911 RSR #22

LUW

911 RSR #22

Post by LUW » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 am

What's the best option in terms of bang-for-the-buck for the 911 RSR Turbo #22 from Le Mans 1974 :?:?

This is one of my favorite Porsche from Le Mans and a model I just have to have in 1:43.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: 911 RSR #22

Post by JSB33 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:16 am

I have a #21 by Schuco (I think) I took the 21 because it was cheaper.
Jeff
ImageImage

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:17 am

Funny you should ask, we discussed this recently in Andy's thread :

http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=24& ... &start=216

Simplistically you have 3 choices :

Older Ebbro for $20 - 30,
New TSM for $70 - 80,
Make Up for +$250

The choice is really up to you and what you can find. Personally I'd be included to go for the cheaper Ebbro (shown here) and put the rest of the money you save towards the Premium Classixxs Martini transporter :

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:19 am

JSB33 wrote:I have a #21 by Schuco (I think) I took the 21 because it was cheaper.
I could be wrong, but I think that's the Ebbro version Jeff.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:23 am

Jager wrote:
JSB33 wrote:I have a #21 by Schuco (I think) I took the 21 because it was cheaper.
I could be wrong, but I think that's the Ebbro version Jeff.
You are correct. That is what I get for looking without my glasses on.....
Jeff
ImageImage

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:04 am

I'm not (yet) familiar with all the 1:43 brands, so I'm a bit lost. Could anyone translate that in terms of 1:18? Would the Ebbro be equivalent to a Maisto and the TSM would be an Aa or Kyosho? The price difference is big, so I would exepct that there will also be a big difference in detail level. Still, this 1:43 thing is NOT supposed to be an expensive hobby, so I rather not break the bank.

However a transporter like that is really tempting... These onluine forums are a bad influence :o
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Stu935

Post by Stu935 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:21 am

Jager wrote:Funny you should ask, we discussed this recently in Andy's thread :

http://scale143.com/viewtopic.php?f=24& ... &start=216

Simplistically you have 3 choices :

Older Ebbro for $20 - 30,
New TSM for $70 - 80,
Make Up for +$250

The choice is really up to you and what you can find. Personally I'd be included to go for the cheaper Ebbro (shown here) and put the rest of the money you save towards the Premium Classixxs Martini transporter :
I agree with Ian, I think the Ebbro would be the best choice with regards to bang-for-your-buck. I had the #22 Ebbro RSR and thought it was a great model, especially for the price.

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:31 am

Your comparison between Maisto and Kyosho is a fair one Luc , but in reality , the Ebbro RSR is nicer than even the best Maisto .

The True Scale RSR is beautiful , but for me at least , I would find it very hard to pay the premium for the TSM and as Ian (Jager) says , I too would go for the Ebbro and put the rest of the money towards something else.
I owned the Ebbro (albeit the #21 car ) and was always very happy with its quality (yes I know its dusty lol)

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Added to the wish list. Must be the wildest evolution of this car, and one I'd love to have. I love all my Ebbro models, so I'll probably get that.

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Good to know that the Ebbro is "better then Maisto". Maisto could make some very nice budget models, but for collectors like me (and I think Gary would agree), Aa, Kyosho and MC were the "base line" of the hobby: good enough (outstanding sometimes) details for a reasonable price. This is a really special car for me, so maybe I should go for the TSM version. Well, price and availability will decide it in the end, but I'm very happy to know that even the cheaper Ebbro will be a good buy. Though it has to be the #22.

PS: And BTW, I only had this in 1:18 because of the generosity of, at the time, one Sir Gary, who bought it for me at a Porsche dealership and shipped it across the ocean :). It was one of the hardest models to sell when I ended my collection.
Image The Garage

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:55 am

Luciano, don't let the potentially cheap price of the Ebbro put you off Luciano. Ebbro make some very nice models and when new these typically sold for $50 (and you'll still find plenty of retailers trying to sell them at this price). However, like a lot of 1:43 models, you can often find older models at substantial discounts and its the same with this one.

The key to 1:43 collecting if your new is to be patient and hunt around. Taking the #22 Porsche as an example, there have been a huge variation in prices over the last 3 months :

US$ 16.40 (sold in France) :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-RSR ... Sw-0xYSYpH

US$ 36.80 [sold in Japan) :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ebbro-44308-POR ... c3A_YNXqYw

US$ 55.20 (sold in Germany)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ebbro-Porsche-9 ... SwoU9X8Rvd

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:08 am

Hey bud , theres a cheap one here in the UK if you want me to try and grab it for you

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-43-Ebbro-43 ... Swx2dYHyrz

Theres also a buy it now in Japan which isnt too bad either

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ebbro-44308-P ... c3A_YNXqYw

LUW

Post by LUW » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:17 am

Thanks for the links! The only one I had found on eBay (US, I totally forgot about eBay UK :roll:) was more then those. So I just put a bid on the UK auction, let's see how it goes. I'll definitively let you know. And send the bill :lol:.

Jager, with my experience with 1:18, I learned that price and brand do NOT mean a bad or good model. As I was found of saying, "buy the model, not the brand". The problem with 1:43 is that I really don't know yet what to expect from all the brands, if a specific brand has fantastic models and also some really crappy ones. But I'll get there ;).
Image The Garage

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:13 pm

Hey Luc , I just noticed that the RSR here in the UK belongs to a fellow member on S143 . His username in jinxvrs and he is called Steve....might be worth you sending him a PM on here .
He is a real nice guy and I`m sure you could come to some deal away from Ebay ;)

911RSR

Post by 911RSR » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi Luciano,

Just my two cents, but for me the 'pin mounted' headlamps from the EBBRO would annoy me. So if this is model you do really really want, go for the TSM. I see TSM models as Spark models sold at a premium, so they are overpriced and not as much bang for the buck as possible. But if details matter to you, maybe you want to reconsider?

Just as a remark, I think that Spark models are good quality and reasonably priced and Schuco models get you more bang for the buck. So now you know my reference;)

Good luck,
Tonie

Oh BTW, I think the Norev version is also pretty good, but that's probably not what you want to hear;)

LUW

Post by LUW » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Galaxy Gaz wrote:Hey Luc , I just noticed that the RSR here in the UK belongs to a fellow member on S143 . His username in jinxvrs and he is called Steve....might be worth you sending him a PM on here .
He pulled the car from the auction :(.
911RSR wrote:Just my two cents, but for me the 'pin mounted' headlamps from the EBBRO would annoy me. So if this is model you do really really want, go for the TSM. I see TSM models as Spark models sold at a premium, so they are overpriced and not as much bang for the buck as possible. But if details matter to you, maybe you want to reconsider?
Looks like I was forced to reconsider :lol:. Good to know about the pins, I'll try to find some good photos of the two to compare.
Image The Garage

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:16 pm

LUW wrote:
Galaxy Gaz wrote:Hey Luc , I just noticed that the RSR here in the UK belongs to a fellow member on S143 . His username in jinxvrs and he is called Steve....might be worth you sending him a PM on here .
He pulled the car from the auction :(.
Luc you have a PM.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:39 am

LUW wrote:
Jager, with my experience with 1:18, I learned that price and brand do NOT mean a bad or good model. As I was found of saying, "buy the model, not the brand". The problem with 1:43 is that I really don't know yet what to expect from all the brands, if a specific brand has fantastic models and also some really crappy ones. But I'll get there ;).
Exactly why this forum exists. I was in the exact same spot and had no place to find this stuff out.
Jeff
ImageImage

911RSR

Post by 911RSR » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:44 am

LUW wrote: Good to know about the pins, I'll try to find some good photos of the two to compare.
You can already see it in the (nice) picture shared by Jager. I am referring to the black spots in the middle of the lenses. I am pretty certain that you won't have this with TSM.

While browsing the internet I also found this. This is maybe a reissue or something (it looks like the base has changed as well) and at least from these pictures it looks like the headlamps are properly glued in place.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 am

JSB33 wrote:Exactly why this forum exists.
Really? I was under the impression places like this were made to get me bankrupt and/or in trouble with my Chief Executive Commander? :shock:
Image The Garage

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:23 am

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the 'pins' on the Ebbro model. It's not like the 1:1 had perfectly clear headlamps and to some extent the 'pins' on the model are representative of the detail inside the headlamps you can see here :

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:39 am

Nah, I'm fine with pins on a 1:43 (however, I was known to have hissyfits about them in 1:18 :lol:). I'm more interested in overall shape and paint details, but unfortunately I don't know what to expect from TSM or Ebbro, since I don't have anything from them yet. So far my bread-and-butter has been Ixo and it's sub brands.
Image The Garage

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:10 am

Hey bud , take a look at this , its a 935 from Ebbro that I owned before the sell off. It was very , very nice but this is what Ebbro can give you.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:49 am

Honestly Gary? You don't need anything better then that. At least I don't, and you may recall that I had quite a few superb models in 1:18, so it's not that I don't know how good a diecast can be. Just as an example, today I recevied a 312PB form one of those magazine collections. I don't know if you guys have those, but down here they've been popular for the last decade or so: a publisher creates a collection of magazines that each come with the car featured in the magazine in usually 1:43 or 1:64. I haven't had the time to properly open it, so I'm not exactly sure what brand it is (I suspect Altaya), but it looks terrific and I bought it for about 15 bucks.

It was cheap, it represents the real car VERY well and it will look fantastic on my display shelf. What else do I need :ugeek:?
PS: Well, a display shelf would be nice to have...
Image The Garage