Talbot-Lago T150CSS Western Models

Jean B.

Talbot-Lago T150CSS Western Models

Post by Jean B. »

Hi there, I'm back - that means, I've never left my workbench, but did not show any new projects for my own collection the last weeks... You know, the F3 racer for a client is done, and so - finally! - I can concentrate on my own cars. Last time I made the two Talbot-Lago roadsters by Figoni, and as I have another dozen of Talbot and Figoni models, I wondered if it would be nice to make them all subsequently as many parts are the same or very similar for all those cars. Well, and so I was not lazy, but built exactly 49 wheels for twelve cars:

The bare metal spoke wheels are already mounted...

...the rims which are to be painted are primed first.

The classic spoke wheels...

...and a set of rather modern spoke wheels...

...one set with wheel discs...

...and two sets with white walls. All wheels are based on the same master, this will give the whole subject a coherent look.

I forgot: the cars :D

One to be converted into chassis 90107 "carènée"...

...one into chassis 90117...

...and the third into chassis 90103.

Tom

Re: Talbot-Lago T150CSS Western Models

Post by Tom »

Beautiful cars, looking forward to all the results of your hard work over the coming weeks.

gilma

Post by gilma »

Great to see some new builds, looking forward to that 8-)

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 »

One of my favorite pre-war designs! I'll get some chips and a nice sofa to watch this thread!
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:46 pm
Beautiful cars, looking forward to all the results of your hard work over the coming weeks.
...let's say the coming months :roll: Feel invited :P
gilma wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:30 am
Great to see some new builds, looking forward to that 8-)
Welcome to this subject, enjoy the story!
Paulius43 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:27 am
One of my favorite pre-war designs! I'll get some chips and a nice sofa to watch this thread!
Great design, isn't it? And don't forget what your mother always said: "go play outside" :D

Always a big mess, but necessary: the acetone bath :roll:

Ready to start.

Fixing the chassis.

Checking the stance is always difficult with white-metals, as those old hand-made models are crooked in any direction...

The trim was made masterly by Western Models, though it's quite to crude to keep it the original way. So I decided to solder the parts firmly to the body and making the trim with Bare Metal Foil.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Those are some really classy cars, Jean! I appreciate the Stork you sent me for my Hispano-Suiza so if I have any parts you can use just let me know. :D

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Alex_W wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:13 pm
Those are some really classy cars, Jean! I appreciate the Stork you sent me for my Hispano-Suiza so if I have any parts you can use just let me know. :D
Don't be shy, I know what you really want:

The wings must be newly shaped: The front wings must be more curvaceous, the running boards lower and longer and the forward edge of the rear wing must be more vertical. The first side is made, and I take the shape with this nice instrument to transfer it to the other side and the other cars.

...which is hardly necessary, I've got a good sense of proportion ;)

The original shape below.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Wow, that profile gauge is a great idea!

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Jean B. wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:08 pm
Alex_W wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:13 pm
Don't be shy, I know what you really want:

A true classic!

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

I had Wacky Races wallpaper as a 6 yr old.....

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:28 pm
Wow, that profile gauge is a great idea!
It's a helpful instrument for such cases. I love browsing through tool catalogues... :P
Alex_W wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:34 pm
A true classic!
:D
reeft1 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 am
I had Wacky Races wallpaper as a 6 yr old.....
What a wonderful childhood... :mrgreen:

Still not satisfied with the front wings... So I transferred the swing of the original fender to an Inkscape design...

...fixed the fenders to the baseplate...

...cut a slot along the fender...

...checking the proportions with the paper cutout...

...photo-etching the contures...

...glueing the p/e parts into the slot...

...smoothening with some putty...

...and right now we have a wonderfully shaped front wing!

The curvature of the front wings was delicately designed by Mr Figoni! Convex and concave curves evoke a "lively" dynamic swing which was shown in the original Western Model not at all!

Only five times more... :roll:

Tom

Post by Tom »

You're making this into a torture session for yourself by making more models every time... :lol: that front wing was off by a mile, it didn't even look similar. Much better now!

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Very clever technique

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:38 pm
You're making this into a torture session for yourself by making more models every time... :lol: that front wing was off by a mile, it didn't even look similar. Much better now!
This is a torture, you can bet :roll: It's such a hard work to reshape those wings, I'm really exhausted when having made one... But you're right, the original wings looked like the ones of a Jaguar XK120 rather than those of the real Figoni design, so I have no choice... :)
reeft1 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:05 pm
Very clever technique
First I planned to make the new shape like the time before, with a wire tearing over the wing. But this is also quite difficult with convex/concave curves and it's hardly impossible to make three cars looking the same.

Much other things to do this week, so there is no big progress, but one fender after the other is getting done.

Hard to believe, but although all three cars are made from the same mould and have the same baseplates and wheelbase, one of the three has a slightly differently shaped nose, so that the same p/e parts sit differently compared to the two others :shock: That's why I've changed my original chassis numbers and make the "other one" now the car with the hidden front wheels, as this will look unique, anyway... ;)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

As the front fenders slowly get in shape, I am now starting with the rear fenders and made some additional supporting parts for fixing them. Unfortunately I made a big mistake when designing them :oops: ...

...so I had to make some further supporting parts of simple cardboard, as I didn't want to repeat the p/e session... :roll:

However, the first of the six rear fenders in total already received it's new conture, this time soldered - let's see how many months I need for making all three cars... :)

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks like a hell of a job. Good luck on all cars...

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Alex_W wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:05 pm
Nice work on the fenders!
Thanks! Your encouraging words helped me going through the last week... :roll: I guess the works on the fenders were the heaviest I've had so far! The method with the p/e contures works quite well, but it needs around 50 turns of filling & honing to achieve a proper result...
Tom wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:55 pm
That looks like a hell of a job. Good luck on all cars...
It was a hell of a job, you can bet! To make all those twelve fenders was a bigger mess than the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but I hope that this was already the worst thing for this project, cross your fingers :)

And again one of the last rear fenders...

The front fenders are meanwhile almost ready.

Slowly getting in shape.

Interesting that there are some differences in the casting of the original Western Models. My p/e parts are of course exactly the same, but when mounting them, different distances and mouldings get visible, so that the three cars will not show the exactly same measurements.

I didn't get the absolutely original profile, but in general I'm quite satisfied with the wing line.

A very simple template helps making exactly positioned and circular cutouts for the wheels.

Placed instead of the wheel...

...and milled out with a silicone wheel the result couldn't better be :P

New bottom line for the front end.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Wow. So are you going to change all the differences between the castings?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:39 pm
Wow. So are you going to change all the differences between the castings?
No, I think this would be impossible. After all, the WM models as well as my conversions are hand-crafted, and this always means lots of irregularities and asymmetries... However, the original cars were hand-built, too, and if you view old pictures, you can see wavy surfaces and so on at the cars. It's only the contemporary restorations which eliminate all those irregularities... :)

All the wheel cut-outs are made, and now I'm retouching the rear end. With a supporting p/e template showing the same angle as with my recent Mikansue Talbots, a new "vee-d" rear end is made, later to be completed with an according bumper.

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks pretty good so far.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:54 pm
That looks pretty good so far.
...and it's still only the beginning :roll: I hadn't thought that this Western Model is of quite a poor quality concerning the model design. It's made by Richard Hutchins in 1978, but I guess it was not his finest hour. To convert all the mistakes, and that three times for three cars, is a kind of climbing the Mount Everest... :)

Meanwhile, the main works on the fenders...

...and the tails are finished, so far.

The windhield got a completely wrong shape, it's not even similar to the original car. Trying to correct this, as far as it is possible: first applying adhesive tape and colouring it.

Cutting out the openings with a sharp blade.

Fixing the remaining tape onto a sheet of paper and scanning it.

Importing the graphic to InkScape...

...I'm now able to design a windshield frame which covers the original contures and gets closer to the original car, also.

A cutout gives a first impression...

...and shows the difference!

A print on transparent foil makes sure that the p/e frame will cover the cutouts, on the other hand won't be too large for not going into the roof.

I was not lazy, here are all (?) templates for scribing in hoods & covers. Photo-etching is going to be made tomorrow :P

Tom

Post by Tom »

The windscreen surround is a great idea! Looks much better now.

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Great stuff. I've made masking templates for my Watson conversions using similar methods.