HELP! Is this repairable?

For special skills and tip to make collecting better
DeadCanDanceR

HELP! Is this repairable?

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:34 am

Hello guys! I've recently bought this model. When it arrived, I noticed this glue damage in its headlight lens:

Do you guys think it's repairable? If so, what would you do and use to repair it?

...or, I'd better leave it alone? :?
-Julio-

scalainj
Site Admin

Re: HELP! Is this repairable?

Postby scalainj » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:10 am

That's superglue blooming. You can see it on the leading edge of the bonnet. You may well be able to clear it off with a superglue remover
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:26 am

scalainj wrote:That's superglue blooming. You can see it on the leading edge of the bonnet. You may well be able to clear it off with a superglue remover

Thanks for your answer, Andy. ;)

Do you know what kind of chemicals are used to make that superglue remover? I've never heard of it before, and I'm not sure if something like that is available in Mexico.

How would you apply it? Wouldn't it hurt the paint? Would you pry off the lens first, and then clean it? Or maybe use a syringe to fill the inside of the headlight lens until it comes off? :?
-Julio-

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:44 am

I don't know what the chemical compound is

This is what i use

https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb/rc ... 00388.html

I know you can apply it to paint and the clear lenses to remove the fogging. I usually apply with one end of a cotton bud, give it a few seconds and then wipe it off with the other end of the bud. Keep doing it until it's gone so may take several attempts.

In that case i'd take the lens off
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:10 am

scalainj wrote:I don't know what the chemical compound is

This is what i use

https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb/rc ... 00388.html

I know you can apply it to paint and the clear lenses to remove the fogging. I usually apply with one end of a cotton bud, give it a few seconds and then wipe it off with the other end of the bud. Keep doing it until it's gone so may take several attempts.

In that case i'd take the lens off

Thanks again for your help, Andy. ;)

But, what I worry most is how to take the lens off without breaking it... :(
-Julio-

Tom

Postby Tom » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:11 am

I'd say the tip of a small penknife or a jeweller's screwdriver should do the trick.

scalainj
Site Admin

Postby scalainj » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:43 am

Something small and flat and metal and work it in under the lens and slowly prise it off. Work around the edge but you will find after separating it away it will suddenly come away completely
Andy

Johnny_Bravo

Postby Johnny_Bravo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:44 am

or you can polish it with very very fine abrasive paper and then apply gloss varnish. it will become clear again. the removal is pretty easy: you take the model apart and look for the holes in which the glass is fitted in the inside. use a scalpel to remove the glue or melted plastic that holds it in there and push it with a needle. careful where you push it because the monster within the carpet is still alive...he ate a lot of my tiny parts..... ;)

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:22 pm

Thank you all for the kind advice! I'll let you know what happens! :)
-Julio-

ghosthunter

Postby ghosthunter » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:46 pm

My own approach would be a bit more drastic, only because I have the skills to carry it out. I would break the lenses out of the model and make new ones using the old as a template. This would be done to both sides so the finished lenses look the same and I would polish away the blooming on the edge of the bonnet.

A slightly tinted Blue piece of scrap sprue would be used to make the new locating pins on the back of the lenses fixed with model kit styrene glue with some rubber glue for fixing the whole unit back into the model, or even just made to be a push fit (my preferred method, so no glue is involved).

Good luck Julio.

Ghosthunter.

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:57 pm

Thanks for your advice, mate! ;)

I couldn't even take the model apart. There's a single screw (close to the front) holding the chassis to the body, but I just couldn't find how is it fixed to the back. So I quit trying to fix it! I have very little patience in these matters... :?

I guess that it will always be displayed with the bad lens facing the back of the cabinet... :mrgreen:
-Julio-

Jager

Postby Jager » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:57 am

That's a pity Julio.

Maybe you should try some of Jamie's weathering techniques. If you covered the car in dust and mud, you could cover up the headlights and no one would notice.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:47 am

LOL :lol:

Excellent idea! :D
-Julio-

dcast

Postby dcast » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:49 am

DeadCanDanceR wrote:Thanks for your advice, mate! ;)

I couldn't even take the model apart. There's a single screw (close to the front) holding the chassis to the body, but I just couldn't find how is it fixed to the back. So I quit trying to fix it! I have very little patience in these matters... :?

I guess that it will always be displayed with the bad lens facing the back of the cabinet... :mrgreen:

Maybe there's a hidden screw under a muffler or some other "bump" like a spare wheelwell under the trunk?

DeadCanDanceR

Postby DeadCanDanceR » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:53 am

dcast wrote:
DeadCanDanceR wrote:Thanks for your advice, mate! ;)

Maybe there's a hidden screw under a muffler or some other "bump" like a spare wheelwell under the trunk?

I never thought of it. And, I think that there's a muffler... :?

Thanks! ;)
-Julio-

Return to “Diecast Tips and Techniques”