le Mans race cars and never had an issue with them ,so if it were my money , then I would be buying the Ixo Jaguar .
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:22 pm

While I have the Quartzo versions, my advice would be to by neither.

Spark announced the 1952 Le Mans Jaguars in their 2016 catalogue, and even though we haven't seen them yet, it is surely only a matter of time before Spark produce the 1951 and 1953 winners.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Stig

Post by Stig » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Jager wrote:While I have the Quartzo versions, my advice would be to by neither.

Spark announced the 1952 Le Mans Jaguars in their 2016 catalogue, and even though we haven't seen them yet, it is surely only a matter of time before Spark produce the 1951 and 1953 winners.
I agree

Sure that Spark will release them some day. We must to be patient. I've the '51 winner from Starter and the '53 from Auto Art, but I'll replace them when Spark versions will come.

R32Dave

Post by R32Dave » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks for the advice folks,

I was erring towards the Ixo, given their quiality reputation at a price within my range, but in light of the news of Spark's imminent release of the model, I'll hold fire and save up for it ;)
Also, given I've just snapped up the HPI open engine version of the '83 Porsche 956 #21 driven bu ANdretti and co that finished in 3rd(on Ebay at a bargain), I'll have to wait a bit.

Thanks again.

D

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Sadly there was no news on the '51 and '53 winning Jaguars in Spark's 2017 catalogue, so they are probably at least 2 - 3 years away as a minimum.

If you could find the Quartzo's or IXO's cheaply enough, you could always add them as a stop gap measure until the Spark's are announced, then resell them on eBay.

R32Dave

Post by R32Dave » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Ian,

I think thats what I'll do.
The Ixos seem to hold their value(albeit relatively low), so I'll plump for that

Thanks for your help!

D

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:00 pm

R32Dave wrote:Thanks for the advice folks,

I was erring towards the Ixo, given their quiality reputation at a price within my range, but in light of the news of Spark's imminent release of the model, I'll hold fire and save up for it ;)
Also, given I've just snapped up the HPI open engine version of the '83 Porsche 956 #21 driven bu ANdretti and co that finished in 3rd(on Ebay at a bargain), I'll have to wait a bit.

Thanks again.

D
Congrats , you got yourself a stunning Porsche model , heres mine

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Stig

Post by Stig » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:50 am

If you're going to buy the '53 winner meanwhile wait for Spark's one, I would go for the Auto Art.

If you can forgive the AA's number plate mistake (wrong colours), rest of the model is better than Ixo/Quartzo

R32Dave

Post by R32Dave » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:11 am

Galaxy Gaz wrote:
R32Dave wrote:Thanks for the advice folks,

Thanks again.

D
Congrats , you got yourself a stunning Porsche model , heres mine

It's a lovely model Gaz.
I've just posted a pic of it amongst my other HPI 956's - they go well together!
I've got the '88 Jag XJR-9 winner from HPI as a work in progress - still have to cut the decals to size - so I'm looking ofrward to getting that on display as well.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 am

I love the HPI Porsche 956's, but have realised that the real 956 engine bays were far more complex than represented by HPI :