Searching for a half-cab truck

Ozmac

Searching for a half-cab truck

Post by Ozmac » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:34 am

Recently I spotted in traffic a half-cab truck that gave me a huge childhood flashback to a truck that I used to see regularly as a kid. It was immediately my favourite truck because of that half-cab. Now, I've been searching the net ever since to find out who made these things, and of course if I ever find that information out I can then embark on looking for a model of one. So I hope one of our knowledgeable members can help me out.

The best I have managed so far is to find a very 70s-looking, angular version of what I remember. The half-cab that I remember always carried long steel pipes or rods for building sites, and the one I spotted in traffic was laden with rods.

However, the truck that captured my 10-year-old imagination was much more rounded in the cabin, probably a 50s or 60s era truck.

Searching online, I gather that Foden made a lot of half-cabs, but can anyone help me out with a few clues as to who made these things? In the 50s and 60s most of our trucks in Australia were British-made (I think) but it might be an American brand I am thinking of. I just don't know!

Jager

Re: Searching for a half-cab truck

Post by Jager » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:48 am

I don't recall seeing any half cab trucks in 1:43, but I think there are some half cab 1950's buses available that you might be able to convert to a truck.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:27 am

I can remember seeing some International Half cabs growing up.

I found this picture online
Jeff
ImageImage

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:36 pm

I really like that Transporter, might try to make one myself one day.

I can't recall ever seeing a decent model -not a toy- of a half cab. Sounds like a nice challenge for your modelling skills, Jamie!

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Thanks Ian, Jeff and Tom.

Minor breakthrough in my searching of Google Images ... I took Jeff's suggestion and searched for International Half Cabs, and landed on a photo of an International "Island Cab" truck. So I started searching for "Island Cab" trucks and got quite a few hits. As well as International, I found older Austin and Albion Island cab trucks, and in current day trucks you can get Isuzu and Mitsubishi island cab "pole carriers" as well.

Tom is right, though. I don't think I'll ever find a model of one of these weirdos. I think I might have to buy a flatbed truck and scratch-build my own island cab, which will be very difficult, but not impossible. And that VW carrier does look cool, too ...

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:41 pm

Foden used to produce a half cab model of their S50 but it was nearly always fitted with a tipper body . They were built at the request of some customers as the insurance on them was less than a regular cab as only 1 person could be carried in them.

Another UK maker , Atkinson , also produced a half cab which was mainly fitted with a crane. The long crane jib would lower to lie alongside the cab when travelling on the road.
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche......Evolution , not Revolution

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:17 am

Here they were mostly in use at the airport, as on-site trailer movers for transport firms and in the harbour.

Google images and 'terreintrekker' shows lots of examples.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:06 am

Here you go Jamie :

"The Foden Dump Truck was the last large scale model produced by Morestone and it had a short life although it was re-issued in 1959 as Budgie Toy No.226 with minor changes. Although it was based on a very tough vehicle, the model itself was not especially robust. Length 108mm."

While it looks quite basic, perhaps it has enough potential to be used as the base for a custom build ?

There is one on eBay currently at a low price but with 5 days to go :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORESTONE-SER ... Swo4pYHd9C

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Jamie, I spotted this Dinky pipe truck and thought of your post from last month.

Yours for the bargain price of £449.95 !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/French-Dinky- ... Sw0fhXjlYB

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:07 pm

Jager wrote:Here you go Jamie :

"The Foden Dump Truck was the last large scale model produced by Morestone and it had a short life although it was re-issued in 1959 as Budgie Toy No.226 with minor changes. Although it was based on a very tough vehicle, the model itself was not especially robust. Length 108mm."

While it looks quite basic, perhaps it has enough potential to be used as the base for a custom build ?

There is one on eBay currently at a low price but with 5 days to go :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORESTONE-SER ... Swo4pYHd9C
I have one very similar to this but it has a plow on the front. Its in a box at my Dads house.
Jeff
ImageImage

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Jager wrote:Jamie, I spotted this Dinky pipe truck and thought of your post from last month.

Ian, thank you. Just 440 pounds too expensive for my semi-retired collector's budget, but strangely enough it's a comfort to know one exists. It is EXACTLY the model I was thinking of. I'll just add the search parameters to eBay, and once I find one, open the bidding at one dollar and hope I win! Terrible plan, but it's all I have.

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:24 pm

Ozmac a cheaper option is the Dinky Toys half cab Foden Dump Truck with bulldozer blade - should be a few knocking around awaiting conversion and much bigger than the rare Morestone version, which I have only ever seen one in MB condition in the metal!

Jeff I reckon this is the version still at your Dad’s house.

Dinky Toys introduced their fabulous half cab Foden Dump Truck with bulldozer blade in 1961 and it was withdrawn in 1968. Issued under reference number 959 it was a late entry into what would become Dinky’s classic period and had modern features like windows and featured a more realistic ‘hydraulic’ movement to the tipping action. It was a robust model measuring 165mm and because it was in Dinky’s Supertoys range it is around 1:48th scale. The reason for the addition of the bulldozer blade was that it was based on a real version that was one of six built specifically for use in a Sheffield steel works.

Foden dump trucks were developed from 1947 and released in two and three axle configurations. The two axle version had a capacity of 21 tons and three axle version 35 tons. In the early post war years Britain was engaged in re-building its infrastructure and many commercial vehicle companies started to introduce models like dump trucks to cope with the demand for construction vehicles. Foden became famous for their off-road dump trucks and were represented in miniature by major toy manufacturers with Dinky Toys producing a three axle model and Lesney a two axle version in their King Size series.

Chris

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:49 am

Chris, I have that truck in all red. Thanks so much for the info.
Jeff
ImageImage

Chris Sweetman

Post by Chris Sweetman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:48 am

JSB33 wrote:Chris, I have that truck in all red. Thanks so much for the info.
You are welcome Jeff and all red was the main colour way for this model which also had either red or yellow wheel hubs.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:27 am

Ozmac wrote:
Jager wrote:Jamie, I spotted this Dinky pipe truck and thought of your post from last month.

Ian, thank you. Just 440 pounds too expensive for my semi-retired collector's budget, but strangely enough it's a comfort to know one exists. It is EXACTLY the model I was thinking of. I'll just add the search parameters to eBay, and once I find one, open the bidding at one dollar and hope I win! Terrible plan, but it's all I have.
Hi Jamie, I just noticed Dan Toys in Paris have produced a reproduction of the Dinky Pipe Truck for a more affordable Euro 80 :

http://www.dan-toys.net/fiche.ahd?idart=24170

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Wow, thanks Ian. It looks great, very tempting!