2 x Delahaye 135 Figoni made by Solido

Jean B.

2 x Delahaye 135 Figoni made by Solido

Post by Jean B. »

My Figoni topic continues :D This time - after the magnificent type 165 - the rather decent type 135. This was the "success type" by Delahaye throughout the 1930s, and even after WWII this type in different versions saved the life of the marque - at least until the 1950s... :roll: Solido made a version of a four-seater, somewhen in the 1970, as it seems. I like to pair this "common" version with the stunning elegant version of a 135 MS Compétition Spécial, also made by Figoni.

Here's the 4seater:

Unfortunately there are only four pictures of this car in the www, reportedly taken in Moscow in 2017 :?: Perhaps this explains that the car seems to have disappeared, what a pity :!:

A "sibling car" was also made, and even of this one there are only a handful pictures to be found:

It's not the same one, there are some slight differences, as for example the hood louvers.

The roadster version of the 135 MS is one of my favourites of the 1930s :P Although it shows mainly "classic" lines and details, it's the proportions of the styling which seem to be simply: perfect!

Here's what to start with: Two solid Solidos.

Solido did a really good job: Though the cars are a little bit crude concerning the finish, all measurements, the scale, proportions and even very tiny details are made absolutely correct!

Removing the paint from a Solido model is always really hard work :roll: They used a kind of primer which does not react with nothing! Paint stripper, acetone, heating device and even open fire, anything - without success. A friend of mine is restorer, and she gave me some special solutions for "hard cases", and even this stuff showed no effect. Hours by hours scratching with needles, brushing... and much later the paint went off.

The roadster requires some slimming down, therefore I reinforce the body, first.

Layer by layer polyester putty is put on the body.

At least the rear bench is already closed.

A first bunch of p/e parts.

The roadster also needs completely new rear fenders.

Slots are cut and the p/e template fixed there into.

Too fat in the hips :D The pink marked areas have to be milled off.

Blurry photo, sorry :oops: But the main shape seems already to appear.

Lots of shaping works still to do... :roll:

Tom

Re: 2 x Delahaye 135 Figoni made by Solido

Post by Tom »

Wow, another impressive project! Looking forward to this...
I've always thought that Solidos were quite accurate, let down by the simple details to keep them affordable.

The third picture of the real cars appears to have been taken in the Galleria of the Messe Essen during the Techno Classica.

BertOne

Post by BertOne »

Those old Solidos generally look pretty accurate. Scraping the paint off would be enough to deter me, not that I would ever any effort beyond pressing the "buy it now" button!

gilma

Post by gilma »

I really look forward to seeing this build, as I always thought some Solido models had a lot of potential, and with your talent Jean, would be wonderful 8-)

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

I've been there. Getting the pint off of Solido models is no fun, but they do have potential.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:32 pm
Wow, another impressive project! Looking forward to this...
I've always thought that Solidos were quite accurate, let down by the simple details to keep them affordable.

The third picture of the real cars appears to have been taken in the Galleria of the Messe Essen during the Techno Classica.
...seems so. I wonder why there are no other photos of these two cars. Specially when the owner of the red/cream one already displayed it in Essen. I can understand when owners keep their treasures as a "secret", on the other hand it's such a pity as those old cars are - in my opinion - of public cultural interest. But that's the same for all kinds of fine arts, I guess...
BertOne wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:38 pm
Those old Solidos generally look pretty accurate. Scraping the paint off would be enough to deter me, not that I would ever any effort beyond pressing the "buy it now" button!
To be honest, you're doing right :roll: As I said, imagine: I held the body parts over an open gas flame, and the paint did NOTHING! It even did not burn, changed colour or made any bubbles. So what the hell did Solido spray on? It must have been a kind of glass coating :D However, the Solido master makers used absolutely exact measurements, and even the tiniest details can be found on the white car on the photos I've posted, so at a certain time they must have had access to the car. I found a page stating that the car now seems to be located in Moscow :shock:
gilma wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:16 am
I really look forward to seeing this build, as I always thought some Solido models had a lot of potential, and with your talent Jean, would be wonderful 8-)
At least I try to give them some elegance :) Originally I only wanted to make the Compétition Spécial, but as I can use some parts of my other Figoni builds, I couldn't put the four-seater aside...
Alex_W wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:57 pm
I've been there. Getting the pint off of Solido models is no fun, but they do have potential.
Certainly! I have to admit, as soon as the paint is generally stripped off, the smaller remainings can be removed with rotating steel brushes, so meanwhile I'm confident that they will get a nice painting - somewhen...

My templates help making exact cutouts for the wheel-arches.

:P

The front wing skirtings for the Compétition need to be extended.

Front and rear wings are ready.

The back needs a decent ridge all over. I make it with a 0.6mm wire.

The rear half of the body is completely reshaped.

The four-seater should get a housed spare-wheel. As I only need this for this particular car, I don't make a metal part but use the resin master.

Tom

Post by Tom »

If you know what year the car was displayed in Essen you could see if Google can find more pictures of that show? The car might not be named correctly in the captions so it might not show up if you google its name.

Another impressive project. Why not include yourself with the 'real modellers'? Your work is beyond brilliant, and evolves with every build.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:04 pm
If you know what year the car was displayed in Essen you could see if Google can find more pictures of that show? The car might not be named correctly in the captions so it might not show up if you google its name.

Another impressive project. Why not include yourself with the 'real modellers'? Your work is beyond brilliant, and evolves with every build.
Thanks, I hope that my work evolves ;) , but I often see so fantastic works of other model builders, and I know that I won't reach that level - I've started too late in my life, I guess... :) But I'm simply happy with what I'm doing; I've never had a hobby in all my life which fulfilled my like this one... :D

I can use the same louver design as for the various Talbot-Lagos.

Everything ready for priming.

Done!

Making some new p/e parts.

The recent Delahaye 165's led me to a new method for making interior floor combined with dash and windshield frame.

The front and reverse parts for the windshield have a partial cutout below...

...to be fixed over the tab of the dash. This way the windshield is held in the exact angle and is fixed strongly.

Seems to work!

Already started with painting.

Wheels are ready, obviously :)

I'm not entirely satisfied with the top part of the body, but I'm not sure whether to repeat painting or to leave it this way... :?:

Of course not yet ready, but a first glimpse of how the colour scheme will look like!

Hope you like it :P

I could take the radiator design of the type 165 and adjust it only a little bit in height, so it fits perfectly to the type 135.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Clever windscreen idea!
I generally do not like black models, but this looks sooooo good! Just completely right, especially with the black wheels.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Looking good

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 »

Tom wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:04 pm
Clever windscreen idea!
I generally do not like black models, but this looks sooooo good! Just completely right, especially with the black wheels.
Gorgeous cars look good in any colour! :lol:

Is it me or I get a feeling that every time your projects are faster (shorter period from start to finish)? great work!
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Jager

Post by Jager »

Great work Jean. I'm also liking the black car - reminds me of an Alfa 8C 2900 I saw once.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:04 pm
Clever windscreen idea!
Yes, I know what you mean... Black models always inhibit all details and in the showcase there's only a "black hole" as if there wasn't any model at all :? But the classic "Snow White" look, painting black like ebony, interior red like blood, tyres white like snow, will be quite elegant, I suppose... :)
reeft1 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:53 am
Looking good
Thank you :P
Paulius43 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:31 am
Gorgeous cars look good in any colour! :lol:

Is it me or I get a feeling that every time your projects are faster (shorter period from start to finish)? great work!
Thanks! Well, the last time I had much time to do model-building. In the near future the projects will take some more weeks, as usual. But of course I try to get ready, soon, as I will need another 23 years for completing my whole collection, and I don't know if I will be able to do all the work once I sit in a wheelchair and have a tremor :D
Jager wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:17 am
Great work Jean. I'm also liking the black car - reminds me of an Alfa 8C 2900 I saw once.
Thank you! Yes, the 8C with Touring coachwork is magnificent, too, although Alfa is not my favourite make... For any reason the French cars always attract my full attention :)

Interior floor for the black one.

Some first impressions from the outside...

Floor, windshield and dash are determining the next step: designing the door panels and bench.

I will keep the plastic part for the open hood, but will make an own p/e closed hood.

Still lots of parts missing... :)

Tom

Post by Tom »

They're nearing completion already! The models both look absolutely correct, love the stance and the perfect wire wheels. Amazing result already. Looking forward to the small details that give your models the artisan touch!

klubman01

Post by klubman01 »

They are both very nice indeed, but the black one looks fast even though it is standing still.

Jager

Post by Jager »

The black car looks even better with its windscreen surround. Possibly one of my favourites of all your cars for me.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:54 am
They're nearing completion already! The models both look absolutely correct, love the stance and the perfect wire wheels. Amazing result already. Looking forward to the small details that give your models the artisan touch!
...thanks, however, I guess you'll have to wait some time for the completion :) Honestly, I'm indeed proud of my self-made wire wheels. The standard ones made by BBR or any luxury maker usually have too heavy rims or too small hubs. And of course there will be plenty of details still to be made ;)
klubman01 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:03 pm
They are both very nice indeed, but the black one looks fast even though it is standing still.
I guess that's the secret of Monsieur Figoni! I love this design very much, too, as it features so reduced and elegant lines which result in such a "speed design" at the end. The "Figoni arrows" on the side panels make it looking so fast...
Jager wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:57 am
The black car looks even better with its windscreen surround. Possibly one of my favourites of all your cars for me.
Well, nice to hear! Of course the windshield completes the proportions of the car, and the frame will get some heavier pillar veneers for the sides. The interior has already started...
Alex_W wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:07 pm
Two nice ones JB.
Yep :D ! It's so sad that from some classic brands there are only so few white-metal models. For Delahaye it's indeed only the Ixo 165, this old Solido - and that's all :( It's the same as for Hispano or even Voisin. I wish Brooklin would make more than only American and British cars. They indeed recently started with Alfa Romeo, but I guess that's only because the new owner of Brooklin is Italian... :D

Going ahead with the interior parts.

Door panels fo both cars.

Window frames fit perfectly!

Tom

Post by Tom »

They do indeed, as do those superb door panels!

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Kind of late to the party here Jean, but wanted to comment that you do beautiful, masterful work!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com