Another Le Mans pits diorama

Tom

Re: Another Le Mans pits diorama

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Fantastic results, I could look at those for hours! A little weathering here and there would add the final touch, but it's great as is.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:56 pm

That is a magnificent job Paul. I thought you had been a bit quiet on the Forum lately but now where a very large amount of your time has gone. I'm disappointed I can't just pop over to Rafe Retro for a look! Have a great show and enjoy the attention this display will surely attract.
Martin

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:18 pm

That's a marvelous work, congratulations! I hope it gets the attention it deserves.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:38 am

Let me also add my congratulations Paul. That's a great piece of work that you can be proud of for many years to come.

Now you just have decide how much you'd be willing to let it go for if some wealthy collector gets his cheque book out at Race Retro.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:53 am

That is superb Paul. Great work
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:11 am

Tom wrote:Fantastic results, I could look at those for hours! A little weathering here and there would add the final touch, but it's great as is.
I also too find myself starring at other people's diorama displays longer than I possibly should. They are some what like famous pieces of art work, there is always something else you see when you go back and have another look! My next task is experimenting with the topic of weathering, perhaps next winter's subject! Thanks for your comments Tom
Alfaholic wrote:That is a magnificent job Paul. I thought you had been a bit quiet on the Forum lately but now where a very large amount of your time has gone. I'm disappointed I can't just pop over to Rafe Retro for a look! Have a great show and enjoy the attention this display will surely attract.
Thanks Martin. I realised I was up against it on return from hols in the New Year, plus skiing and then Retromobile, so yes I have been shut away doing my best to complete. I managed to make some new model purchases whilst in France so once I get RR2017 out of the way, I can focus a little more of my time on the forum.
Serafa wrote:That's a marvelous work, congratulations! I hope it gets the attention it deserves.
Many thanks. This is quite different from what I normally display so yes it will be interesting to hear what attention it creates.
Jager wrote:Let me also add my congratulations Paul. That's a great piece of work that you can be proud of for many years to come.

Now you just have decide how much you'd be willing to let it go for if some wealthy collector gets his cheque book out at Race Retro.
Cheers Ian. Being a member of this forum has certainly helped me. What with your reference pictures and other tips of information and peoples comments/ideas, they have all assisted. Ref your other point; Are there such people out there? I think that will be wish full thinking on my part! Will report back should I get any feed back ;)
scalainj wrote:That is superb Paul. Great work
Nice of you to say so Andy. At times it has been a little stressful not being entirely sure I would get it finished in time. Ideally I would of liked to have added a few more figures.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

IFHP

Post by IFHP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:33 am

Fantastic Paul. A real pleasure to view.
Collector of 1:43 Scale Fords

ImageHighway Scene by Michael, on Flickr

Zeus

Post by Zeus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Great to see it, outstanding work gone into it. Good to catch up with you aswell 8-)

I'm not addicted to models, an addict admits their problems & I don't have a problem.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:07 am

Late to the party as usual but WOW. You are a master.
Jeff
ImageImage

GVF

Post by GVF » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:27 pm

Paul, it was good to speak to you at Race Retro and in many respects the photos don't do justice to the dioramas on display.
My own kits arrived not long after and I hope to make a start on some of them soon. You were right when you said that if does stop making the kits it shouldn't be too difficult to make the buildings as they are relatively straightforward.
What really make the kits are the fire extinguishers, fuel rigs and other ancillaries and of course the pit boards and advertising hoardings are invaluable. It would be a pity if they were no longer available.
I look forward to seeing the pit complexes as you develop them further.

Gordon

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:44 pm

GVF wrote:Paul, it was good to speak to you at Race Retro and in many respects the photos don't do justice to the dioramas on display.
My own kits arrived not long after and I hope to make a start on some of them soon. You were right when you said that if does stop making the kits it shouldn't be too difficult to make the buildings as they are relatively straightforward.
What really make the kits are the fire extinguishers, fuel rigs and other ancillaries and of course the pit boards and advertising hoardings are invaluable. It would be a pity if they were no longer available.
I look forward to seeing the pit complexes as you develop them further.

Gordon
Hi Gordon, this is a nice surprise to see you here. I was reliably informed that your pit kits were on the way to you. I truly hope you get as much enjoyment as I did in building them. I think with any diorama, the devil is in the detail and without all the little accessories, they can be lacking. The next element for me to master is the weathering but I'm going to leave that for next winter, too many other things in life to occupy me in the summer.

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:10 pm

LE MANS 1957 – Members of the Ecurie Ecosse Team

As a closing note to this thread I came across the following during the summer months.

Personally, I’m fascinated with “behind the scene” stories associated with motorsport. I find them usually totally absorbing but quite often hard to come by. So, when I do discover one I’m all ears and want to know more and rather fittingly have found one I can associate with the diorama I have built.

To accompany this build I was pleasantly surprised to have recently found a fascinating article written by Denis Jenkinson in a copy of November Motorsport, of the same year. This was not another piece informing the reader of how the race was won but one of the mechanics and the many individuals within the team; the unsung heroes.

The article focuses on the 1st and 2nd placed Jaguars of David Murray’s Scottish Ecurie Ecosse Team. Formed out of Merchiston Motors in Edinburgh, which Murray created in 1951, over the years he had gathered together a loyal and hard-working little group of people. His main man was W.E (Wilkie) Wilkinson who attended to the tuning and maintenance of the Ecurie Ecosse D-Types. Wilkie was assisted by three mechanics, Stan Sproat, Ron Gaudion and Pat Meeham. Except for Pat who had other duties to perform, Wilkie, Stan and Ron where the only three who maintained Jaguars #3 and #15 throughout the 24 hours of the race. Wilkie apparently stayed in the pits throughout the duration of the race attending to re-fuelling whilst Stan and Ron took turns to grab 15 minutes sleep or snatch a quick meal when they could. Otherwise they were checking tyres, oil and water levels and making any necessary repairs. Okay, today's prototype sportscars are much more technical by comparison and certainly require more fuss and attention but just imagine having to look after 2 thoroughbred sportscars for 24 hours and you are 1 of a 3-man team. Not much sleep before, during or after the race I suspect!

Also in the team was Sandy Arthur whose responsibility was looking after the team’s transporters. These consisted of two converted Leyland single decker buses. Apparently dating back to 1929 where one was used on a local Glasgow bus service and the other was on a long-distance coach run. As I understand it this was before the famous Commer Ecurie Ecosse dark blue transporters.

Other members of the team included Murray’s wife Jenny and her friend Kay Bryant who both kept the lap charts in order by working in shifts throughout the 24 hours. Time keeping duties were shared between Bob Gibson-Jarvie and Hugh Langrishe. In those days team personnel were also needed on the far side of the circuit just after the Muslanne bend at the signalling pits, connected to the main pits by telephone. Both Pat Meeham and Sandy Arthur manned the signalling boards during the race relaying information to the drivers as they sped past on every lap.

Using the internet I have managed to find a couple of photographs to identify these team members so they are not just simply names written in passing text.The B&W photograph below is outside the garages of Ecurie Ecosse in the Mews in Edinburgh with Stan Sproat on the left, Ron Gaudion in the centre and Sandy Arthur on the right, whilst David Murray looks on.

Not forgetting Wilkie Wilkinson who can be seen below in the other B&W photograph with David Murray.

Reading Mr Jenkinson’s lengthy Motorsport article has had the benefit of adding a more personalized interest to my diorama. The figures in my diorama are now known by their actual names and are not just a nameless character, these were actual hard working and dedicated team individuals.
For those wishing to read the full DJ article you will find it in Motorsport Nov 1957 “Individual Achievements”, well worth a read.

So in closing and with a little artistic licence I have produced this colour photograph. We have Wilkie ready to refuel the winning Jaguar, with perhaps Stan overlooking proceedings at the side of the car whilst Ron is moving a spare wheel back to the pit wall. The gentleman in the Great Coat standing on the pit counter is of course David Murray.

THE END

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:47 pm

VERY cool. Perhaps my favourite ever LM team. Thanks for the background info and historic pics, will re-read.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:22 pm

Ice cool Image
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Fascinating story Paul - thanks for sharing.

You just need someone to model the transporters now to complete the picture!
Martin

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 am

Great story Paul. Like you I love these "stories behind the stories". The Ecurie Ecosse transporter is crying out to be modeled by someone.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:10 am

Excellent postscript which adds real life to the diorama. Ron Gaudion and Sir Norman Dewis were both at the Concours of Elegance Hampton Court Palace and Goodwood Revival. When I was 'but a lad' in 1964 I had relatives living just south of Edinburgh. I was there on holiday and took myself off to a car show at Murrayfield Showground near Edinburgh and saw the Ecurie Ecosse Transporter on display.

I wasn't so tuned into the motorsport side of things at that time. Seeing the newly released BMC Austin Princess 4-Litre RR engined saloon which I'd seen in Autocar magazine and a rather lurid customised Mini were of most interest that day... Somewhere I have an old colour photo in which the Ecurie Ecosse transporter is visible in the distance.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:17 am

What an interesting story! Paul, I do not know what you do as a profession but I think you have found you calling. You really brought this tale to life.
Jeff
ImageImage

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:37 am

Fantastic stuff! All of us like the cars, some of us pay attention to the support vehicles, but it is the first time I see someone giving attention to the mechanics!

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:25 am

I thought I'd add Paul that having some Scottish ancestry, I've been quite intrigued by the history of Ecurie Ecosse and in particular their garages in Merchiston Mews, Edinburgh.

One of the things I've thought about is to build a diorama of the Mews for my Ecurie Ecosse transporter. What might help with that even though I'm on the other side of the world is the fact the Mews still exist and you can find them on Google street view :

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/9+ ... -3.2166875

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:57 am

I just found this thread, and checked all details from the beginning. Fascinating investigation and handcarft job, it is great that you put the maximum level of real life details to the diorama.

Great read of the final article about the team, too!
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:58 am

Tom wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:47 pm
VERY cool. Perhaps my favourite ever LM team. Thanks for the background info and historic pics, will re-read.
Hi Tom, many thanks. In terms of colour I don't think you can beat this team no matter what car they where or are now running. Plus of course that famous transporter!
LUW wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:22 pm
Ice cool Image
Cheers Luc
Alfaholic wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:12 pm
Fascinating story Paul - thanks for sharing.

You just need someone to model the transporters now to complete the picture!
Many thanks Martin. Yes that thought did cross my mind when I discovered the pictures. I may well give Spark a nudge!
Jager wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 am
Great story Paul. Like you I love these "stories behind the stories". The Ecurie Ecosse transporter is crying out to be modeled by someone.
Thanks Ian. Very much so. I have since found another photo of the other transporter which was slightly different. As I said to Martin need to nudge Spark and see if they would take them both on.
A diorama of the Mews is a great idea.................we wait to see the results :D
GBOAC002 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:10 am
Excellent postscript which adds real life to the diorama. Ron Gaudion and Sir Norman Dewis were both at the Concours of Elegance Hampton Court Palace and Goodwood Revival. When I was 'but a lad' in 1964 I had relatives living just south of Edinburgh. I was there on holiday and took myself off to a car show at Murrayfield Showground near Edinburgh and saw the Ecurie Ecosse Transporter on display.

I wasn't so tuned into the motorsport side of things at that time. Seeing the newly released BMC Austin Princess 4-Litre RR engined saloon which I'd seen in Autocar magazine and a rather lurid customised Mini were of most interest that day... Somewhere I have an old colour photo in which the Ecurie Ecosse transporter is visible in the distance.
Many thanks Ian, appreciated. Good to have the memories of that holiday in 64. You must find that old colour photo :)
JSB33 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:17 am
What an interesting story! Paul, I do not know what you do as a profession but I think you have found you calling. You really brought this tale to life.
Really appreciate your comments Jeff. I tend to deal with numbers rather than words during my working week so researching and compiling these little stories is quite therapeutic. I also write for our small model club here in the south of England so I get a chance to share my articles with you guys as well.
Serafa wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:37 am
Fantastic stuff! All of us like the cars, some of us pay attention to the support vehicles, but it is the first time I see someone giving attention to the mechanics!

Bruno, having spoken to a few old mechanics when I've been displaying models I know there are lots of good stories out there. Trouble is we need to get them recorded in books or similar articles otherwise they will be lost for ever.
Paulius43 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:57 am
I just found this thread, and checked all details from the beginning. Fascinating investigation and handcarft job, it is great that you put the maximum level of real life details to the diorama.

Great read of the final article about the team, too!

Thanks Paulius. It has taken sometime but have enjoyed the journey and the help from fourm members along the way. I have it on constant display at home so see it every day in my model room. However it will have to make way for a new display shortly as we are nearing the end of the 60th Anniversary.