50 Favourite Le Mans Cars

stewil

Re: 50 Favourite Le Mans Cars

Post by stewil » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:05 am

Finally
#1 according to AUTOSPORT is the Porsche 956/962.

There's no debate. The Porsche 956 and its long-wheelbase cousin, the 962, has to be our favourite Le Mans racer of all time. It gets the nod for its record, for its longevity and for its ubiquity. The history of the 24 Hours would be very different without it. - Gary Watkins / AUTOSPORT

Here are a few examples by Quartzo above and Minichamps, both 956's, two views

and this 962 by Spark

My thanks to Jager for starting this fun thread, a real trip down memory lane; and to all who posted pics, many models were new to me.
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

jinx

Post by jinx » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:21 am

#1 Porsche 956/962

It could be suspected that I just might agree with Autosport's thinking about the #1 :D

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:56 am

Skoal Bandit is my fave.
Stunning group, Steve.
Jeff
ImageImage

JBRedondo

Post by JBRedondo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:08 am

#1 LeMans Car of all times is Porsche 956/962
That is Autosport's decision and at least statistically, it has a lot of sence.

Spark and HPI models

all Sparks

HPI and Ebbro

Jerry

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:05 am

Having started this thread, I didn't get a chance to contribute due to my travel. Nevertheless, here's my contribution for the #1 Porsche 956/962 :

Some of my 956's...a mixture of Minichamps, Spark, Quartzo & HPI :

.....and some of my 962's, mostly all Sparks, but there's a Quartzo hidden in there as well :

Now, what are the cars we like that didn't make the list but we'd include in our own personal 'Top 50'.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

stewil

Post by stewil » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 am

WOW - some of you are really into those 956/962's. No wonder voted #1 by Autosport, you all too it seems.

Now that we have finished the Autosport Top 50 LM cars: http://lemanscars.autosport.com/ there may be a few others that we might want to share.
In fact, Jager who started this thread in the post above stated, Now, what are the cars we like that didn't make the list but we'd include in our own personal 'Top 50'.

Here is my eclectic contribution.
The 1st LM winner in 1923.

This is my LeMans display focused upon the 1950's Cunningham effort seen from the background poster and the white/blue striped cars below it.

Following are three closeup panels showing representative LM cars in the display, based on their significance and/or are just interesting to me.

How does one make a car go fast? Bigger engine, better brakes & handling, greater reliability, crew efficiency, weight reduction, Aero design, driver, etc.?

Please note that the winning car's average speed & miles traveled is listed, thus one can follow the evolution of design as the equation of speed has been grappled with since 1923, at the same race track, LeMans.

Love those graphics for some reason

A pair of #'s 007.

With some LeMans stats

The sponsor

1/18th scale row

IMHO the Ferrari Dino 206S was the better looking than the P4. These cars ran at LeMans but never finished as far as I know.
Links: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/1113 ... pyder.html and http://www.racingsportscars.com/type/ph ... 6%20S.html

A few more shots

This one of the complete LeMans display (incl. Ferrari P series) with some 1/18th scale endurance racers shown on the shelf below it.

Favorite 1/18th endurance racers on the left from older to younger, and many 1/43ed groups of endurance cars in the 1/24th scale cabinet compartments across from it.

Showing both shelves of 1/18th scale racers
Last edited by stewil on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Steve, thanks for sharing the pics of your collection (it looks more like a museum than just a collection !).

Seeing your pics made me think there deserves to be at least one Cunningham in the list and my nomination would be the C4-R that finished 3rd in 1954 :

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:35 am

Very nice, Ian. What make is the trailer?
Jeff
ImageImage

69Stang

Post by 69Stang » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:07 am

Man, this thread just gets better and better!!! Love the dio photos showing up lately as well!!
Racecar spelled backwards is STILL Racecar!

stewil

Post by stewil » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Jager,
Nice to see the dio with the Cunningham. Durham or Brooklin or anothers truck/trailer?
BTW - That 1953 C5R is the real best finished beauty. :)
Steve

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:16 pm

The trailer is from GMP - they were readily available a few years ago under $20, though the supply does seem to have dried up. However I did a quick check of past eBay auctions and one sold on eBay UK for just GBP 12.50.

The trailer comes with 3 different shaped tow hitches that can be attached to a tow vehicle of your choice. The tyre rack on the front can be removed if not required, which is what I have done.

In this case, the tow vehicle is a cheap $10 Cararama, which looks fine from a distance (and even better when slightly out of focus in the background of a picture !).

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:58 am

Coming back to the list, one noticeable absence already noted on the Autosport feedback is the Corvette C5-R / C6-R. The Corvette has beeen a solid competitor for 13 years (2000 to 2012) and arguably the GT class would not be as strong today without GM's support.

However, its not just its GT results that are impressive - this is a car that finished 4th & 7th outright in 2006, 5th & 6th outright in 2005 and 6th outright in 2007.

Aside from that, the rumble from these 6 & 7 litre monsters is fantastic !

You guys must have some Corvette pictures in your files !

URQRR20V

Post by URQRR20V » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:20 am

Fantastic pics and at the risk of repeating my pics here are the ones from my other thread. The Bob Jane car has Peter Brock as co-driver - this is an earlier issue and the later one that came out around the time of his death hit massive prices. The New Man liveried car also has a version driven by Ayrton Senna (which I have somewhere...note to self - take group shop of 956/962 at next opportunity)

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:30 am

I can do a Corvette

And some Cunningham
Jeff
ImageImage

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 am

URQRR20V wrote:Fantastic pics and at the risk of repeating my pics here are the ones from my other thread. The Bob Jane car has Peter Brock as co-driver - this is an earlier issue and the later one that came out around the time of his death hit massive prices.

At the risk of taking this topic off topic, there was only one Minichamps/Biante version of the 'Bob Jane' Porsche 956, released in late August 2006, just 10 days prior to the death of Peter Brock (the earlier version was from Vitesse).

While the high prices at the time were partly a function of Peter Brock's huge popularity in Australia, it was also due to the general Minichamps frenzy in those days - remembering there were no Spark or HPI 956's. I doubt you'd see such high prices if the same situation repeated itself today.

URQRR20V

Post by URQRR20V » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:16 am

I stand corrected - thanks Jager - dont know why I thought that. I did indeed record it as a a Biante Special Edition and paid £50 for it in March 2007. Doh :?

Hawk

Post by Hawk » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:25 pm

You guys have some amazing looking cars. I drool everytime I see this thread. Great pic by everyone

1950gordini

Post by 1950gordini » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Stewil, your collection is awesome, especially the 1950s. Question: The third pix contains a 1949 Talbot #6 and the #11 Nash Healey. Both caught my eye immediately. What model brands are they? Hand-builts? Did you build them? Those are the pieces that interest me because of the time period (1945-1954 cars and races of the post-war sport car scene).

stewil

Post by stewil » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi 1950gordini,
Question: The third pix contains a 1949 Talbot #6 and the #11 Nash Healey. Both caught my eye immediately. What model brands are they? Hand-builts? Did you build them?
1949 Talbot was a built up Renaissance kit and the Nash Healy was produced by Bizarre Models. Hope that helps.
Steve

jj2728

Post by jj2728 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:56 am

A fantastic collection you have there Steve.

RaceOddity
Location: I come from the land of ice and snow....or Calgary,Canada if you prefer.

Post by RaceOddity » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:55 am

JSB33 wrote:I can do a Corvette

And some Cunningham
Me too!!!

(including Mr. Cunningham's trip to the dark side...)

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:58 pm

Just discovered this thread: WOW! Still wiping the drool off my keyboard...

stewil

Post by stewil » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:15 pm

I would like to add a few LeMans racers that I find personally interesting.

The 1938 Embiricos Bentley is a beauty with an interesting story. It competed at LeMans three times with a best result of 6th O.A. in 1949.
In 1939, a year before the WWII, a Parisian, Andre Embiricos, was interested in a special Bentley. Built by boutique French coachbuilder Pourtout and styled by Frenchman Georges Paulin, who was responsible for designing the streamlined bodywork with the extensive wind-tunnel testing, the Bentley and Rolls Royce engineers developed the experimental 'Continental'. A phenomenally advanced vehicle, this was a revolutionary looking 4-liter Bentley'. With it's mechanical advancements, streamlined design and lightweight coachwork, it was considered to be a true ‘super-car' forty years before the term was even coined.

Beautiful "tear drop" styling made for a great look but was not as efficient at slicing through the air as believed at the time.

Beautiful interior detailing by MPH models. I believe that several other manufacturers will be offering the Embiricos Bentley soon.
Story here: http://www.classicandperformancecar.com ... ntley.html

Another interesting car to me is this 1950 V8 Caddy powered Allard J2 that was driven by Sidney Allard himself.

The Allard was an iconic race car in the early American SCCA racing scene.

This model produced by Bizarre

In 1952 this Allard was powered by a Chrysler Hemi V8 and what intrigued me was learning that the driver was Zora Arkus-Duntov
who became the engineer that put performance into the Corvette. Note the differing wheels front to back.
His story here: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/s ... ee759c.jpg

The Allard was a DNF at the 1952 LeMans as was the sister car, #4 driven by Sidney Allard. Model by the Top Model Collection.

The 3ed place car in 1952 was a Nash Healy which which has an interesting story, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash-Healey
The Nash-Healey was the product of the partnership between Nash-Kelvinator Corporation and British automaker Donald Healey
and many believe that the car looked like this 1953 Nash Healy roadster produced by Brooklin models.

But this is how the 3ed place LeMans racer looked in 1952 with it's light weight body.

There was another Nash Healy also competing at LeMans in 1952 which was prettier but less successful. Nice nose and an

Interesting rear with that spare sticking out the boot. Both models by Bizarre.

For the "pretty in green" prize I will have to go with this shapely 1956 Frazer Nash.

which has an interesting cover over the passenger seat - aerodynamics?

Another view. Model produced by Bizarre.
Steve

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Gorgeous models, Steve! ;)

A few years ago I saw a beautiful Frazer Nash model for sale, and was very tempted but decided not to buy it... After seeing your model I definitely think that I should have bought it... :?
-Julio-