Buick Y-Job by SMTS

Jean B.

Re: Buick Y-Job by SMTS

Post by Jean B. » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:35 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:23 pm
Those wheels look utterly amazing, I love them.
As much as I love to see the results of your labour, I'd advise you to wait for temperatures to go down before doing any more bodywork painting. From experience, high and low extremes and high humidity wreak havoc on the paint quality. I've ruined a few kits myself, so now I'm taking my own advice. In my place it's actually hotter than outside now...

Yeah, I wish that modelling would be more fashionable, instead of having a nerdy image. I would also love to have some time and money to return to the hobby I used to enjoy so much. I guess the progress in ready-made model quality at unbeatable prices and the success of Spark with their wide range and builders such as Autocult for the oddities have taken away the need for kit manufacturers to make the cars nobody else does, as there aren't that many left to make... Also, collecting in general is in decline. The younger generation thinks a collection is 'clutter' and they don't need that. Given that, I think we're lucky with the huge selection in models that we do have.
Am I right in thinking that the heydays of white metal and resin kits are also over? I have seen a lot less new casting introductions in recent years...
I have to admit, I'm living in the past... :roll: From time to time I take all the old Danhausen world model car books and imagine that they are brandnew - weird, isn't it? I think it's a pity if this genre is in decline - as you say - as I always find hundreds of fascinating cars, every time I'm browsing through coachbuild.com. There are lots of Duesenbergs, Hispanos, Bentleys and Delages to be seen and everytime I wonder "why doesn't any manufacturer make such a wonderful car as a scale model???". Let's hope that times will change again and we will see a renaissance of model building :)
Jager wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm
It seems that many of the famous model makers are today in old age and/or poor health. We seem to hear fairly frequently offamous names from the 70's and 80's passing on and there were few model makers who followed them....possibly because that period coincided with the arrival of Minichamps and Spark. If you were a model maker today, how many exotic subjects are left to be modeled that haven't been produced or announced by Spark, Neo, Matrix, Autocult etc.

Thankfully we can still follow the old skills here in Jean's posts.
Thaaanks! :P The "old skills" is what I always try to practice, in any way of life, I guess... :) Some time ago I bought a "model building" book of the late 60s, it's simply great! There are really complicated builds described with the tools and possibilities of fifty years ago - thrilling! Unfortunately there are only few pictures in the book, although they already had cameras in that time... :lol: With my storage of white-metal castings I'm busy for the rest of my life, so I'm sad if there won't be many news in that range, but I'm able to build up my own little world, though :P

You already know the game: when I'm right through with a model, I'm starting a second time because something's went completely wrong. The same for the Y-Job. The first clear lacquer was acceptable, the second was desastrous, and after emptying a bottle of scotch (or was it solvent?) I decided to strip off the Buick completely and painting it again :roll: Crazy, I know... However, this time - as far as for the first clear lacquer - everything looks really good! This time I improved the model by not using BMF for the chrome trim around the doors and the fin, but polishing the metal. It was quite a fuzzy work, but the result really convinces me:

Indeed I now follow Tom's advice and won't paint again the next days, as we are going to have so terribly high temperatures we've never had in Berlin ever before :o Meanwhile I'm making some of the interior details and will post pictures tomorrow, promised :P

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:31 pm

That looks quite nice and shiny already!

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:31 pm

Agreed, that's looking really good.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:15 am

I wouldn’t give it another coat - looks spot on as it is.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:31 pm
That looks quite nice and shiny already!
Jager wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:31 pm
Agreed, that's looking really good.
reeft1 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:15 am
I wouldn’t give it another coat - looks spot on as it is.
My experience is that a nice and shiny and authentic surface can only be achieved by thoroughly polishing the paint. When only airbrushing, the surface either shows a "spotty" surface of any degree, or the paint is much too thick and shows an unnatural shine. For polishing a certain thickness of lacquer is needed, and this thickness requires at least two layers of paint. Each layer has to be sanded, as the next layer gets as smooth as the former already is. This time I definitely need another layer, simply due to the "HJE" decals which need some protection for not being sanded away when polishing. So I took MicroMesh polishing linen "3200" and made my work:

ImageIt's a nice result and a perfect preparation for the next (and hopefully last) layer of clear paint.

The dashboard (still needing gauges and a center loudspeaker):

Completed steering wheel:

Completed door panels:

And the bench:

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Up to your usual standard. Love the very clean line between the two colours on the seat, that is hard to achieve.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:27 pm
Up to your usual standard. Love the very clean line between the two colours on the seat, that is hard to achieve.
Following my experience the only way to achieve clean lines between two colours is using Bare Metal Foil. This can be fixed and cut out with a surgeon knife, and when oversprayed with matte enamel paint, you have the sharpest line ever :P . Unfortunately BMF is quite expensive, especially for large areas for two-tone paintings on the body, but I think the result is worth it.

The summer in Berlin is hardly bearable this year... 8-) Since April we had not a single rainy day, grass and trees are brown and yellow, and the temperatures vary between 30 to 37 °C (85 to 99 °F). Even my cellar workshop is warm and humid meanwhile, many works simply cannot be done due to the heat :? ! At least some smaller things were made today:

The grille is black-washed and has some depth now:

Making a test for the rear lights, using two half-elliptic pieces of 0.2mm metal sheet, fixed at a 90° angle, and filled up with clear resin:

Making the metal parts by photo-etching and dyeing the resin red, this could work:

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:25 pm

The grill looks good already, very convincing.

We've had the same weather here. No green grass remains, trees are dropping their leaves. Today we got some rain, the first in three months if you discount one short miserable shower last month. Temperatures are finally down to more reasonable levels too.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Today was not the ideal day for constant rain in Blighty - i was at Lords, the home of cricket for the 2nd test match and didn’t see a single ball bowled :evil:

CDM

Post by CDM » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Paul

Typical after all the sun we have had it rains on the very day you wanted a nice day.

After the first test it was set up nicely.

Back TMS then...?

Chris

gilma

Post by gilma » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 am

Very nice progress Jean and beautiful results. The details are great - the side trims, grille, wheels, door panels, very nice 8-)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:25 pm
The grill looks good already, very convincing. We've had the same weather here. No green grass remains, trees are dropping their leaves. Today we got some rain, the first in three months if you discount one short miserable shower last month. Temperatures are finally down to more reasonable levels too.
Last night we indeed also had a very tiny thunderstorm - for about 20 minutes, I guess... At least today we had surprinsingly refreshing weather with sun, but only moderate 22°C, perfect opportunity to air the house and to take a deep breath :D And of course: to paint the Buick again :lol:
reeft1 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:51 pm
Today was not the ideal day for constant rain in Blighty - i was at Lords, the home of cricket for the 2nd test match and didn’t see a single ball bowled :evil:
CDM wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:30 pm
Paul Typical after all the sun we have had it rains on the very day you wanted a nice day. After the first test it was set up nicely. Back TMS then...? Chris
Cricket? I'm always fascinated when seeing some pictures in the newspaper, but in continental Europe this sport is the book with seven seals - I guess no-one would ever understand the rules :roll:
gilma wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 am
Very nice progress Jean and beautiful results. The details are great - the side trims, grille, wheels, door panels, very nice 8-)
Thank you :P Like every time I'm a little bit late, I planned to finish this project by the end of July... However, meanwhile I'm glad if it comes to an end at all... :)

The last turn of clear painting is done:

ImageTomorrow it can be polished, and everything will be fine!

The completed bumpers (give attention to the three white stripes on both sides of the number plate):

The triangle windows were glued in, and a separate frame is to be added to the outside:

Everything completed:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm

The paint looks amazing without polishing. I love it when you show those final steps and you can see it all come together.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm
The paint looks amazing without polishing. I love it when you show those final steps and you can see it all come together.
Thanks! It's always nice for me, too, to see the "light at the end of the tunnel". I think by the end of next week the Buick should be ready, cross your fingers... :)

The remaining p/e parts (the windshield will be made separately at very last):

The gauges:

And the completed dash:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:31 pm

It's a real shame that the dash will be so hard to see later, a true work of art.

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:15 am

Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:31 pm
It's a real shame that the dash will be so hard to see later, a true work of art.
Should be fairly easy to see, it's not being made with the hood up - is it?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Tom wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:31 pm
BertOne wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:15 am
Should be fairly easy to see, it's not being made with the hood up - is it?
Good news, the Buick stays open, so that you will see the complete dash :)

The polished body, started with MicroMesh 3600, then up to 12000, and finally with my new Tamiya Modelling Wax:

The chassis:

Becoming a car:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Utterly amazing result. Love the mirror finish paintwork, the interior, the wheels, the trim...

David MG

Post by David MG » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Jean, excellent result so far. I am a bit confused in that the model you have chosen says it had tan seats. What occasioned the change?
Cheers,
David

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Another awesome build, Jean. Congratulations!

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:12 am

That's come together quickly Jean. Looking forward to seeing the final result once you finish off the windscreen,taillights etc.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

klubman01

Post by klubman01 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Another outstanding project.
The detail work gets better each time, and the finish on the black paint (never an easy colour to work with) looks really good.
Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Tom wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:45 pm
Utterly amazing result. Love the mirror finish paintwork, the interior, the wheels, the trim...
Thank you :P ! I have to admit, this one's looking quite nice... I guess it's the artist's fate: sometimes everything works, sometimes it doesn't... :)
David MG wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:28 pm
Jean, excellent result so far. I am a bit confused in that the model you have chosen says it had tan seats. What occasioned the change?
My English is not so good, I thought a pale brown you would call "tan". However, the dashboard shows a pale metallic brown, and I concluded that Mr Earl could have chosen a matching colour for both the dash and the interior. The b/w photos of course only show a "medium" coloured bench, so I believe that it surely could have had such a colour :)
Serafa wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:54 pm
Another awesome build, Jean. Congratulations!
Thanks a lot! But please wait until it's finished... :P
Jager wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:12 am
That's come together quickly Jean. Looking forward to seeing the final result once you finish off the windscreen,taillights etc.
Especially the windscreen is always a very fuzzy work :roll: ! No straight angles, V-shaped, curves joining the hood - making thoses parts is like working with sunglasses in the night, you simply do not really see what you're doing and if it's working... 8-)
klubman01 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 pm
Another outstanding project. The detail work gets better each time, and the finish on the black paint (never an easy colour to work with) looks really good. Looking forward to seeing the final result.
Thank you! Then please be patient for some further days - I hope that I'll finish the Buick by Sunday.

Last days I've designed the windscreen frames, and today was photo-etching:

I decided to cast the taillights in red resin:

Assembling...:

...and ready (already preparing the bumpers):

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Those rear lights look fantastic. Good decision to cast them in resin.