Mazda 323 BD by Triple9

dcast

Mazda 323 BD by Triple9

Post by dcast » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:15 am

Triple9 and Whitebox released the '82 Mazda 323 BD 5-door Hatchback in red and met. blue but detailing was a bit of mix and match between the pre- and post-facelift 323. Decided to try making them more accurate.
As the majority of the details in these models indicate they're from post-facelift (1983-85), decided to clear the corner lamps as the orange turn signals were here only in pre-facelift (1981-82) 323's. Also changed the interior from black to brown which came with the met. blue model. Painted also the interior A, B and C-pillars and there's another difference between pre- and post facelift 323's. In original 323 the A-pillar plastic trim is always white but post-facelift it's the same colour as other interior so painted it with Humbrol's light brown colour. Painted also the rest of the interior using the same Humbrol paint because there were darker and lighter shades in the original interior, steering wheel was black, etc.
It still needs some black and silver detailing but here's how the red 323 stands right now. Haven't done anything to the met. blue one yet, except changed the interior.

Not sure when I'll have time to continue, had to clear the desk where I was detailing it because of limited space.

Tom

Re: Mazda 323 BD by Triple9

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Nice work!

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:40 am

Agreed, nice work Dcast. With respect to the turning indicators, I think in some markets the orange indicators were mandatory. I don't ever recall seeing clear front indicators in Australia during this period. Likewise, you couldn't have red rear indicators.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

dcast

Post by dcast » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:52 am

Tom wrote:Nice work!
Jager wrote:Agreed, nice work Dcast. With respect to the turning indicators, I think in some markets the orange indicators were mandatory. I don't ever recall seeing clear front indicators in Australia during this period. Likewise, you couldn't have red rear indicators.
Thank you :) Looks like USA models (Mazda GLC) had also orange corner lamps and different headlights & bumpers. Here the facelifted model had turn signals in the bumper + the repeaters right next to the corner lamps and the clear corner lamps were parking lights.
Original 323 like my first car was, didn't have turn signals in the bumper but in the corner lights. There was also a narrow clear stripe between headlights and the corner turn signal lights, that narrow light was the parking light in the pre-facelift 323. I remember from the brochure there was at least 50 changes between pre- and post-facelift models.

grinbergs

Post by grinbergs » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:23 am

Nice result, and also you should have cred for having the knowledge about the changes of the real cars as well having the skills to modify the model. Looking forward to seeing the blue one as well when the time is ready. :)

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:32 am

In the US it would have been orange indicators.
Fun making your models better, isn't it?
Jeff
ImageImage