Tatra 77a by Auto Replicas

Jean B.

Tatra 77a by Auto Replicas

Post by Jean B. »

No time to waste! Life goes on, and my Aero 50 needs some companions from the Czech Republic. Hidden behind the "iron curtain" for decades, Czech originally was the heart of continental Europe, for almost centuries belonging to the Austrian Empire and in the early 20th century featuring a leading role concerning Art Déco and functionalism design. No wonder that they had some very attractive and modernistic cars at that time, the best-known today the gorgeous Tatra 77/77a, which was a cruise-ship rather than a road car.

Huge dimensions, a smooth V8 rear engine (which could be pulled out on a tray for service works), seat benches which could be turned into a double bed, luxurious details like a radio, elegant interior design, disc wheels, a cyclop headlight and - at least at the beginning - a central steering wheel made this car an extremely smooth and powerful long-distance liner.

Starting with an original Auto Replicas model. A little bit rough, but charming.

Absolutely complete and original :shock:

Original decals.

Plastic bags never opened before.

Original paperwork of that era!

Extensive description of the car and building instructions in all languages!

...and in pictures for those who don't speak a European language ;)

Incredible: An excerpt of the original colour tableau of that era!

We may assume that the kit was produced in 1974 :!: and stayed unopened since then :o Perhaps ridiculous, but in such cases I really feel like an archaeologist :oops:

Ooops, a second one :?:

...and a third one, already grown up :D

Nicely built, however, a little bit "rustic".

Auto Replicas made the second series, named "77a". The first one "77" only had two headlights in the center of the front hood.

And - only for comparison - the Ixo/Altaya model of this car. Much more exact, but...

...much smaller and light-weight and for me lacking the specific charms of old white-metals... can't help it.

Fun facts: sometimes all small parts were nickle-plated, sometimes the interior parts were left bare.

Disassembling the built one.

And the popular acetone bath.

Another fun fact: One of the kits is marked "BKL", the other isn't.

The first problem: The whole www says that the 1st series had a shorter wheelbase of 315 cm, the 2nd series a longer one of 325 cm. Actually, both types feature exactly the same body, with the very same measurements and distances all over the complete design. It's absolutely impossible that they had different wheelbases. I meanwhile suppose that the "0" series of prototypes had a different wheelbase, but the production cars had the same body and wheelbase.

Furthermore, after additional research, different sources tell at least four (!) different wheelbases and lengths of the car. The original Tatra brochure of 1938 indicates a wheelbase and a total length which are absolutely impossible going together! So there's no way to find out the really true measurements of this car, I fear. Finally I choose the "medium" measurements, as they indeed correspond to the Auto Replicas model assuming a scale of 1/43. Only the rear wheels have to relocated by some mm.

So, what doing with three models :?: First, the classic limousine with four doors, and in this case showing an attractive two-tone painting scheme.

Second: a weird two-door version, obviously a one-off, probably made for Mr Ledwinka, the famous constructor of Tatra for decades.

And third: hard to believe, but true, a four-door convertible, based on the type 77. This is the original patent drawing by Tatra, proposing a complicated opening mechanism of the hood. This graphic is reported in the fine book "Stromlinienautos in Europa". Unfortunately the sketch is very rough and I don't know yet how to realize this in a 3D model...

To be continued :P

Tom

Re: Tatra 77a by Auto Replicas

Post by Tom »

What a cool car! Had I known of the Ixo version, that would've long ago been added to my collection... looking forward to the build!

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Great introduction to this build. Model building obviously pays well - google “Sandbanks Poole”. One of the most expensive housing areas in the UK.

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac »

Tom wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:45 pm
What a cool car! Had I known of the Ixo version, that would've long ago been added to my collection... looking forward to the build!
Agreed, Tom. Looking forward to the build, too.

I have two examples of the Ixo version of the 77, one in black, the other in a nice deep red. Looks terrific from so many different angles.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:45 pm
Feel invited :P And if you are in need of the Ixo model, there's one available, as it seems ;)
reeft1 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:36 am
Great introduction to this build. Model building obviously pays well - google “Sandbanks Poole”. One of the most expensive housing areas in the UK.
Funny :D But remember, this is 47 years ago. On the other hand, sometimes I guess you can only deal with white-metal model business when having enough petty cash... 8-)
Ozmac wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:05 pm
Agreed, Tom. Looking forward to the build, too.

I have two examples of the Ixo version of the 77, one in black, the other in a nice deep red. Looks terrific from so many different angles.
Indeed, fantastic modernism, and - very seldom - in a really practicable way. A pity that all the subsequent Tatras were neglected by the Western European countries, later.

At the moment works go slowly, as I have to deal with some "family business", requiring much time... :roll:

Starting with the wheels: The original Auto Replicas wheels are much too big, though they have a nice shape and proper tyres. So I am forced to make disc wheels, and so I turned a nice master out of resine. Unfortunately, casting such shape with a "standing" outline rim is almost impossible :evil: What can I do?

Well, putting the metal-casted discs on a drill and turning the outline rime down (left). Then making separate rings from soft 1.0mm aluminium wire to an exactly fitting diameter (center; terrible work!), and finally glueing this ring onto the rim (right).

I've sprayed a master, just to see if this "technique" :oops: would work, and - honestly - I'm quite satisfied :)

Depth, diameter and general appeal are nice, but please don't ask how many single working steps are necessary to achieve this result. And then doing this a dozen times... :?

Tom

Post by Tom »

That is amazing! Love it already, very creative.

BertOne

Post by BertOne »

Interesting. Can't wait for the cabriolet - with fully operating roof of course. :shock:

David H

Post by David H »

Your fine commentary and the great model are together making this one of the finest posts in a long time. Great! I look forward to the continuation.
David H

gilma

Post by gilma »

Looking forward to that, been a while since we had a trio, wonderful 8-)

Jager

Post by Jager »

I don't know a lot about Tatra, but I'm enjoying the learning experience here.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

You can guarantee that these rare 1:1 Tatra will always draw a crowd at UK Concours/Classic car shows. Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:57 pm
That is amazing! Love it already, very creative.
...and it's a "heavy one", too :) The Auto Replicas model weighs half a ton, so it seems in your hand...
BertOne wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:55 am
Interesting. Can't wait for the cabriolet - with fully operating roof of course. :shock:
You can make your choice whether the roof should be operated manually or automatically :D
David H wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:49 pm
Your fine commentary and the great model are together making this one of the finest posts in a long time. Great! I look forward to the continuation.
David H
Feel invited :P I always love to share my work - there are so few people around here in my life understanding what I'm doing ;)
gilma wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:40 am
Looking forward to that, been a while since we had a trio, wonderful 8-)
That's right, I guess there are some "triples" still to build in my collection.
Jager wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:05 am
I don't know a lot about Tatra, but I'm enjoying the learning experience here.
Great to hearing that! As I already wrote, Czech, Hungary, Romania etc. were once the center of Europe, German-speaking and belonging to the old Austrian-Hungarian Empire. Countless artists, engineers, authors, musicians of these countries were prominent (and are still). Especially Hungary, Czech(oslovakia) and Poland never felt happy with their forced union with the Soviets and were the first to tear down their walls... but that's another story.
GBOAC002 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:15 am
You can guarantee that these rare 1:1 Tatra will always draw a crowd at UK Concours/Classic car shows. Looking forward to seeing the finished model.
As I know, the British love weird cars ;) Unfortunately I've never seen one in Berlin or Germany, but I would love to.... :roll:

All wheels completed (except the center cones).

The extended wheelbase requires much conversions with the baseplate.

The front ends were soldered and with a new hole fitted to the body.

One step earlier.

First p/e parts. Making a kind of "skeleton" for getting exact dimensions for wheelbase and track width.

This way I can keep the original baseplate, but also have proper dimensions.

Brass tubes will hold the axles.

All wheels touching the ground :D

Here we can see the changed proportions with the rear wheels pushed backwards.

The baseplates must get a good hold to the body. With only two screws in the center line, the baseplate doesn't sit tight.

First making a postament to get a proper stance.

Fresh metal putty into the four corners, and the the body pressed to the baseplate.

Now everything sits tight and proper!

The formerly build one shows the worst casting of the three issues :?

Removing the reard inside wall, as I like to make one with windows.

Starting to design the side panels.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Clever use of PE to locate the axles! I guess the LWB version will require re-scribing the contours of the rear spats too.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Yes, all rear spats will have to be re-done :) , but that's not so difficult. Much more difficult are the next steps: giving the front fenders a new cut-out and then making the interior door panels fit to the body.

First making paper templates, transferred from scaled-down photos of the original car.

Making the doors will be extremely difficult: I've never made this before, a closed 4-door car with thin chrome frames around every window pane. That requires a lot of engineering "how-to" and is terribly to made with such a "paper-weight" chunk of white-metal. Cross your fingers, guys... :roll:

An easier step first: soldering the front fenders, as the cutouts were too wide (according to the too-big wheels...).

Scribing the new outlines.

Better!

Crazy: The three models are made with the same mould, nevertheless all three issues have completely different front wings :shock: longer, shorter, wider, higher... This will take some time to make them a little bit more likely to each other, I guess...

Gentlemen, for a couple of weeks I will pause this thread :( , due to some "family affairs" to get along with (nothing serious). I'll make a call when things are going on, see you later :P

Tom

Post by Tom »

Good luck! Looking forward to the rest, what you've done so far looks great!