Ixo/ Altaya Land Rover 88 SWB Series 2

Galaxy Gaz

Ixo/ Altaya Land Rover 88 SWB Series 2

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:36 pm

The successor to the successful Series I was the Series II, which saw a production run from 1958 to 1961. It came in 88 inch and 109 inch wheelbases (normally referred to as the 'SWB' and 'LWB').
This was the first Land Rover to receive the attention of Rover's styling department . Chief stylist David Bache produced the familiar 'barrel side' waistline to cover the vehicle's wider track and the improved design of the truck cab variant , introducing the curved side windows and rounded roof still used on current Land Rovers. The Series II was the first vehicle to use the well-known 2.25-litre petrol engine, although the first 1,500 or so short wheelbase (SWB) models retained the 52 hp 2.0-litre petrol engine from the Series I. This larger petrol engine produced 72 hp and was closely related to the 2.0-litre diesel unit still in use. This engine became the standard Land Rover unit until the mid-1980s when diesel engines became more popular.

This model was listed as an Ixo but arrived in a blister pack so it is obviously a PW model , possibly from Altaya. The model is really well done considering its price and even the rear lights are coloured plastic and not just painted on . The wheels will get their centre hubs and wheelnuts picked out on black , but other than that its good to go.

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche......Evolution , not Revolution

LUW

Re: Ixo/ Altaya Land Rover 88 SWB Series 2

Post by LUW » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:49 pm

I wonder how it would look if it hadn't received attention from the styling department...Image
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:02 pm

This looks even better in your pics than the ones you showed earlier. The paint is glossier and the wheels look sharper. Nice buy !
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:03 am

Jager wrote:This looks even better in your pics than the ones you showed earlier. The paint is glossier and the wheels look sharper. Nice buy !
What he said.
Now get some black paint on those lug nuts.
Jeff
ImageImage

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:52 am

Somehow early SWB LRs really appeal to me. Nice, another one to look out for.