Talbot-Lago T150CSS Pourtout by Idea3

Jean B.

Talbot-Lago T150CSS Pourtout by Idea3

Post by Jean B. »

No time to rest, now I want to complete the Talbot-Lago subject of my collection which was only interrupted to make all Figoni designs in line. Still missing is the wonderful T150 bodied by Marcel Pourtout. Similar to the well-known teardrop by Figoni, the Pourtout design is somewhat more "radical", not as "light" as the Figoni design. It shows wonderful proportions and was built four times between 1939 and 1944. Three of them seem to have survived, one in its original livery, but changed into a racing car shortly after WWII. However, this one is the role model for my built, as we can see the original paint and interior colours which are widely unknown for the other three cars.

Simply beautiful!

More "edgy" compared to the Figoni teardrop.

Idea3 made some interesting models, however, in a rather poor quality...

Don't know why, but I always love old packagings, paper bags, tags etc. :oops:

Who might reside there nowadays...

Paper bag from November 1974?

Baseplate with fixed wheels :shock: Nooo...

The back of the car is most difficult: Idea3 made it rectangular and too long...

Model...

...and real car.

Let's start with the lobotomy!

Already much better!

Soldering the remainings together.

Making a new baseplate with perfectly balanced axles.

From sketch to completed part.

Making the stance of a model is always a very delicate work. The original models are crooked in any direction...

Almost impossible to achieve 100%, but...

...I guess it's working this way :)

Tom

Re: Talbot-Lago T150CSS Pourtout by Idea3

Post by Tom »

Yet another ambitious build given that the kit seems to be of an altogether different car. Are you sure that it's not intended as a Beetle?
Anyway, gorgeous car and another project I'll follow closely.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

This should be another education for me.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Looking forward to see what you do with all those louvres Jean ;) .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Looking forward in anticipation as you work through this project. I am sure it will be a beautiful model of a beautiful car! :D

BertOne

Post by BertOne »

I was hoping you'd have a go at this car; didn't know it had ever been modelled. :o

gilma

Post by gilma »

Another great subject, looking forward to seeing that 8-)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:13 pm
Yet another ambitious build given that the kit seems to be of an altogether different car. Are you sure that it's not intended as a Beetle?
Anyway, gorgeous car and another project I'll follow closely.
Beetle? :lol: Must be the angle of the photograph... besides: perhaps I already made such huge mistakes that I should make a Beetle out of this model, rather than a Talbot-Lago :D
reeft1 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:11 am
This should be another education for me.
Feel invited :P
Jager wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:56 am
Looking forward to see what you do with all those louvres Jean ;) .
Looking for a magic spell to let them vanish ;)
oldirish33 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:46 pm
Looking forward in anticipation as you work through this project. I am sure it will be a beautiful model of a beautiful car! :D
I really hope so! I love this design very much...
BertOne wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:45 am
I was hoping you'd have a go at this car; didn't know it had ever been modelled. :o
This is a page of a vintage Idea3 catalogue, the Pourtout Talbot is bottom line on the right:

gilma wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:23 am
Another great subject, looking forward to seeing that 8-)
...and so do I :)

Let the show begin: new fender silhouttes to be soldered to the remaining body.

...and the cut-off fenders to the silhouettes.

Lots of putty, lots of grinding, filing, sanding later...

Front fenders come into shape.

Making a completely new tail: New fender lines, new bottom edge, raised hood, new rear windows, fin added.

Rear window still needs a lot of work...

Fenders are all done.

Quite a difference compared to the original, at least... :)

Tom

Post by Tom »

Wow! The original kit looked nothing like this, that's quite a radical rework!

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Quite the transformation! I was curious if you plan to make PE door handles, or leave the molded ones?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:37 pm
Wow! The original kit looked nothing like this, that's quite a radical rework!
Indeed... :roll: You know, after the two "radical" Delahayes, I was sure that this time the rebuild would be quite easy, as I stick with the original car resp. model. In fact, this does not matter anyway if you rebuild any single detail, like wings, bonnet, doors, tail etc. Making everything completely new takes always the same time, no matter whether you convert the model into something different or keeping the design. I only hope that I get the proportions anyway, it's really difficult with this Pourtout Talbot, as the lines are much more complex than it seems... :)
oldirish33 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:12 pm
Quite the transformation! I was curious if you plan to make PE door handles, or leave the molded ones?
No chance of leaving the original ones :D I don't like those moulded parts, they always disturb the painting & polishing. But I know, you have always viewed the baroque shape of the handles, and it will be quite difficult to make those new. Let me sleep some nights over that, I hope I will find an answer... ;)

Making the rear wheel covers.

The result.

The cutouts for the side windows must be a little bit smaller, so I soldered them.

Honing down the excess solder.

Templates for the door outlines.

Positioning the templates.

The bonnet must be raised. Applying polyester putty and sliding a ruler over to get a symmetic and even surface.

Of course the correct angle has to be fixed in advance.

The overall shape slowly comes out.

Designing the bonnet including louvers and the windshield.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

I admire you taking it on. It is quite the undertaking and know from what little modeling skill I have, how massive that undertaking is! I will be interested to see what your solution is to the door handles (boot as well?). I know it will be the right one. :D

Tom

Post by Tom »

Looks like you've got the basic shape spot on now! Tough job, that is easy to see.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

oldirish33 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:12 pm
I admire you taking it on. It is quite the undertaking and know from what little modeling skill I have, how massive that undertaking is! I will be interested to see what your solution is to the door handles (boot as well?). I know it will be the right one. :D
Hope so :D "Learning by doing", you know... Indeed this built is much a bigger undertaking than I've thought it would be :roll: However, I love this design very much and therefore I'm trying to find the best solutions for every problem :)
Tom wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:16 pm
Looks like you've got the basic shape spot on now! Tough job, that is easy to see.
Very tough! First I planned to built this type two or three times, according to the original car, but as all cars are almost identical, it would have been almost impossible to achieve the exact same lines and proportions for more than one car. So I early decided to leave it with only one issue :)
gilma wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:25 am
Looking good so far 8-)
Thanks! And from now on it can only get better :P

Templates and louvers.

Enlarging the cutout for the windshield.

Mounting the p/e windshield frame, filling all contures around.

Making the belt-line again, more convex curved.

P/e louvers attached.

First coating with primer.

Still much to do...

Having filled and sanded all spots.

After second coating with primer...

...and after a third time, we slowly can imagine how...

...the beauty could look like :P

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Looking great

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks amazing, great shape and very smooth. I love this car, it looks fantastic.

David H

Post by David H »

So great! It's almost as much fun to closely look at your progress pictures as it would be to do the actual building (only if I had the talent!). Many, many thanks for sharing your work. I like it! David H

gilma

Post by gilma »

Perfect shape, looks fantastic.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

reeft1 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:41 pm
Looking great
Tom wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:43 pm
That looks amazing, great shape and very smooth. I love this car, it looks fantastic.
Thank you, yes indeed: fantastic design! Sometimes I think that Pourtout is a little bit underrated. Many people love the exaggerated Saoutchik designs or the famous Figonis, but Pourtout often made very reduced and strict lines with only few trim or decoration, but the more striking.
David H wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:30 pm
So great! It's almost as much fun to closely look at your progress pictures as it would be to do the actual building (only if I had the talent!). Many, many thanks for sharing your work. I like it! David H
Thank you so much! Just do it! My parents forced me into an office job as they considered me as having absolutely no talent for handworks :roll: And you have already shown lots of your talented works!
gilma wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:48 am
Perfect shape, looks fantastic.
Thanks, had been a hard work to get so far :) Meanwhile I know that I have to overcome the "third-day-feeling" of dumping a model and knitting a sweater instead :lol:

Time for the paintjob!

After an intermediate grinding...

...the model looks very much like the unrestored original, so that I think I have chosen the correct shade.

After varnishing and polishing...

...which was made in 9 steps with MicroMesh from 2400 up to 12000 and liquid wax...

...we get a first impression of the car, as it might have looked like in its original condition.

The other three cars have a rather rectangle tail and no fin, that's why I've chosen exactly this one of the four cars produced.

Bad luck day: The chassis dropped off my fingers and one wheel is destroyed :evil: My advice: Never dring cheap bourbon! And the fun fact: when examining the damage, I found out that the opposite wheel has a wrong tyre :o , which I presumably had not discovered without this accident! And even funnier:

I have a complete spare wheel set of this type, as my original planning was different, so I can replace both front wheels quickly :D

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Nice job, as usual.

I drink only Maker's Mark.

I've been an Makers Mark ambassador since I met a guy who sold them the wax for their bottles. I gave him my card and a few weeks later I got a letter from the founders son and president of the company thanking me for my support. I get a nice gift from them every year at Christmas and there are (were, pre-covid) events around the country with food and tastings. Maker's 46 is especially good.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Happy accident with the wheels! It looks amazing, glad that you're back to gloss colours as they complement the shape.

BertOne

Post by BertOne »

The colour is spot-on. 8-)

Jager

Post by Jager »

Looks amazing Jean, though a little part of me would like to see you produce the unrestored car just for something different :D .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen