Delage D6-70 Spécial by Plumbies International

Jean B.

Delage D6-70 Spécial by Plumbies International

Post by Jean B. » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:54 am

Wanna see a new build? However, I'm used to post my daily work and so I'll do it once again. As a new project I decided to take the Delage D6-70 Spéciale with coachwork by Figoni & Falaschi, built in 1936. The car was planned to make its entry on the racing course, but the race didn't take place, and so it was first presented at a Concours d'Élégance. Following the economic decline during the early 1930s, Louis Delage was forced to sell his company, famous for racing cars, to competitor Delahaye. There the potential of Delage was acknowledged and the name kept as a second production line, while Mr Delage was hired as a technical director with the right to build one-off racing cars after his own specifications and under his own name without direct involvement of Delahaye. This D6-70 actually was based on a Delahaye 135 chassis, and after only two years the body was removed and put on another Delahaye chassis, this time with an original Delahaye radiator grille. After WWII this car is considered to had been disappeared anywhere... Today there are two or three complete recreations, which seem to differ in some details from the original car, it is difficult to create certain details of the car, but I will try my best!

That's the car at the Concours, I don't know whether the lady is Mme Figoni or Mme Delage?:

Somewhere it's said that the car would had been painted in a light red resp. orange... will we ever know?

With the family of M. Figoni:

This seems to be the only picture showing the tail of the car:

The model by Plumbies International (Western Models/Danhausen) in its original condition:

Especially the cutouts for the wheels are too large, and the conture of the rear fenders is too upright.

Disassembling and stripping:

Screw hole broken:

:roll: :

Nicely made, but I will change the rear fenders:

The belt is nice, but the air intakes are a little bit untidy:

Giving it a proper stance:

The scale of the model is perfectly 1/43, the wheels have the exact size after specification, so the wheel arch is too large:

Screw hole fixed:

Wheel arch filled up with solder, new one marked:

Much better now:

The other side:

Of course I'd like to create the Concours version, and so I have to make spats for the rear wheels:

The top edge of the rear fenders should be raised by a small amount, furthermore there must be some round-shaped fins to the bottom point:

For that reason I use metal repair putty, a two-component resin filled with metal powder. This gets extremely hard and durable and can be drilled, milled and filed to any shape:

After shaping:

The other side:

That's all for the start... I guess I will now look at the model for a while to find out if I should still modify the fender top edge slightly... :)

David MG

Re: Delage D6-70 Spécial by Plumbies International

Post by David MG » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:20 pm

Looking forward to this one.
Cheers,
David

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:19 pm

David MG wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:20 pm

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 am

Jean B. wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:54 am
Somewhere it's said that the car would had been painted in a light red resp. orange... will we ever know?
Interesting choice Jean. Is this the same orange-red Delage D6 from the 1937 Le Mans that Spark modelled ?

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:27 am

Excellent pick for your new project and being one single model it might feel more like hobby and less like work. :lol: I'm glad you will do the rear spats, looks much better with them.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 am

Here's another interesting picture showing the rear open. Did it have a "dickie" seat arrangement ?

David MG

Post by David MG » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:02 am

Jager wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 am
Here's another interesting picture showing the rear open. Did it have a "dickie" seat arrangement ?

Reckon, this is the same woman, as it's the same car.
Certainly looks like a novel occasional arrangement for rear seat passengers in a 2 str. coupe. I note it is on the Spark LM and this ixo. I wonder if Jean might have a go at replicating? It would certainly be something different!

Cheers,
David

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:31 pm

David MG wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:20 pm
Ozmac wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:19 pm
Welcome on board! :P
Jager wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 am
Jean B. wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:54 am
Interesting choice Jean. Is this the same orange-red Delage D6 from the 1937 Le Mans that Spark modelled ?
Yes, it's the same car. The Spark model shows wonderful proportions, far better than the Western model :roll: I guess I won't reach this standard, but you know me, I always love "trying to"... :)
Tom wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:27 am
Excellent pick for your new project and being one single model it might feel more like hobby and less like work. :lol: I'm glad you will do the rear spats, looks much better with them.
Cross your fingers that I will reach the right & proper look. You won't believe how many hours I've already been spending shaping the rear fenders and spats and still not getting to the point...
Jager wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 am
Yes, it did. But a quite funny construction: the rear set was to enter through the normal doors, but to have enough space for your hairdo a kind of door (including the two windows) could be opened rearwards.
David MG wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:02 am
Reckon, this is the same woman, as it's the same car.
Certainly looks like a novel occasional arrangement for rear seat passengers in a 2 str. coupe. I note it is on the Spark LM and this ixo. I wonder if Jean might have a go at replicating? It would certainly be something different!
Sorry, no moving parts :D ! I've got enough cars for anyone driving another one... :lol:

First turn of photo-etching for most wheel parts:

There is hardly a difference to see, but I straightened and lowered the rear top edge of the fenders again, shortened the fins a little bit and I guess, that's all I can do...

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:36 pm

That looks a lot better already.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:40 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:36 pm
That looks a lot better already.
Thanks for that evaluation! And I hope it's going to look even better when I'm proceeding the following way:

I didn't plan this, but now I've milled out a plain gap for the spats which could be made by p/e parts this way, giving a completely plain surface and allowing (hopefully) a proper bottom edge.

I found a piece of p/e scrap with exactly the right diameter, just to show what I'm thinking of. :)

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:42 am

Nice, good idea!

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:41 am

Impressive work Jean, but I wonder if there is really much to be gained by making the spats a separate p/e part ?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:42 am
Nice, good idea!
Jager wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:41 am
Impressive work Jean, but I wonder if there is really much to be gained by making the spats a separate p/e part ?
Indeed it has a certain advantage to make it this way: The spats go straight downward, while the fenders are round-shaped to the bottom edge. When making the spats from a separate p/e part, I can create this contrast much better compared to making it all from the body (I hope you can understand what I mean, it's terrible for me trying to express all those details in English... :roll: ).

The completed wheels:

Assembling the chassis:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Looks like you've nailed both the proportions and the stance. Excellent as usual.
And yes, your explanation about the spats is completely clear.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:19 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:04 pm
Looks like you've nailed both the proportions and the stance. Excellent as usual.
And yes, your explanation about the spats is completely clear.
Glad to hear that :) This is indeed one of the model cars which are difficult to shape! I compare the model and the original photographs hours by hours and it's very tricky to find out how all the lines have to flow to achieve the proper proportions... Western Models simply made the tail a little bit too long, and I fear I cannot fix this, but I hope that I will create a nice model, though ;)

Today I've made many restorations works, and furthermore the designs for the typical Figoni spats, here's the paper cut-out:

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Despite your concerns the proportions look good Jean. The spats will be very eye-catching.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 am

Agree. Looks great, looking forward to the final spats.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Jager wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:02 pm
Despite your concerns the proportions look good Jean. The spats will be very eye-catching.
Thanks for your opinion! Perhaps it's better to have a look from "outside"... :) The difficulty is that on all vintage photos you cannot exactly see how the spats are designed, so I studied all the other Figoni designs with that curves and circles on the rear spats to conclude how they could have looked like.
Tom wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 am
Agree. Looks great, looking forward to the final spats.
Thanks :P ! The photos of the recreated Delages D6-70 show slightly different interpretations of the spat design, and I guess the coachbuilders also used their fantasy to do this detail... ;)

After a successful p/e session, I was keen to try how everything turns out :o As every time, all things went in a completely different direction than I had planned, but I think the result is not so bad:

Final finishing still to be made...

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:56 am

That looks fantastic!

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:30 am

Tom wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:56 am
That looks fantastic!
X 2, and I know I've asked you before about detailing tyres but the Dunlop lettering looks quite prominent. Aren't you at least a little tempted to include this feature? :twisted:

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:56 am
That looks fantastic!
Thanks :P ! Meanwhile (see below) I'm quite satisfied, too ;) At least I hope that Mr Figoni would be proud of my work :oops:
BertOne wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:30 am
X 2, and I know I've asked you before about detailing tyres but the Dunlop lettering looks quite prominent. Aren't you at least a little tempted to include this feature? :twisted:
Please don't think that I wouldn't have worried about that... :roll: But by now I haven't got any idea how to do this in a convincing manner. Even single p/e letters would not fit around the vaulted tires, not to mention how to fix them in a proper rounded line... But you know, I'll never give up :)

And for those of you who want to make the same build, here's the step-by-step instruction for making spats:

The plain p/e part.

Checking if the arch fits.

Bending the corners.

Glueing together and filing the surrounding edges.

Mounting the relieved shapes.

Filling the joints with putty and honing and filing all edges.

Ready!

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:25 pm

The spats alone are works of art! :o

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 pm

What glue do you use for metal to metal Jean? Is it fast acting or do you have to tape in place until it sets?

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Just watching with pure admiration. Quite amazing stuff Jean, a real pleasure to watch you build.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".