Post by Tom » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:48 pm

MUCH better!

Jean B.

Re: Bugatti Stelvio + Ventoux by Western Models

Post by Jean B. » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Tom wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:48 pm
MUCH better!
Thanks :P ! The radiator mask was a little bit too small, so I enlarged it a little bit, and meanwhile I think that the complete radiator is not that bad ;) :

By the way, here's today's work, a new p/e sheet - no new parts, but enough stuff to work with for the next weeks:

And I've painted the bodies once again, the Ventoux is a little bit "more yellow" than before, but still needs one or two further coatings, I guess:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:25 pm

It's incredibly hard to get a decent coverage with yellow paint. I've used white primer in the past and got good results.

The new radiator looks fantastic.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Looks more like Kermit than a Bugatti at the moment but I’m sure you’ll get there.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:25 pm
It's incredibly hard to get a decent coverage with yellow paint. I've used white primer in the past and got good results. The new radiator looks fantastic.
Of course I thought about using a white primer, but sometimes I want to be smarter than smart and try to get over the basic rules of model building... :roll: Actually I didn't use white primer as the rest of the car will be painted black - however, I've got some news concerning the colour... :)
Jager wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:03 pm
Looks more like Kermit than a Bugatti at the moment but I’m sure you’ll get there.

First I wanted to follow Tom's advice using a light foundation for the yellow, but when I did so, I suddenly was convinced that this soft yellow looks much better than the originally chosen one:

So I think I am going to airbrush a second layer with this colour tomorrow, and then we'll have it... :P

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:21 pm

Those three colours look great to me, if the picture and my screen give an accurate representation. They fit nicely together and, what's more important, fit in with my perception of what was popular at the time. A very bright yellow might look great in itself, but this looks civilised and classy.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:21 pm
Those three colours look great to me, if the picture and my screen give an accurate representation. They fit nicely together and, what's more important, fit in with my perception of what was popular at the time. A very bright yellow might look great in itself, but this looks civilised and classy.
Glad that you agree :P ! Sometimes I find it quite difficult to choose the perfect colours. I am sure that luxury cars of that era were much more colourful and bright than supposed nowadays. But you're right, this set of three colours seems now to be almost perfect :)

No, this is not the two-tone painting, but the red scallop covered with black BMF for spraying the rest black:

It's always very difficult to cut out the masking foil exactly, I really hope that it will work this time...

Second layer of "new" yellow:

Many other parts painted black:

And permanently making tires, tires, tires:

For more than twenty T57s I need almost 100 tires (including spare wheels), so I will have to cast lots of them...

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:34 pm

That almost seems like work. :lol:

I like the paler yellow, the greenish tinge of the first coats looked bad but this is fantastic.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:34 pm
That almost seems like work. :lol: I like the paler yellow, the greenish tinge of the first coats looked bad but this is fantastic.
Well, it takes some time until everything's on the right way, as it seems... :) But I'm sure I'll use the bright yellow for some other Bugatti type, I don't give up that fast ;)

Some tiny works: All three front bumpers are completed, and the number plates, too. I'm glad that I found a font featuring pre-war German train and traffic letters which were also in use in the Alsace, which was some years earlier German. Look at the unusually designed "2":

Seats and disc wheel covers primed:

Tadaa :D :

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 pm

Your details are, as usually, top notch. The separation between the red and black paint is incredibly sharp.

They used to do even weirder 2s in France, with the top closed to a circle.

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:51 pm

Top notch painwork. Really looking forward to seeing this once the gloss goes on.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 pm
Your details are, as usually, top notch. The separation between the red and black paint is incredibly sharp. They used to do even weirder 2s in France, with the top closed to a circle.
Masking works well if the BMF foil is fresh and sticky! For the blue one (see below) it was quite a mess, the foil got loose and I didn't see it, the result was a very "unsharp" separation... :? - Old licence plates are really beautiful, aren't they? Unfortunately I've got no possibility to design "licence fonts" by myself, but it would be great to have specific fonts for each country and period available... :)
Jager wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:51 pm
Top notch painwork. Really looking forward to seeing this once the gloss goes on.
Thanks! I hope that by the end of the week I'm going to clear lacquer the body parts...

My latest acquisition: a device for vacuuming spray mist (please help me with the translation!)

This works really good! I wouldn't have expected such a good effect - really recommendable!

And the blue Stelvio, already after having retouched most of the blemishes:

Tomorrow I plan to finish re-working this - please cross your fingers that I don't have to repeat all the painting... :roll:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:55 pm

I used to make fonts myself. Making custom lettering for number plates in vector EPS files would be easy. Let me know if you want my help, I'd love to get involved.
Not that your plates are anything but great right now, mind you...

The spray booth with extractor looks nice. When I was building kits, I used to want something like that too.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Jean B. wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:37 pm
And the blue Stelvio, already after having retouched most of the blemishes:
You'd never know there were problems at all.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Quality painting

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:57 am

Good to know you liked the painting cabin. I was thinking about buying one for myself.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Tom wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:55 pm
I used to make fonts myself. Making custom lettering for number plates in vector EPS files would be easy. Let me know if you want my help, I'd love to get involved. Not that your plates are anything but great right now, mind you... The spray booth with extractor looks nice. When I was building kits, I used to want something like that too.
Thanks a lot for your help! Indeed I'd love to have a font showing a "3" with a flat top (if you know what I mean), perhaps an existing font could be changed in such a way...?
Jager wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:42 pm
You'd never know there were problems at all.
Well, if something like that happens, I'm in such a panic that I do anything to delete those flaws immediately... :oops:
reeft1 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 pm
Quality painting
Thanks! The painting for the red one is almost perfect, but for the blue and the yellow I'm quite disappointed. Later I found out what the difference was: For the red one I used black BMF, for the other two "matte aluminium". I've found out that the "unusual" BMF types (matte, gold) are so rarely sold, that the material is too old and the glue dried out. So my masking looked good, but the edges got loose and the black spray went under... My advice: only use BMF chrome or black, I've never had difficulties with those two types :twisted:
Serafa wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:57 am
Good to know you liked the painting cabin. I was thinking about buying one for myself.
Really recommendable! There are two types, with 17W or 38W. I bought the higher one - of course :) If you buy one, let me know, I could give you some hints for using it.

There were some days pause, much other things to do, and I have an inflamed eye which makes model-building a little bit difficult at the moment... However, here are some new pics:

The wheel discs are painted black and already punched into a spheric shape:

The yellow Ventoux, not perfect, but I can accept the result (with a first layer of clear lacquer):

...and the red Stelvio, 1 x clear lacquered:

One set of seats is painted black:

And now the most important thing for today: I resumed casting radiator grilles, and this time I made a very slight change in doing this. I now punched the mould with the molten metal continously to the ground until the metal has set (being careful not to splash the hot metal over my fingers :roll: ). The result: absolutely sharp-edged pieces! The surrounding edge goes all around - as I planned to do it! Believe me, a result like that makes tons of Prozac expendable :D

gilma

Post by gilma » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 pm

The paint looks great, you make everything seem so easy, though it's not 8-)

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Your results and creative solutions continue to amaze me.

I can help you with the fonts, basing them on existing ones is indeed the best solution. I can do all kinds of pixel formats and a few vector formsts, like .eps. Let me know what you'd like to receive and I would be happy to help.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:48 pm

gilma wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 pm
The paint looks great, you make everything seem so easy, though it's not 8-)
Well, I guess I've seen lots of cooking shows on TV and had a look on how they're doing it, having a five-course-menu ready in 25 minutes :lol:
Tom wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:32 pm
Your results and creative solutions continue to amaze me.

I can help you with the fonts, basing them on existing ones is indeed the best solution. I can do all kinds of pixel formats and a few vector formsts, like .eps. Let me know what you'd like to receive and I would be happy to help.
Thank you so much, that sounds very interesting! I'll have a look at some books showing French cars of the 1930, and then I'll let you know, o.k.? :P

Here's a photo of casting the radiator grille, yesterday I made the last turn and now I have around 15 items, enough for all T57s I have:

The second coating with clear lacquer is made:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Looking better and better!

Let me know about those fonts, if there's a decent high-res image I can work from scratch too.