What Have You Bought Today (white metal)?

Jager

Re: What Have You Bought Today (white metal)?

Post by Jager » Fri May 17, 2019 10:10 am

That's a seriously rough casting. Good luck !
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:05 pm
I'd consider making it myself if I were you. Not much will be left in the end anyway. :lol: The car in the picture is beautiful.
There are so many design sketches of that era which never came to a real car... :roll: Actually you should build up a collection only consisting of cars that never were... ;)
klubman01 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:43 am
The Alfa-Romeo 8C would be a fabulous project! Such a sensual shape!
And there are so many more fantastic Alfas which have not survived, but only with a few photos. I wish I had started model building some twenty years earlier...
Jager wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:10 am
That's a seriously rough casting. Good luck !
Thanks! Yes, it's a terrible model. I have to admit that I was completely confused when buying this. The seller declared that as Western Model, but I was of course wondering about that. When having received the car, I remembered that I had already seen the model elsewhere... :)

Already some time ago I found this beautiful Lancia Astura with a striking Pininfarina coachwork, made by Auto Hobby:

The front bumper is missing, and so...

...I couldn't resist to buy another one including the bumper. Unfortunately this part is of such poor quality that I will have to make it new from scratch, anyway... :roll:

And here's the original car, obviously in a very original condition, including the paintwork:

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Jean B. wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:08 pm
There are so many design sketches of that era which never came to a real car... :roll: Actually you should build up a collection only consisting of cars that never were... ;)
Now that's an idea. I love seeing those old pics of fantastical, fantasy cars that never came to fruition. You could also be reasonably sure that no one else will make them although Autocult might albeit in the dreaded resin!
Lancias are cool; would love to see them transformed.

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Great idea, tough to execute though... lots of cars that never made it past a design sketch which leave you with plenty of guesswork.

Lighters

Post by Lighters » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Here's my latest acquisition - surely the world's last remaining 'new old stock' SMTS Cizeta Moroder, as repatriated from a Parisian emporium
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 pm

Congrats, rare find!

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 am

I have the white one bought new in September '98 for a very expensive 30GBP. Lovely model. Red is even better!

Tihomir

Post by Tihomir » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:30 am

One minivan has arrived.

Marmon V16

Duesenberg Special WM in not so good condition. Looking for spare windshield and hood ornament.

Bulgarian diecast community - http://diecastcarsbg.com/

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:04 pm

Tihomir wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:30 am
Congratulations to your new Brooklins and Western Models! I own the Stout and the Duesenberg, too, and the Marmon Coupé instead of the limousine. I also have the Duesenberg made by TinWizard, which of course has a quite different quality compared to Western. Maybe I could do something for you concerning the missing parts, I'll have a look.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:15 pm

BertOne wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:28 pm
Jean B. wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:08 pm
Now that's an idea. I love seeing those old pics of fantastical, fantasy cars that never came to fruition. You could also be reasonably sure that no one else will make them although Autocult might albeit in the dreaded resin! Lancias are cool; would love to see them transformed.
Autocult really has a thrilling portfolio, but as you say, dreaded resin :roll: ! On the other hand, if they made all their cars in white-metal, I'd have to attack a bank :D !
Tom wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:12 pm
Great idea, tough to execute though... lots of cars that never made it past a design sketch which leave you with plenty of guesswork.
Meanwhile I've collected dozens of vintage car designs of the 1930s (virtually), it should be a fantastic plan to make some of them by scratchbuilding... Will I ever try this... ?

Being busy with Lancia, I finally bought this partwork Astura:

It's one of five (?) so-called "Tipo Bocca" by Pinin Farina.

Unfortunately they made completely wrong rear wings & tail. The wings should be "long & straight", the bumper straight. Perhaps I'll build this somewhen in the far future, we'll see..

Summertime needs Italian cabriolets, and so I've added this magnificent Alfa Romeo, quite a modern design:

The chromed version would be difficult to build (the chrome cannot be removed and is difficult to paint), but I can use the plastic roof for the other one :)

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:38 pm

I am fairly sure you will eventually progress to building entire cars. Halfway there already.

Very nice buys, looking forward to your builds.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 pm

It’s not s big leap of my imagination to see you scratch building

Tihomir

Post by Tihomir » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:21 am

SMTS Aston Martin DB5 in rather unusual brown metallic. Reminds me of Steve McQueen 250 Lusso which I have.

Bulgarian diecast community - http://diecastcarsbg.com/

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 am

Very nice!

Lighters

Post by Lighters » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Tihomir wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:21 am
SMTS Aston Martin DB5 in rather unusual brown metallic. Reminds me of Steve McQueen 250 Lusso which I have.

That, Tihomir, is an absolute pearl!

What an acquisition! And a great, distinctive, colour choice. Far, far better than 'silver birch' etc. I salute you Sir!

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:57 pm

Very nice!