Porsche (MB) Transporter

LUW

Porsche (MB) Transporter

Post by LUW » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:05 pm

From the little research I did, I gathered Porsche ordered two 0317 bus chassis from MB and had someone in Stuttgart craft the body from their specs, specially with the Carrera 6 LH in mind. It was used from 1968 to the early 80's, and I think this was the original livery. Later on it was painted in Martini, Gulf and in Rothmans colors.

I'm seriously thinking about getting the original dark red one from Premium Classixxs, since there's an Easter promotion in a local shop where I could get it for almost eBay prices without international shipping hassle. And yes, diecast and Easter have a lot in common :lol: . I will, in the future, build a special display case for it and obviously have a Le Mans car on the bed in the rear. So that got me thinking: what cars did it carry in this particular livery? I would think all of Porsche's factory team cars from 68 to 70, but I couldn't confirm this. I would assume that from 1971 on-wards it wasn't this color anymore, so I have to limit myself to cars from those three years (not that there will be too few to choose from).

But what about the winning 917K #23 from 1970? It was from the Porsche KG Salzburg team, and from what I understood, it was basically a second factory team together with the John Wyer team. Maybe the John Wyer team had the second bus, in Gulf colors?

Could anyone please clarify?
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

LUW

Re: Porsche (MB) Transporter

Post by LUW » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Holy mercaptans Batman, I just found this;

Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds! Image
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

zimbo

Post by zimbo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:57 pm

That's a great picture 8-)
Alistair

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:07 pm

I used to have the Premium Classix Gulf and Martini Transporters . They were very nice , but they went with all the other Porsche related stuff.......regrets?....oh yes indeedy :cry:

JW did indeed have a different style Transporter which is available from Spark....Have you seen Andy`s thread here

viewtopic.php?t=5159

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche......Evolution , not Revolution

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Oh yeh....dont forget theres an Essex version too

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi Luc, here's some good information from our resident Porsche expert Danny from an earlier thread:
The Porsche MB O317 renntransporters where red in the first place when bought by Porsche. One was lent to John Wyer who used it together with their own AEC regal VI and was painted in the gulf colours for 1970 and 1971, the others stayed red. In 1972 they where hardly used because there was no official race team. In 1973 the gulf transporter was sold to BMW and one of the others painted silver for the Porsche Martini racing team now being the factory team while the third stil kept red. The martini livered cars which raced in 1971 where entered by the team of Hans-Dieter Dechent. This team moved its race cars on a trailer pulled by rented Magirius trucks. For 1976 both remaining renntransporters where repainted in white. This was now the colour of the racers. In 1979 the martini livery was replaced by essex, a year later to be replaced with Porsche motorsport striping and finally repainted in Rothmans blue and white.

It seems like the red transporter was used to carry the two Martini liveried 917's in 1971. Apparently it didn't carry the Pink Pig because it was too wide to fit in any transporter and needed to be transported on a trailer.

viewtopic.php?t=10313
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Here's a pic of my own Gulf transporter. I stopped at 3 Porsche versions......Gulf, Silver Martini & Rothmans, plus the BMW version.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:36 am

Drool! Not going there... one expensive and large transporter is enough.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:59 am

Terrific, looks like I got most of it right. Thanks for the info Ian!
So I "can" use the Martini #22 on it, but what about the Salzburg #23?
Image The Garage

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:19 am

No one seems to know for sure if the #23 Salzburg Porsche was carried in the Porsche transporter. They were both red, but that may be the only similarity as there was a sister car to the #23 entry painted in a matching blue and white livery which carried #24 that was withdrawn prior to the start of the race.

A few years ago I came across this picture of the #23 917 on the back of a small MB truck, but no-one can say for sure if this on the way back from Le Mans.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:41 am

Imagine coming down the Autobahn and catching up to a 917K staring back at you :D.

If I would to hazard a guess, if that pic was actually made around the 70's Le Mans race, I would say that was the #23 going back to Stuttgart (or Salzburg?). The whole race was a deluge, so from the state of the truck and car I would say it looks like they were going home afterwards. However I also would expect to see the 917K much more roughed up after 24 hours of war Image.

So... The Buster could have carried the #23. I think that the red color of the #23 isn't what defines the Porsche Salzburg team, but the stripes - they also had a blue 917K in the same pattern of the #23 but in blue. And from Ian's pic, the original transporter did carry the Martini #22 from the following year, so I think in the beginning it was a "general" hauler for Porsche. Since I am also getting the Martini #22 I think I won't make a fumble. Nice to have options ;).
Image The Garage

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:49 am

Ian, that truck is an Opel Blitz.

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Nice thread!

Luciano, I think you should move forward with this red transporter, but I think it looks better with the 1969 Porsche cars, like in Gary's picture. Even though the transporter would be technically correct with the 1971 Porsches #21, #22 and #23. But that's only my opinion.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:33 pm

You know Bruno, I also think it would look better with the white 908LH or 917LH of 69. I don't know, I have a feeling that the white cars will blend in better in my eyes. The only reason I'm pushing the #23 is because it will be the first one that I'll get (it's already en route). But the nice thing about Buster is that there are quite a few cars that can be used. With that truck in other liveries your options are much more restricted.
Image The Garage

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:48 pm

LUW wrote:If I would to hazard a guess, if that pic was actually made around the 70's Le Mans race, I would say that was the #23 going back to Stuttgart (or Salzburg?). The whole race was a deluge, so from the state of the truck and car I would say it looks like they were going home afterwards. However I also would expect to see the 917K much more roughed up after 24 hours of war
That was my thought too Luc. However, if you look at all the pictures of the 917 from 1970, the car suffered no damage and was remarkably clean despite 24 hours of racing.

Unfortunately after a bit more research I've concluded this isn't the actual race car post race. The giveaway is the Goodyear logo on the engine cover, which has a yellow script on a blue background, whereas the race car had a blue script on a yellow background. Maybe this was taken later after the car was placed in the Porsche musuem.
Tom wrote:Ian, that truck is an Opel Blitz.
Thanks Tom...I should have known that. My understanding is its the second series produced from 1965 to 1975, which fits roughly with the age of the Porsche.
Serafa wrote:Luciano, I think you should move forward with this red transporter, but I think it looks better with the 1969 Porsche cars, like in Gary's
picture. Even though the transporter would be technically correct with the 1971 Porsches #21, #22 and #23. But that's only my opinion.
Nice idea Bruno, but unfortunately the cars in Gary's picture are short tail versions and therefore not from Le Mans. In 1969 Porsche had an eclectic mix of machinery. As you can see from the picture of the start below, the factory entered two new 917's (#12, #14) and three 908 Langheck's (#22, #23, #64). The #20 908 Spyder you can see was privately entered.

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:56 am

I was going to say that maybe the pic of the 908s was made before the 1968 race but I just checked and all of the 908 in LM that year were long tails, so I can't use short tails :D.
Image The Garage

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:50 am

Well, Buster is paid for Image.

Now I got my sights on this one:

But it will have to wait. Today is only the 17th and I already blew my toy budget :roll:.
Image The Garage

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:37 am

Monthly budgets are renewed weekly arent they ? :lol:

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:07 pm

Sooooo funny.
Not.
Image The Garage

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:26 pm

I know what that feels like.

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:30 pm

And you know what Tom? In the end, it's better of only being able to get stuff slowly and not by the boat load. That way there will always be something to keep your interest peaked in the hobby. However, since 1:43 is a LOT cheaper then 1:18, things can get out of hand more easily.

I'm trying, and down here the nice people at Customs REALLY help in keeping things coming slowly.
Image The Garage

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:39 pm

Is it not boring just getting one or two at a time though ? :lol:
Luc , do you want me to ask Lari if you can have permission to tap into your off shorebank account Image

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:52 pm

That's true. I used to buy diecast by the boatload, now that I'm back to sensible numbers I consider every model more thoroughly and as a result I enjoy everything I buy a lot more. Everything I got recently is treasured and displayed.

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Galaxy Gaz wrote:Is it not boring just getting one or two at a time though ? :lol:
Luc , do you want me to ask Lari if you can have permission to tap into your off shorebank account Image
Image The Garage