Delahaye 165 Figoni & Falaschi

Jean B.

Delahaye 165 Figoni & Falaschi

Post by Jean B. »

After finishing the "Talbot-Lago teardrop theme" I am not finished with Talbot-Lago finally, but due to the similarity of the design, I will now continue with another Art Déco dream, the Delahaye 165 Figoni. In my opinion, this vehicle is the apotheosis and the end point in the development of streamline design in the pre-war period. The beginning of this project, however, led to some despair ... I was proud to have got hold of two copies of the old tin model from Jabtoys and decided to use them as a basis:

Of course, I always research the basic technical data for each model, and the very first website showed me the wheelbase for the 165 at 2.70 m. As crude as the Jabtoys model is, the model is in fact absolutely true to scale with regard to the wheelbase and all proportions. I had already started building the underbody when I became suspicious of the size of the original vehicle. Further research then showed that the original car had a wheelbase of 3.21 m - the 2.70 m is the wheelbase for the sports version "Compétition" ... :o It is now impossible to enlarge the Jabtoys models, and they would have the scale of 1/51, which I don't want either. But of course I don't give up that quickly! Long before I bought the Jabtoys model, I had bought the Ixo / Altaya model twice:

I always thought this model was too big, but a review with technical drawings of the original showed that Ixo did a good job and that the model is almost exactly 1/43 scale and also has very good proportions. So I changed my mind and will now use my two Ixos for the construction. I keep the Jabtoys models, of course, because I already have ideas about what to do with them ... ;)

Ixo/Altaya and Jabtoys in comparison.

Gorgeous period drawing of the Figoni 165. This spider was built two times, chassis numbers 60743 and 60744. The first one was displayed on the 1938 Paris Salon, the second one a year later on the World Fair in New York - due to scheduling problems without engine. When WWII broke out, the car was left abandoned in the U.S., and only after many decades an original V12 engine and the body were united to an authentic car. There were three or even four further V12 chassis of the 165 type, but none seems to have survived. However, reportedly they did not have such magnificent coachwork like the two spiders.

Enhancing the chassis.

Softening some "corners".

Drilling small holes as markers for the p/e trim.

The cleaned bodies.

Tips of the rear fenders have a wrong shape...

Cutting slots into the rear fenders and fix p/e contures with the help of the chassis.

Filling...

...and shaping the correct fins.

The original plastic radiator grille will be replaced by a p/e one.

Tom

Re: Delahaye 165 Figoni & Falaschi

Post by Tom »

Another beauty, another one I'll be following...

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:46 pm
Another beauty, another one I'll be following...
Nice to hear :P - Well, time for a short update:

I will try to replace as many plastic parts by metal-casted ones as possible. The rear fin is now casted in metal...

...as well as the headlights. The original headlights were too long, so I modified the shape a little bit. Finally all casted parts will be galvanized to give them a sort of chrome shine.

Main work during the past week was designing and "test-etching" lots of difficult parts... :roll: What might they be good for, finally...? ;)

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks great already. Not a lot of reshaping necessary for this one luckily.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 pm
That looks great already. Not a lot of reshaping necessary for this one luckily.
That's true... However, experience shows that you need almost the same time for every model :roll: If you don't need to do much reshaping, it's some difficulty elsewhere - it's a hard life ;)

Making p/e parts...

...and again...

...and again.

Finding a new method of making seat benches.

It works! The lower part has quite a weird shape, I made a mistake with measurements :oops: But this is not visible in the completed car...

Arranging the door panels.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Some more p/e parts...

I already casted the original plastic fin in white-metal, but I was still unsatisfied with the shape. So I made two complementary p/e parts, shaped the lower one according to the body, and glued it together with the second one onto the car.

These two parts were then soldered together.

After finishing and polishing, the fin looks like this, and now I'm satisfied :P As the completed fin is very solid, it's no problem to solve it from the body where it was glued to.

The new fins compared to the former ones.

The late Delahayes had a kind of "multi function istrument" below the steering wheel - quite modern :shock: It was a fuzzy work to catch the shape of this for the model.

After having primed the car, I sprayed a red foundation, as I paint the cars with glossy enamel paint. Red gloss paints (as well as yellow and orange ones) do not cover very well, so it's recommendable to apply a matching foundation first.

The original cars are described to had been painted in "bright red". As I don't wanted to have them both painted in the same colour, I chose the two boldest red paints available, "Ferrari red" and "arrow red".

Interior is painted cream-white with red accents.

Tom

Post by Tom »

That will be a very nice colour combo. Love your work so far!

stewil

Post by stewil »

Jean,
Your latest works are astounding and I much appreciate your building hints such as the bit about needing a similar paint foundation if red, etc.
Stunning work.
Bravo!
:D
Models = Miracles in miniature = Holding History in ones hand
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

BertOne

Post by BertOne »

There are some pretty large lumps of photo-etch there. I wonder, would it be possible to make a whole car from p/e?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:10 pm
That will be a very nice colour combo. Love your work so far!
Great, that you'll agree :P I loved this "Arrow Red" ever since, but as it is a quite weird colour, I saved it for a really special car. Browsing through my collection of around 250 cars, I found no other car than this Delahaye 165 which would be suitable for such a "Cote d'Azur" colour :D
stewil wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:47 pm
Jean,
Your latest works are astounding and I much appreciate your building hints such as the bit about needing a similar paint foundation if red, etc.
Thank you so much! It's good to hear that you are interested in such hints. I know that every model builder has his own secret recepies for building, but I have had so many annoying things to handle, that I am happy if I can help anyone avoiding those pains... :)
BertOne wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:41 am
There are some pretty large lumps of photo-etch there. I wonder, would it be possible to make a whole car from p/e?
Yes, this time some square meters of p/e shee metal were needed... Real model builders often build their works from brass sheet, it's the classic way to make a unique model. So it is not the question of photo-etching or not - this would be the easiest part of making the needed parts - but rather a question of constructing a model car and shaping the parts. To get the metal parts - even if cut out or photo-etched - shaped into spheric moulds needs lots of craftmanship. Very often jewellers, watchmakers, goldsmiths or precision mechanics do such work as a hobby... :)

The original model wheel and my self-made.

Full sets for both cars.

The almost completed interior.

The finished multi-function instruments.

The two metal radiator grilles and the Ixo plastic part.

Bodies carefully sanded with 4000 MicroMesh linen, making the chromium platings with Bare Metal Foil (Ultra Bright Chrome).

After a first gloss varnishing.

Next step will be another turn of sanding and either a second varnishing or... polishing... :?:

Tom

Post by Tom »

Wow, those look great!

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

super shine

Jager

Post by Jager »

No less inspiring than your earlier works Jean. Bravo.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen