Buick Y-Job by SMTS

Jean B.

Buick Y-Job by SMTS

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Contrasting to my latest project, the Alvis 4.3l, I now travel to the other side of the Atlantic Sea, where at the same time a completely different car had been designed, the Buick Y-Job. Called the "first concept car in automotive history", it displayed features and an overall design which was ahead its time for at least 15 years. Contrary to other one-offs this car was especially built to test the customers' taste and therefore was called "concept car". The Y-Job was sketched by GM CEO for design Harley J. Earl, who took over the car quite immediately after its presentation and who used it as his personal car for several years, long after WWII. Building this model, it is difficult to choose a certain year resp. condition of the car, as it seems that it had been modified regularly in very many details. I can indicate the following steps:

The project began in Jan 1938, the first official presentation was in Dec 1939, and obviously this must be the initial version:

"Wraparound bumpers", spats on rear wheels, dark trim on hubcaps, small door openers

Presumably less than a half year later Mr Earl captured the car and changed many details:

Narrower, "sculptured" bumpers, open rear wheels, white trim on hubcaps and bumpers, large door openers, light-tanned bench, "HJE" initials on doors, license plate showing "1939" (although the public presentation first was in Dec '39 (??).

For the next year, we can see some further changes:

Rear spats put on again, dark trim on hubcaps, license plate "1940".

In general the car must have had at least three different benches, two different sets of gauges and further changings (antenna or not; rivets on the persenning or not; dark or light interior; two different indoor panels and so on).

So there's the question which version I will follow with my model :shock: Meanwhile I'm quite sure that I am going to choose the "second" version with the open rear wheels. This seems to be the best documented version of the car, and HJE was very successful in making a "European" roadster of the original design. The open rear wheels and the the narrow bumpers give a very sporty and elegant attitude, compared to the more "heavy" or "strong" original look. Here are some photos of the model car in its original condition:

And now the work begins!

ImageThe much too thick paint is removed, quite a mess!

ImageVery crude casting...

ImageFinally a "clean" model :)

ImageThe bumpers have to get slim and elegant holders.

ImageThe car indeed had very small wheels, suggesting a much bigger body :D

ImageSome details have to be removed...

Image... and replaced by p/e parts.

DeadCanDanceR

Re: Buick Y-Job by SMTS

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Quite an interesting choice! :)
-Julio-

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:23 pm

I didn't expect that. Very nice project, will follow.

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 am

My kind of car! (concept!)
Looking forward to the development of yet another unique piece in 1/43 world.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 am

Of the three cars, I like the original the best. However, while I like the spats on the original, I'm not as much of a fan of them on the model (as it currently exists).
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:35 pm

DeadCanDanceR wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:17 pm
Quite an interesting choice! :)
Isn't it ;) ? Not really a "top luxury car" which are always my favourites, but nonetheless a "one-off" made in the 1930s, and I simply love the shape!
Tom wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:23 pm
I didn't expect that. Very nice project, will follow.
I'm glad to have some surprises, still :D Feel invited :P !
Paulius43 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 am
My kind of car! (concept!) Looking forward to the development of yet another unique piece in 1/43 world.
Well, then let's see what I'm able to make of this nice, but somewhat rough model... :)
Jager wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 am
Of the three cars, I like the original the best. However, while I like the spats on the original, I'm not as much of a fan of them on the model (as it currently exists).
It was a difficult decision for me... Normally I want to build the very first version of each car, but the model shows the "second" bumpers (which I like much better for their more sculptured shape). And also normally I love spats on the rear wheels, but in this special case the car looks very "heavy" with them. And furthermore, without spats this could be a one-of-a-kind model... ;)

Tire master is made:

And the first parts for photo-etching are designed. As you can recognize, I will try to make the thin chrome strips for the fenders by p/e, let's see if this works...

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Im not sure i could bring myself to unbuild a factoty built smts model unless this was a homemade build of an smts kit?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:20 pm

reeft1 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 pm
Im not sure i could bring myself to unbuild a factoty built smts model unless this was a homemade build of an smts kit?
I guess I understand what you mean, let me compare my doing with a surgeon: There is a patient on the operating table with any disease. Would the surgeon let him suffer with his illness because he do not want to harm his body - or would he take his surgeon knife and make a cut, for making the patient healthy again? The patient will not be the same like before, but he will feel much better ;)

Today's etching was fine. The surface of the metal sheet is full of small stains, but this is due to a bad coating with UV lacquer. I knew that and took that sheet deliberately as these parts are mainly "test parts" and not for final use:

A first impression of the wheels (measurements of the rings and details will be overdone):

First a test whether it would be possible to replace the original w/m casted parts by p/e parts:

It works, so the gaps in the fenders have to be filled up with putty. For that reason holes are drilled to give the putty a good hold:

A first "layer" of putty is filled in:

To be continued... :)

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm

This is going to be another winner. Love the etched relief inlays.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm
This is going to be another winner. Love the etched relief inlays.
The car might be a winner - I'm going to be a looser, at least loosing my nerves :roll: ! You won't believe how hard it is to fill in the fenders...! You have to smooth over the surfaces again and again, and when filing, always risking to go too deep and spoil the surrounding areas. However, as I've decided to do all that, I have to get along with it anyhow. At least the front fenders are almost ready after today's work:

ImageI have not only filled in the gaps, but also overdone the wheel cutout which was too wide originally. And furthermore the thickness of the fenders was reduced, as they were very thick due to the original inlays. That's another advantage of using p/e parts in this case :)

The basic shape of the rear fenders is also almost done, but there's still much more to do:

Generally, my idea of using p/e parts in this case seems to work:

The profile thread is glued onto the tire master:

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:15 pm

It might be a tough job but the result looks great so far.

klubman01

Post by klubman01 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 am

Looking good thus far.
What putty/filler do you use?

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:03 am

klubman01 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 am
What putty/filler do you use?
I was also wondering, isn't there a risk the putty cracks/chips when you try to cut out the rear wheel arch ?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:15 pm
It might be a tough job but the result looks great so far.
Happy to hear that! It's really difficult to do this work: Although I always use printed or etched templates, those shapes have to be made mostly by "Augenmass", that means by "viewing & shaping". And the slightest slip-up spoils everything... :roll: The following works took almost the whole day!
klubman01 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 am
Looking good thus far. What putty/filler do you use?
Jager wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:03 am
I was also wondering, isn't there a risk the putty cracks/chips when you try to cut out the rear wheel arch ?
I always use the following stuff:

It's fantastic for model-building: Mixing is easy, the texture is very soft and creamy, and after 15 minutes it is absolutely hard - like porcelain - and can be drilled, milled and sanded in an extremely fine mode. It is so hard that you can even build up thin walls which are almost as strong as metal. And it sticks tight to nearly any material, even bare metal.

First a simple template helps getting an impression how the wheel arch should look like:

After some brutal work which is definitely not suitable for children's eyes it looks like this:

To make the other side took the double time, trying to match largely the same arch:

There's at least a chance that everything will be fine:

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:05 pm

Looks like you could have saved yourself a lot of work if you'd gone for the first version of the Buick. But then, when have you ever taken the easy option :D .

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 pm

Jager wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:05 pm
Looks like you could have saved yourself a lot of work if you'd gone for the first version of the Buick. But then, when have you ever taken the easy option :D .
That's right, seems that I always need the challenge :lol: But my psychiatrist says he wouldn't mind as long as I take my pills :mrgreen:

Next turn of photo-etching: The hubcaps got slightly larger perforations, the fender trim is adjusted to the wheel arches

This will be the final design for the hubcaps:

As the car will get white-walls, only the reverse profile ring is mounted, the master now ready for making a silicone mould:

Using transparent silicone allows making a one-block mould:

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Jean B. wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:26 pm
This will be the final design for the hubcaps:

Am I correct in thinking each hubcap consists of 5 pieces of P/E ?

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 am

Love your creative work.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Jager wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:22 pm
Am I correct in thinking each hubcap consists of 5 pieces of P/E ?
Nope, it's only 4 pieces. I think FIVE pieces would be rather exaggerated... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 am
Love your creative work.
You're back again, great :P ! Thanks, well, it took some decades to finally come to THIS kind of creative work. Meanwhile it's an obsession rather than a hobby, I guess ;)

These two sails look a little bit crude, but it's an easy and effective way to prevent the ready-built model car from "see-throughs":

The interior is nicely made, but the door panels are much too simple:

...getting rid of them:

The sides smoothened with some putty and templates for new door panels cut out:

Adjusting:

And testing if another panel with the small side windows would fit inbetween:

Here's how the tire master moulded in transparent silicone looks like before opening the mould:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 pm

The body's coming along nicely. Looking forward to your interior treatment.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:18 pm

Tom wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 pm
The body's coming along nicely. Looking forward to your interior treatment.
...the same do I... :roll: Unfortunately I haven't got much time at the moment, but I hope that I can show some progress regarding the interior parts by the end of the week. Some restorations for customers want to be done and house and garden require some treatment, too... :)

At least the first two tires are ready casted, here's not the final version, but an impression how it will look like:

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:17 am

Beautiful.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 am

.....and impressive.

gilma

Post by gilma » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:33 am

A fantastic subject. Very nice work on the back wheels arches 8-)