Voisin C27 Aérosport double feature: Ixo & Épokit

Jean B.

Re: Voisin C27 Aérosport double feature: Ixo & Épokit

Post by Jean B. » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:15 pm
That roof! :shock:
That roof! :D I always have a weakness for sun-roofs, and as the weather is fantastic at the moment, I'd like to have a car with open roof to go for a ride... :P
gilma wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:38 am
Very interesting model shape.Beautiful work Jean and a great progress 8-)
Thank you! Let's see how it turns out after first coating with primer...

The Épokit also got the p/e louvres, I think they look somewhat finer:

The Ixo headlights are to be milled out (right):

Holes for all the decoration and trim have to be drilled:

The tire master casted in silicone:

Transparent silicone allows single-part moulds:

Ready for priming:

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Primer airbrushed:

Making the tires: clear resin tinted with black resin colour, using a disposable syringe (buying some hundreds of these a year, the pharmacy regularly sends social workers to my home... :mrgreen: ):

This way the risk of air bubbles is minimized:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:46 pm

I love to see those finely tuned processes, honed to perfection over lots of builds. Very impressive!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed May 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:46 pm
I love to see those finely tuned processes, honed to perfection over lots of builds. Very impressive!
Very kind :oops: When I browsed through the www yesterday, I found lots of "tuned" and "re-built" 1/43 white metals, and though there were massive conversions and very creative ideas, they often lack the proper finish :( ! That's really a pity, because the model-builders obviously invest lots of time and efforts, but painting a car without honing, sanding and priming the surfaces (for example) is useless, I guess... So I try to achieve an acceptable result, and this time I primed three times with two times sanding and finishing in-between. The results are quite satisfying, I hope:

So I will leave it this way and slowly prepare the colour paint!

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 02, 2018 12:52 pm

Looks really smooth, paint finish is always tricky to get right on white metal indeed. I never got as smooth a finish as you do, then again I used aerosols instead of an airbrush so that might account for something,

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed May 02, 2018 9:38 pm

Impressive. I don't think the paint on my walls at home are that good.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:31 am

Very tidy prep work.

LUW

Post by LUW » Thu May 03, 2018 6:49 am

You inject the dye after you casted the part?
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:52 pm
Looks really smooth, paint finish is always tricky to get right on white metal indeed. I never got as smooth a finish as you do, then again I used aerosols instead of an airbrush so that might account for something,
I often work with aerosols, even if more seldom in the last time. I try to switch entirely to airbrush, but indeed aerosols are very easy to use. To get the paint really smooth, you have to sand a lot, I always start with 2500, going up to 12000, mostly with one further coating in-between. These two Voisins I plan to only airbrush, including primer, colour and clear gloss - let's see how it turns out :)
Jager wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:38 pm
Impressive. I don't think the paint on my walls at home are that good.
Funny! Years ago I smoothened all walls in home by hand with plaster and painted them matte - obviously a kind of fetish :lol:
reeft1 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:31 am
Very tidy prep work.
Thanks! You know, every step only gets as good as the previous was made, so it's a lesson in patience... ;)
LUW wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:49 am
You inject the dye after you casted the part?
No, what you see is the transparent silicone mould with only the relief of the tire inside. The formerly clear resin is dyed with a special black resin colour and then injected into the empty mould. The result is the following:

Actually I wanted to airbrush the first coating of colour today, but now I have to work some things around the house urgently, so I guess it will take one or two days until I can proceed... :( Stay tuned!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat May 05, 2018 1:27 pm

The bodies of the two Voisins appear "light" on the vintage photo, but I don't want to have them painted white, instead I've chosen a very light gray:

Tomorrow a second layer will be airbrushed.

Four tires are ready now:

The lighter/gray ones are made of another type of resin, this time polyurethane instead of epoxy. Polyurethane is much cheaper, easier to handle and sets much faster (only 8 - 10 hours instead of 2 - 3 days). The only disadvantage is the colour: it's beige-opaque so it won't work for headlights or white-wall tires...

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon May 07, 2018 11:12 am

After a second layer of light-gray, the masking was made with the help of BMF and Maskol (latex):

Then the contrasting colours for the fenders are airbrushed, a rather decent blue for the Épokit...:

...and a less decent magenta for the Altaya :P :

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon May 07, 2018 11:19 am

I can't wait to see the finished paintwork. Interesting colour choices, I wonder how they'll work out.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu May 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:19 am
I can't wait to see the finished paintwork. Interesting colour choices, I wonder how they'll work out.
Interesting? Very kind ;) I guess it's absolutely crazy, but I tried lots of combinations for this car, shades of red, green, blue, gray and so on, and I found them all rather dull for this car, so magenta simply was the only colour which was left... I always think of the watercolour sketches and also the descriptions of that time, where you always find hints that the luxury cars of that time often had very bright and (today) unusual colours, especially for the lots of concours. And especially the Voisin cars seem to have had striking or gaudy colour schemes...

The masking was removed:

A first coating with clear lacqer was airbrushed, for the first time I've used Humbrol Gloss Cote:

It's absolutely glass clear, without any yellow hue. Of course it has to be sanded and airbrushed again, like any other glossy paint...

The seats and door panels are to be covered with the famous Art-Déco fabric used on many Voisins:

The main parts for the interior are ready now:

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu May 10, 2018 12:54 pm

It was quite hard to see the end result without the clearcoat, getting better now. Interestingly, most Voisins I've seen so far were black.

The interior looks fantastic.

David MG

Post by David MG » Thu May 10, 2018 1:31 pm

What an outstanding job on the interior fabric, spot on. :ugeek:
Cheers,
David

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri May 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:54 pm
It was quite hard to see the end result without the clearcoat, getting better now. Interestingly, most Voisins I've seen so far were black. The interior looks fantastic.
How said Kaa in the Jungle Book: Trust meee... :shock: And here are some examples for colourful cars of the 1920s and 30s:

The famous "Petit Duc" with its ornamental painting:

One of the fancy cars designed by Sonia Delaunay:

The Voisin Aérodyne at its presentation, reportedly painted in bright red and white:

Another Aérodyne at a concours, and the accompanying ladies surely did not wear "black & white", but flamboyant wardrobe:

This one - certainly - has no original paint, but nevertheless it's stunning:

David MG wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:31 pm
What an outstanding job on the interior fabric, spot on. :ugeek:
Thank you! It was quite a work to design the fabric according to the original. It took several attempts until I "got it" how the dizzy design had been constructed :o But now I'm able to reproduce it in any colour or size I want - if you are in need of, let me know ;)

Today I proceeded with clear painting. I have to admit, I was not satisfied with the newly used "Gloss Cote" by Humbrol. The finish is quite dull, it needs 24 hours for drying, and still it feels a little bit sticky... :( So I've switched back to my well-experienced rattle can from the house & garden market, a sacrilege for the skilled model builder, but I still don't know a clear lacquer which is so easy to use, so brilliant and so quick so hard... :) Here are the results, photographed under fading daylight without flashlight (and of course tomorrow the sanding & polishing will start):

Designing the p/e parts also goes ahead, for example the dashboard with gauges:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri May 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Nice glossy finish! I'm not picking a favourite until they're assembled...

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Looking forward to seeing the models come together with the interiors. The fabric is hideous, but will really make the models "pop" :) .

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon May 14, 2018 12:43 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 1:30 pm
Nice glossy finish! I'm not picking a favourite until they're assembled...
I guess you already know my favourite... ;) However, they will team up great for the final foto shooting - probably the last time they can be seen together...
Jager wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:29 pm
Looking forward to seeing the models come together with the interiors. The fabric is hideous, but will really make the models "pop" :) .
Hideous :o :o :o :?: In my opinion a fantastic example for cubistic fabric design of the intermediate war era! I'd love to have this design as a wallpaper or original fabric for a sofa or an armchair. But believe me, I will punish you again and again as I still have three further Voisins in my collection which all will get this interior :mrgreen:

What's happened the last days? The bodies were polished in eight steps by hand. This still does not bring out the "glass" finish of Ilario & Co makes, but a rather realistic "auto paint" finish, a glossy, but thin coating with just a bit of haze:

Looks a little weird, but indeed the Voisins of that series had quite thick black rubber sealings around the door:

The undersides were painted black and slightly metallized:

The Épokit has got the fabric covered seats in gray:

...and the complete interior was covered, too. Don't ask about the labour which was necessary to get the decal paper in all corners and have it cut out properly around the windows and pillars :roll: :

The same for the Ixo:

The roof seems to be the first part which is completely ready :) :

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon May 14, 2018 1:03 pm

VERY impressive! Love the trim pattern, paintwork quality is excellent.
Is there a reason for the different shapes of the rear windows?

klubman01

Post by klubman01 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:27 pm

Looking really good. (Not entirely in love with the interiors but, that's what they had.) Well done for reproducing it so convincingly.
Love the appropriate gloss finish - just right. Paint technology of the time did not allow the high gloss finish used on modern cars.
Restored classic cars with modern gloss paint is one of my pet peeves. :evil:

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon May 14, 2018 7:29 pm

That's quite a labour of love Jean. At least you know you can always get a job as a wallpaper installer if you lose your day job.

gilma

Post by gilma » Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Beautiful paint job for both models. Super job on the fabrics interior 8-)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:03 pm
VERY impressive! Love the trim pattern, paintwork quality is excellent.
Is there a reason for the different shapes of the rear windows?
Thanks a lot :P ! Regarding the rear window I had the following idea: The larger the window pane is, the less you see the cylindric shaped roof panel, furthermore the plain pane ( :lol: ) wouldn't fit to the curved metal sheet at the sides. So I decided to make it rather small. The window at the Aérodyne is larger, but the curvature of the roof is more flat, so it's another geometry. (Hope you understand what I mean, it's a torture for me explaining all this in English :roll: )
klubman01 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:27 pm
Looking really good. (Not entirely in love with the interiors but, that's what they had.) Well done for reproducing it so convincingly. Love the appropriate gloss finish - just right. Paint technology of the time did not allow the high gloss finish used on modern cars. Restored classic cars with modern gloss paint is one of my pet peeves. :evil:
Nice to hear, thank you! In a book about airbrush painting they call it "scale effect" which means that the surface of an original painting should be "minimized", too, as well as the colours should be a little "lighter & more gray" as you usually stand some metres in distance and the humidity of the air already changes the paint colour in your view. So the surface of model car paint should be less glossy and a little bit lighter than that of the original car. However, not easy to achieve, but I always try my best... :)
Jager wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:29 pm
That's quite a labour of love Jean. At least you know you can always get a job as a wallpaper installer if you lose your day job.
I guess model building meanwhile is my job :D But it's funny: indeed interior design is one of my hobbies - beside model cars... :P

I was not lazy the last days, but I was so busy that I found no time posting some photos... :? Here are at least some spots of the things I'm doing right now, and I hope that can show some bigger advance the next days! Some more p/e parts were made:

The wheels are assembled:

A self-made supporting board helps making the wheels (almost) "straight":

The hubcaps were highly polished:

Front axle already mounted:

Image[/url]

Steering wheel:

Last edited by Jean B. on Sat May 19, 2018 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.