Mercedes 540K Spezial Roadster by Western Models

Serafa

Re: Mercedes 540K Spezial Roadster by Western Models

Post by Serafa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Stupendous! Such a brilliant work deserves to be celebrated by opening a good bottle of wine! :D

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Great to see this come together. I've favoured the silver car since the early stages of the build, so glad to see this one was the first to be finished.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:43 am

Tom wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:15 pm
Wow. Stunning.
Thanks! Yes, it's always a kind of "wow" when completing a project :) This time it's not yet completed, as the top for the green one isn't ready, but the remaining works are a nothing compared to everything I've done by now... :) I find it still amazing what you can make out of an old - and quite rough - model! And in this minute I'm thinking of the point that four years ago I had no idea that a maker like Western Models existed at all :oops: ! I really thought that there were only Matchbox, Solido and Rio and nothing else :lol: , as these were the toy cars I'd grown up with!
Serafa wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:50 pm
Stupendous! Such a brilliant work deserves to be celebrated by opening a good bottle of wine! :D
Thank you! Well, good idea the thing with the wine, while building a model I usually prefer tons of psychotropics :mrgreen:
Jager wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:15 pm
Great to see this come together. I've favoured the silver car since the early stages of the build, so glad to see this one was the first to be finished.
You're welcome ;) . The silver one is a beauty, isn't she? In this painting scheme it's for me one of the vey few German cars which could compete with the great French ones at a mediterranean Concours d'Élégance...

Wanna have a sneak preview? Here we go...

The next few days I'll complete the roof, make the finishing & retouching and by the end of the week the great show will end this project. Stay tuned! :P

LUW

Post by LUW » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 pm

Though the silver is defintively nice, but the novelety of the color of the green one puts it in a different ball park.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Both look utterly amazing. A result you can be very proud of indeed.

klubman01

Post by klubman01 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

Outstanding workmanship!

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:01 pm

For me, this is an art work! Congratulations!
IMHO, the silver looks better because the dark red makes a contrast with the light silver.

gilma

Post by gilma » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:47 am

Wonderful result, and double the pleasure for double the models... 8-) All the little details do make them stand out :)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:08 am

LUW wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 pm
Though the silver is defintively nice, but the novelety of the color of the green one puts it in a different ball park.
I think I wrote this already before, I found it interesting to make the couple up to vintage brochure graphics of the 1930s, where exactly these two painting schemes were shown. That's also the reason why the green one got the closed roof (detachable, of course) and additional front and rear lights, as this can be seen on the advertising, as well. When browsing through vintage brochures, it's amazing to learn how colourful the cars were interpreted by the manufacturers themselves, compaired with the paintings of today. So - perhaps - the "Pebble Beach" look isn't that artificial as it seems... :)
Tom wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:53 pm
Both look utterly amazing. A result you can be very proud of indeed.
Thank you! Yes, I am proud of them - at least a little bit. It feels somehow strange, to dive into the childhood with this hobby on one hand, on the other hand making things I've never thought I'd be able to... :o You see, but I think you'll know yourself, building model cars is for a boy obviously similar to having babies for girls... :D Long-term I guess it costs similar sums, too...
klubman01 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am
Outstanding workmanship!
A late welcome to you! And thank you, nice that you've already found my thread :P
Serafa wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:01 pm
For me, this is an art work! Congratulations! IMHO, the silver looks better because the dark red makes a contrast with the light silver.
Thanks a lot! It seems that it would be best to make all my models in two different painting schemes so that the audience has the choice ;)
gilma wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:47 am
Wonderful result, and double the pleasure for double the models... 8-) All the little details do make them stand out :)
Thank you very much! I haven't count, but there must be hundreds of photo-etched parts for these two...! I've browsed through all my other model cars, but I think there's no other with such an amount of details! It shows how elaborate and outstanding the original car was in the 1930s. No wonder that this was the pinnacle of German dreamcars before WWII...

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:19 am

And now it's time to show some photos of the finished cars. I hope that you'll enjoy them:

Image(Rear window still missing, I decided too late to make a p/e frame, so it will be made next time...)

And that's not all :P , if you're interested, have a look under "Dioramas / Un chateau sur la Loire" the next days, there will be some nice shots, too...

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Absolutely stunning! And the green one with the top on... Art in 1:43 Image
Bravo!
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:
Image The Garage
You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Epic.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Brilliant but no more than we have come to expect!

klubman01

Post by klubman01 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:25 am

Both models are exceptionally good but my preference is for the silver finish.
I can offer no higher praise than to compare you to Stephen Barnett.

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:27 am

Tom wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm
Epic.
x2!
Impressive..
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:07 pm

LUW wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:09 pm
Absolutely stunning! And the green one with the top on... Art in 1:43 ImageBravo!
Thank you, it's always nice to hear that one has done the right thing :D !
Tom wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:40 pm
Epic.
Paulius43 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:27 am
x2!Impressive..
Thanks a lot! Epic car, epic work :) Feels like to have climbed the Mount Everest...
reeft1 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:57 pm
Brilliant but no more than we have come to expect!
Thanks a lot! I really hope to maintain that standard for future projects ;)
klubman01 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:25 am
Both models are exceptionally good but my preference is for the silver finish.
I can offer no higher praise than to compare you to Stephen Barnett.
Thank you so much! To be honest, I haven't known Stephen Barnett so far... :oops: But when I visited his website, I felt small and ugly... he really plays in another league, I guess (opening doors, detailed engines... :o ) Let's see how far I'll come with this... :)

And - last but not least - the two roadsters in their new home:

And if you want to, tune in the next days, the next project is already on my workbench :P

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Fantastic collection. Don't ever try to calculate the number of hours invested in those gems. :)

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Fantastic collection Jean. The Mercedes is not as big as I imagined when seen alongside some of the other models.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:48 pm
Fantastic collection. Don't ever try to calculate the number of hours invested in those gems. :)
Too late: 4,5 years x 365 days x 12 hours.... :D
Jager wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:07 pm
Fantastic collection Jean. The Mercedes is not as big as I imagined when seen alongside some of the other models.
That's what I noticed, too... Indeed the wheelbase resp. the scale is absolutely correct, but when compared with other Mercedes Roadsters made by TinWizard, the WM look much "leaner", especially the radiator looks tiny compared with those of the other models. So it seems that independently of the scale, the master modeller does a lot of interpretation by making a model wider or narrower, higher or lower, the details bigger or smaller, even it is "1/43"...

gilma

Post by gilma » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:51 am

Superb models and wonderful photos, and the tan roof goes great with the green (What is it made of?). Wonderful to see the two Merks with the rest of the collection, and they fit great in that beautiful stream lines row.... 8-)