Talbot-Lago T150CSS by Ixo/Altaya

Jean B.

Talbot-Lago T150CSS by Ixo/Altaya

Post by Jean B. »

Today's Labour Day, and what better to do than starting a new project :D Continuing with the Talbot-Lago Teardrop design by Figoni, I'm now approaching the third and last chapter (for this particular subject, not for Figoni or Talbot in general ;) ) with the kind-of "notchback" type named "Jeancart" after the first buyer of this type. Base is the well-known Ixo/Altaya model which shows surprisingly good proportions and details and which is made completely of metal, at least (means lower and upper body made of die-cast, while many other Altaya models have a plastic base). I bought the "silver-line" version when I had the plan to build this and scratch the chromed parts through, but this would have been nonsense. So I made some research and found out that Figoni made exactly two cars with this particular design, even when both cars differ in many details from each other.

This is chassis no 90104, originally sold to an owner living in Morocco:

The car was in regular use in North Africa until the 1980s :o

The second is chassis no 90116, sold in France to a private racing driver and thus equipped a little less elegant than the other Teardrops:

Let the show begin! :D

Disassembling shows some nice details for a cheap model like that, for example the complete headlights under the grilles.

I guess all that stuff is for the scrap yard...

Upper and lower body will be all I keep for building.

Starting - as usual - with a bath in acetone.

The plated one needed the acetone bath, too, as it was varnished. This varnish got yellowish, so I recommend all collectors of the Altaya "Silver Line" to do that to have their cars white-silver again... ;)

The silver one is galvanized, so the coverage cannot be eliminated. When removing the relieved details, we can see the necessary copper layer, allowing to galvanize non-noble metal with other metals.

Removing all details.

Tom

Re: Talbot-Lago T150CSS by Ixo/Altaya

Post by Tom »

You're not taking any breather, are you? :o Funny thing is, that looking at your thread I'd put the Ixo model on my wish list. Will take it off the list now, because after seeing your build it will never look good again... :D

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:41 pm
You're not taking any breather, are you? :o Funny thing is, that looking at your thread I'd put the Ixo model on my wish list. Will take it off the list now, because after seeing your build it will never look good again... :D
I'm in a maniac episode, perhaps because of having mixed some bathroom salt into my drink... :mrgreen: Why taking this one off of your list? I'm sure there is an IXO museum variation with p/e wheels, and this is quite a nice model, don't you think? The other possibility is you're grabbing the next available Altaya version and simply follow my blog, step by step, will you :?:

Isn't that funny? The side louvers of the Ixo model have almost exactly the same layout and measurement as the ones I have designed for my recent builds! However, I'm going to remove the relieved ones for having a consistent look of all my Talbot-Lagos :)

My self-made wheels are slightly bigger than the Ixo ones and thus get stuck in the rear wheel arches. I'll have to mill them out.

Fixing the brass tubes for the axles. Making this with die-cast models is quite an easy job, compared to classic white-metals.

A template helps milling out the front wheel arch exactly to the bigger wheels.

Perfect!

The walls of the front wings are now much too thick and have to be thinned out.

Nice, isn't it?

And no. 2.

I always hate those terrible holes in the base-plates of diecast-models.

Much better :)

Tom

Post by Tom »

I'll surely get the same build quality by just following your instructions... oh, and buying lots of supplies and tools naturally. Naah, I'll just enjoy your build.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:49 pm
I'll surely get the same build quality by just following your instructions... oh, and buying lots of supplies and tools naturally. Naah, I'll just enjoy your build.
And I enjoy your participation here :P Perhaps you should give me your list so that I could avoid making any car mentioned on that ;)

While I am rather satisfied with the shape of the front wings, the rear wings lack the ridge. I therefore have to tear a 0.3mm wire over the wings...

...apply plenty of putty all over...

...and file this down to the wire again. This way I get fine and straight ridges all over the length.

gilma

Post by gilma »

Another Talbot-Lago (or two) are always a treat. Here is the museum version Tom, though it's not close to Jeans' works

Tom

Post by Tom »

I'm pretty sure that there will be few crossovers in our wish lists... mainly because I'm trying to keep out of the subject of art deco cars, where good models are usually very expensive.
Great idea to use the wire for the rear wings.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:51 pm
I'm pretty sure that there will be few crossovers in our wish lists... mainly because I'm trying to keep out of the subject of art deco cars, where good models are usually very expensive.
Great idea to use the wire for the rear wings.
I think the Minichamps Mullin Collection is very beautiful. What do you think? The "wire method" is the only thing that works with diecast. The material is hard as stainless steel and is always a big challenge to work with... :roll:

Engraving small air intakes for the 90104.

Changing the outline edges of the rear lid.

Using the "wire method" again to make small appendices of the rear fin.

Opening the sunroof. And please don't ask how difficult it was to make such a cutout in diecast... :twisted:

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yes, zamac is really hard to reshape. I usually get no further than Dremeling a piece off and remoulding in filler.
Amazingly clean job on that sunroof, my hat's off to you!

Mullin Collection is amazing but sold at high prices, and pretty much sold out online now. I also love the Matrix Louwman Collection. Trying to limit myself from buying whatever I like because LSR cars attract me too, as well as Targa Florio or Carrera Panamericana cars. You cannot collect everything...

Jager

Post by Jager »

Great work in just a few days Jean, though I suspect it took you longer in real life. How long did it take you just to do the sunroof ;)
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:27 pm
Yes, zamac is really hard to reshape. I usually get no further than Dremeling a piece off and remoulding in filler.
Amazingly clean job on that sunroof, my hat's off to you!

Mullin Collection is amazing but sold at high prices, and pretty much sold out online now. I also love the Matrix Louwman Collection. Trying to limit myself from buying whatever I like because LSR cars attract me too, as well as Targa Florio or Carrera Panamericana cars. You cannot collect everything...
That's right, that's why I early decided to restrict my collection to the meanwhile known categories... :) Sometimes I'm strongly tempted to buy a Tucker or the gorgeous Daimler Green Goddess, but there's no sense in doing so, I won't build them anyway. Cutting out the sunroof finally worked with simply using a jewellers saw. But to get there was terrible...
Jager wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:25 pm
Great work in just a few days Jean, though I suspect it took you longer in real life. How long did it take you just to do the sunroof ;)
No, really, I started the 1st of May with the cars as shown in my first post, believe me. The sunroof took from Monday evening to Tuesday noon, to be exact :D . But it was one of the "blood, sweat and tears" works and costed three saw blades... :roll:

Having just made the sunroof, the next drama is waiting: I will never understand why all model makers generally make curved windshields for pre-war cars :?: To flatten the cutouts at white-metals is not so difficult, but with die-cast models it's simply horrible. So I first tried to mill and grind the surrounding, but without real success...

No matter what for, photo-etching is the solution in almost any distress! So I made frames for the windshield and...

...glued them onto the model, then filled the surrounding gaps with putty.

The putty carefully shaped exactly to the p/e frame...

...frames cut out and cleaned, and: voilà :D

The curved original for comparison.

And both finished.

Now I can attach my usual p/e framed window panes onto the then-painted body. Wasn't that easy :D

Tom

Post by Tom »

I know how much work that was for so little visible progress. I am impressed.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:59 pm
I know how much work that was for so little visible progress. I am impressed.
Thanks! Honestly, I hope that you will see the difference compared to the original windscreen ;)

Yesterday and today I was busy with puzzling the next necessary p/e parts. As I have to smoothen the reverse side of the rear windows for fitting in the p/e window frames, I reshape the cutouts a little bit according to the original car.

The interior parts are not yet necessary, but I am used to design all related parts at once as soon as I have made the basic shapes or parts.

Tom

Post by Tom »

The visible changes add up to the difference between a decent model and a masterpiece. Hard to pinpoint what they are individually, but leave one out and it doesn't look right.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:37 pm
The visible changes add up to the difference between a decent model and a masterpiece. Hard to pinpoint what they are individually, but leave one out and it doesn't look right.
It's always hard to decide which conversions I should make and which ones not... As you say, even if some won't really matter, I always think that in total even the slight changings will improve the look of the model, so mostly I do make those things :)

Big day today: three sheets etched; the 0.5mm with only poor quality, but this was not my fault, the UV lacquer on the metal sheet was not good...

Reshaping the rear windows: First filling the cutouts with polyester putty.

With the template marking the new cutouts.

And only four hours later: the smaller and rounder new rear windows :)

The interior parts. Should I make another suitcases?

The rear fins are made: A higher one for the touring car No 90116, a lower one for the 90104.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I think suitcases are now mandatory. :lol: The new shape of the rear window is fantastic, impressive how you managed to do that.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:36 pm
I think suitcases are now mandatory. :lol: The new shape of the rear window is fantastic, impressive how you managed to do that.
O.k. another set of Louis Vuitton - Works like the rear windows are really terrible! You can make templates as many as you like, finally you have to cut out the openings by hand and judging by your eyes if they have the correct shape. And then the terror begins: left too high, right too low, left too narrow, right too wide... :evil:

The front wings have a lower edge parallel to the ground, but this line must have a "swing" upwards...

...which can be made quite easily.

I always use "Permapaque" pens as a kind of "instant primer": the pen dries immediately opaque and matte, so that you can see all untidy surfaces and correct them before priming with the airbrush.

Of course I don't need the original plastic interior, but...

...the bench has a nice layout and fits perfectly, so that I'm wondering if I would use the plastic part for making a white-metal cast of it.

On the photos it is not fully visible how the headlights are mounted, so I make them "faired-in" halfway...

...which seems to be a little bit too low, but on the other hand it's similar to the Figoni touring version of the Delage D6, so I am going to keep it this way.

Plus the additional foglights.

This is a really tricky detail: Due to the construction of the Ixo model, there is a gap between running board and rear wing which cannot be filled entirely as the two parts must stay separated. There's no alternative to apply just a little bit putty at that point...

...and bringing this into a proper shape.

Doors are flattened/smoothened from the inside.

Louvers are mounted and brushed with my self-made filler (Humbrol primer mixed with aluminium powder). Priming tomorrow :?:

Tom

Post by Tom »

I am very impressed by your progress. I have cursed zamac often when I was customising models, and I know how hard it is to do what you've accomplished. Also, your experience with cars of this era makes it much easier to sort out the details invisible in pictures and still get the right look.
Clever use of the marker.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:13 pm
I am very impressed by your progress. I have cursed zamac often when I was customising models, and I know how hard it is to do what you've accomplished. Also, your experience with cars of this era makes it much easier to sort out the details invisible in pictures and still get the right look.
Clever use of the marker.
That's one of the things I love modelbuilding for: when making those shapes and conversions, you really learn how a design was intended and which special features are necessary to achieve a certain look. What great artists those carrossiers of Figoni, Saoutchik, Pourtout & Co were back then... :!:

Primer airbrushed.

...and first repair works done. This is a frustrating job with zamac models: You cannot solder those models, but only can use putty for filling and converting. At the same time it is difficult to hone the surfaces thereafter, as the polyester putty is much softer than the zamac, so that you can hardly achieve smooth transitions between these two materials... :?

Tom

Post by Tom »

I know, you often end up sanding away what you've filled so carefully... Looks great already!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:47 pm
I know, you often end up sanding away what you've filled so carefully... Looks great already!
...and at a certain point I always decide to leave it the way it is :) Knowing that when all tinsel is fixed all the small blemishes disappear...

Paints for the two Jeancarts: Photographed in daylight, but appearing rather blueish on the photo. Left: "Bleu dauphin", top row with iriodine overcoat. Center: "Bleu marine" for the body of the 90104, and to the right: "Gris clair" for the wings of 90104. All paints will be covered with iriodine. I'm not sure whether this is authentic, but I like the soft appeal and elegance.

I made both versions of benches and will decide later which one to use.

Here you can see the "real" colour of the wings, a cool and light gray.

And the dolphin blue 90116.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Both colours look quite grey at the moment, interesting to see how it will work out in the final result.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:09 pm
Both colours look quite grey at the moment, interesting to see how it will work out in the final result.
Well, it's like every time: difficult to transport the real impression via screen... 8-)

What's happened during the past week?

Basic colours were covered with Iriodine pearlescent varnish.

I made a new type of luggage set: This time I folded a master out of photo-etch sheet, then casted these masters in white-metal.

Several interior parts.

You know, I don't like plastic, so I casted the original taillights in white-metal :)

Meanwhile the chrome trim resp. the BMF foil is made and the body parts a first time varnished.

klubman01

Post by klubman01 »

That paint finish looks beautiful! I have sometimes found that in "metallic" paint, the particles look too large for 1/43 scale, but you have sorted that properly. Super job!