Alvis 4.3 Open Tourer by J&M Classics

Jean B.

Alvis 4.3 Open Tourer by J&M Classics

Post by Jean B. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:09 pm

I've started this one already six weeks ago, but then switched to the Voisin. So I now continue with this nice classic car, although already a little bit modernistic with its pontoon fenders. I'ts a quite elaborate model, J&M did a good job making dozens of tiniest details :shock:

After disassembling the mystery was solved why the wheels weren't running :roll: :

...furthermore sitting crooked in the chassis:

A bath in hot water helps disassembling:

Getting started:

Headlights are nicely made, but the triangle is lopsided, so they're milled out:

Better:

The windshield frame doesn't fit well:

...but that's quickly fixed:

Those big slots beneath the bonnet are ugly:

...closed with solder:

The center line is grinded off and a narrow slot is cut for adding a separate "hinge" (much later...):

With the help of slightly bigger wheels the stance is fixed:

Brass tubes for the axles:

Ready, now with wheels in the correct size:

A master for the tire is made:

Tom

Re: Alvis 4.3 Open Tourer by J&M Classics

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Your usual pace and thorough mode of attack. Excellent. Will follow, as usual.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Excellent choice! I'm sure it's going to look amazing once you're done! ;)
-Julio-

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:33 pm
Your usual pace and thorough mode of attack. Excellent. Will follow, as usual.
Thanks for joining! I hope that you won't get bored always following the same steps, will you? Maybe I can show something new this time... :D
DeadCanDanceR wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:13 pm
Excellent choice! I'm sure it's going to look amazing once you're done! ;)
At least I hope so! I'm still dazzled about the lots of details the car has! For about € 100 I wonder how they can make this... :o

The first p/e film (together with the Mercedes C111 parts):

Almost perfectly etched:

And a first test how the rim looks like:

I found this photo, showing the car with my preferred disc wheels, so this one will serve as a "role model" (of course without the WWII additions):

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Etching looks great and I love your wheels.

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:32 pm

The bigger wheels and disc wheel covers give the car a much better look. Now it looks more like an Alvis and less like a Morgan copy.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

gilma

Post by gilma » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:15 pm

Very interesting model, I love the wheels 8-)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:50 pm
Etching looks great and I love your wheels.
Meanwhile etching works much better, I hope that I've left the deep valley of despair... :) I've had already started working on classic spoke wheels, and now I'm glad that I had to interrupt work for six weeks. It was only a couple of days ago that I found this one and only photo of this car with disc wheels, and I always try to create models which show a unique, but authentic livery, so it was worth leaving the kit alone for a while... :P
Jager wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:32 pm
The bigger wheels and disc wheel covers give the car a much better look. Now it looks more like an Alvis and less like a Morgan copy.
Right :D ! Actually I don't like those classic British roadsters that much, but the pontoon fenders caught my eye, and with the disc wheels the car gets an attractive modernistic touch. In fact the wheels are slightly smaller than the original ones, but the proportions are better, I hope...
gilma wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:15 pm
Very interesting model, I love the wheels 8-)
Well, the first time I make painted disc wheels. Now I have to think about an attractive colour scheme for the car... :)

Next turn of photo-etching:

Finished tire master:

The master is already dunked into silicone, so tomorrow I can start casting the wheels!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:23 pm

Two silicone moulds were made, meanwhile filled with resin, so tomorrow the first two copies of the wheels will be done:

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm

With talents like that Jean maybe you should start casting Euro coins to pay for your purchases ;) .

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Jager wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:46 pm
With talents like that Jean maybe you should start casting Euro coins to pay for your purchases ;) .
Great idea! I'll discuss that with my jailors and will let you know! :lol:

Meanwhile I've scribed two joints below the doors into the body, according to the original car:

Holes for some rivets were drilled into the bonnet:

The original mudguards are too rough and I want to make p/e ones. For that reason the gap has to be filled up...:

... and the shape including the circular ridge has to be made:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Casting quality is pretty good, not much to do for you even with your crazy high standards.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:35 pm
Casting quality is pretty good, not much to do for you even with your crazy high standards.
Indeed, it's a very nicely made model car. Unfortunately J&M resp. MarqueArt doesn't have so many cars in their portfolio suiting my collection :cry: . I wish they would make Bugatti, Hispano, Duesenberg, especially the really crazy designs. Must I really start designing model cars by my own...??? ;)

The closed hood for the Alvis looks a little clumsy... J&M also offered the model with hood-down, and of course I kindly asked if they would sell the open roof as a spare part (Brooklin offers such a service and is very kind!), but they even didn't answer my request... :x So I'll try to make an open roof by myself, this is the first attempt, as soon as the shape is perfect, I am going to cast in in white-metal:

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Yes, please start making your own models! :lol: I'd love to see that process- and from the amount of work that goes into reshaping some of those kits, making a correct base shape yourself cannot be that much more work.

The open top with its cover looks great. Now we can see all your fantastic interior mods much better.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:52 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:44 pm
The open top with its cover looks great. Now we can see all your fantastic interior mods much better.
Exactly

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:44 pm
Yes, please start making your own models! :lol: I'd love to see that process- and from the amount of work that goes into reshaping some of those kits, making a correct base shape yourself cannot be that much more work.
Jager wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:52 pm
Exactly
Ideal is always to have the closed and the open top for convertibles, but in general I think that a convertible resp. roadster should rather be open, that it's destiny, I guess... :D Concerning creating own models, I still fear I'm lacking some important abilities :? I'm not sure how to cast a complete body in white-metal without centrifuge, for example. I'm most interested in making models by galvano-forming, but by now I haven't met anyone where I could study/learn this (old) technique, which nevertheless is absolutely ideal for making high-class metal models...

Not much progress, currently I'm concentrating on the C111. However, at least the chassis is ready:

But the wheels are currently casted, so perhaps tomorrow the next step will be visible...

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Here we see the casted wheels, painted black and already equipped with reverse sides:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Your wheels are always a big part of the looks of the final result. Baseplate looks great too, no personal touch underneath this time? No new exhaust?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Tom wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:28 pm
Your wheels are always a big part of the looks of the final result. Baseplate looks great too, no personal touch underneath this time? No new exhaust?
And I'm so glad that I found a way to make wheels by my own! The ones you can buy never fit entirely... And for the baseplate: my "manufacturer's sign" will follow after finishing as it will cover the rear screw. The exhaust pipes are almost perfect, and curved ones are difficult to make, so I simply leave them alone. Today I've checked the complete model again and again, and I decided to make only very few parts by photo-etching but keep most of the original parts. I've never seen a white-metal model which consists of so very many different parts and with all those tiny parts perfectly detailed and casted :shock: ! It would be a pity to dump all those parts, even if p/e parts are even more detailed. So I'll make some parts where really necessary or where the original parts were not first class, but window frame, dashboard, steering wheel and so on will be kept and only detailed by painting.

The open hood is casted in white-metal:

I made two inserts of metal sheet in the notch of the rear bench to avoid "see-throughs" in the finished model:

The result:

Primed:

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Trying to keep the original dashboard of the model, as it is really nicely made. I painted some wood decor, and I tried to bring out the tiny relief of the gauges - not the usual standard of p/e dashboards, but I'm still confident that it will give a nice look this time:

After having sprayed a second layer of primer, the first layer of colour paint has been sprayed. And some of you can take a deep breath now, after the controversial Voisin Aérosport, this time I chose a rather decent colour scheme, based on a medium blue shade :D :

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:33 pm

The blue looks great and I love the dash!

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:08 pm

French blue on an English car.....sacre bleu :o

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:33 pm
The blue looks great and I love the dash!
This medium blue will be contrasted with a slightly darker blue for the rear part. And the dash will be finished in a few days... :)
Jager wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:08 pm
French blue on an English car.....sacre bleu :o
I've been waiting for this comment :D ! But imagine if there was no single English blue car for that reason... ;)

Today some minor works were made, not worth showing those details... Mainly the interior parts and hoods were painted in three differring light brown shades:

And the following I also want to show: As I have now to arrange my finished model cars also in a second row in my showcase, I want to lift up those "second row cars" a little, so I made some pedestals of epoxy resin:

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:55 pm

I like those pedestals, just don't knock the display or you'll have some restoration work to do...