Aero 50 Sodomka made by MIVA

Jean B.

Aero 50 Sodomka made by MIVA

Post by Jean B. »

For already two weeks I'm working on this one, but it seems that I'm a little bit late with showing it, sorry :oops: A couple of years ago I found this model of the Czech mid-class car Aero 50 with coachwork by Sodomka, who also made magnificent modernistic bodies for Walter, another Czech car manufacturer.

MIVA seems to had made only two models, both very rare to find. When I had the chance to grab this one two or three years ago, I paid a fortune for it, almost the most expensive model in my collection :o . A couple of months ago, when browsing the www, I found out that meanwhile another company re-issued exactly the same model, now available for an "apple and an egg", as we say in Germany. So this may be the biggest loss in my model-building career, hopefully...

However, it's a nicely made model, although with some minor and bigger issues. Easy to disassemble...

...and to strip.

The design is very obvious inspired by the Geo Ham roadster mady by Figoni on Delahaye, so Geo Ham should have sued Sodomka, as well...

The model was stored in a solid plastic box on the floor, it definitely never dropped down or was crashed, but when unwrapping it, one of the bumpers was broken :evil: This confirms that nickle-plated white-metal parts are extremely fragile and break even when looking sharply :roll:

With the help of acupuncture needles stuck into 0.3mm holes drilled horizontally into the bumper remainings, it could be repaired.

I'd like to have an alternating open hood, so I use metal putty, pressed into the surrounding.

Grinded down.

New p/e parts.

Meanwhile the complete tail is lowered by a millimetre. Sodomka built at least seven of these cars, all differring from each other in many details. When examining the photos, I discovered that there were some with "short nose & short tail" and some with "long nose & long tail". Unfortunately MIVA combined "long nose" with "short tail", so I try to pass over that issue without converting the whole model.

The hood looks neat, but it's too narrow, the rear window is too big.

Can't help it: cutting the hood in pieces.

"Spreading the wings" and applying tons of putty, the hood now is wide enough.

The windshield is already renewed with a p/e frame, and the new top is made fitting.

Much better.

Making a new rear window.

Ready. This seems to have been the biggest work on this model...

More p/e parts.

Original and new triangle window.

Actually I wanted to keep the original wheels, they are nicely made. But they are much too deep, the tyres are too small...

So I made a complete new wheel :)

By the way, here are some photos of the original car.

First coating with primer is made.

To be continued! :P

Tom

Re: Aero 50 Sodomka made by MIVA

Post by Tom »

I though 'that looks nice, I'd be happy with the model as-is' but then I realised that you could take this to another level altogether...

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:12 pm
I though 'that looks nice, I'd be happy with the model as-is' but then I realised that you could take this to another level altogether...
Well, I regard this as a rather "small build", if you know what I mean. The model is quite nice, similar to Brooklin models of the 1990s. Many details are not correct, but the model is "too good" for converting everything into something new or different. So I simply try to make a "nice" model - this time ;)

The new wheels (I couldn't resist, the original ones were too thick, the tyres too small, and to fix this would have been much more complicated than making new ones :) )

Windows are ready.

Painting job is done! It took some time, as the necessary paint was not available, and due to some personal distractions, too. However, I'm quite happy with "nightblue". The original car might had been painted black, as it was presumably used by some diplomatic service. But I don't like black model cars that much, as they simply "disappear" in the showcase, and so I decided that a dark, but vibrant blue comes close to the original, but is something "special", though.

The LED light makes it look simply "dark blue", I hope that future photos will reveal the very decent violet hue of this paint.

Chassis is completed.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I'd have made the same decision for the colour, this looks great. Also love your wheels.

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 »

Some of the last pics indeed show a hint of purple on the paint. Gorgeous!
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

gilma

Post by gilma »

The color looks great, and looks very good on the model. Another impressive build.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:21 pm
I'd have made the same decision for the colour, this looks great. Also love your wheels.
Thank you :P Most of the Aero websites say that there were five cars of this type, but when I examined the complete www :roll: I found out that there must had been at least seven different cars, maybe eight. Nevertheless, all pictures are black & white... I always think that I'm very creative, though I find it very difficult to decide for a certain colour scheme :)
Paulius43 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:46 am
Some of the last pics indeed show a hint of purple on the paint. Gorgeous!
Thanks! Well, I'm not that happy with the photos... Below you can find the latest ones taken with natural daylight, without any filters, but they do not show this special hue of the colour :( Must be a lack of my camera set, as it seems...
gilma wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:29 pm
The color looks great, and looks very good on the model. Another impressive build.
Thank you! At least it has become a nice model, being the (almost) most expensive one of my collection :roll:

Final assembly of the trim.

Completely new headlights.

Ready!

And now, the final photo session:

A pity that MIVA combined the short tail of one, and the long nose of the other series of cars they made...

However, a unique car of that time!

The car indeed had a radio device, quite a luxury for a rather small car of the 1930s :o

The small Czech flags possibly indicate that the car may had been used by a diplomat or member of the government.

Same door handles as used for the BMW 327/328! The Sodomka badge on the door may be a little bit too large, but I could not resist to make it with complete writings :oops:

The hexagonal headlights are possibly the same as used on the Opel Kapitän of 1938, at least very similar.

The re-edition of the model has both, a closed hood and a tarpeaux, for my first edition I had to create the optional tarpeaux myself...

Most of the interior parts are original, of course the steering wheel is new, the radio and the loudspeaker.

Copy and original.

The Aero 50 by Sodomka was not the only imitation of the Geo Ham/Figoni roadster. The incredible Hartmann Cadillac V16 (recently perfectly restored!) is another adaptation.

And - finally - another (small) subject of my collection is completed: "Carènée". A fascinating French fashion which was completely frowned upon in England, for example :D

I simply love it :P

These are all cars of my collection showing this feature.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Fantastic result as usual, and an amazing collection of unique models!

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

Gorgeous!

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Top shelf stuff!

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Brilliant work Jean. What a line up!

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 »

Absolutely stunning! Great shots, and the family photos is just awesome! My kind of cars 8-)
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

David H

Post by David H »

Well done! Many thanks for sharing your treasures through these fine photos. David H

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:50 pm
Fantastic result as usual, and an amazing collection of unique models!
Thank you! I wish there were more of those "carènée" models, but I'm very happy that I have these six. When I was a child I went nuts when such a car appeared in any cartoon or magazine... :lol:
GBOAC002 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 2:23 pm
Gorgeous!
Alex_W wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:53 pm
Top shelf stuff!
Of course she immediately found her new home, see below :D
reeft1 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:15 am
Brilliant work Jean. What a line up!
Happy to hearing that! Very slowly I have enough models to arrange different subjects, and I guess that's what every collector and model-builder aims for... :)
Paulius43 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 3:00 pm
Absolutely stunning! Great shots, and the family photos is just awesome! My kind of cars 8-)
...and mine :!: Figoni continued after WWII with this type, but for me all the post-war creations lack the elegance and lavishness of the 30s designs. They mostly look like "Daisy Duck vehicles" rather than real "créations", don't they?
David H wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 7:14 am
Well done! Many thanks for sharing your treasures through these fine photos. David H
It's always a pleasure for me, too! Where else could I find fellows enjoying such a weird hobby :D

Still raining in Berlin ;)

Tom

Post by Tom »

As it is here, but luckily I managed my bike commute almost dry.....

The model looks amazing in your display.

gilma

Post by gilma »

It looks excellent, I love the front - it reminds me of the 40's Buicks, zephyrs etc.
Great group shots - for me that is the best, seeing all the group together, beautiful!

Jager

Post by Jager »

The interior is the standout for me Jean. It almost looks like the radio would work.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:46 pm
As it is here, but luckily I managed my bike commute almost dry.....

The model looks amazing in your display.
Thank you :P Weather is better now, but like in a sauna: day and night almost the same warm temperature, and rain every 24 h... :roll:
gilma wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:35 am
It looks excellent, I love the front - it reminds me of the 40's Buicks, zephyrs etc.
Great group shots - for me that is the best, seeing all the group together, beautiful!
Thanks! Yes, that's Figoni combined with U.S. power :) The American style was popular in Europe at that time. Think of the last version of the Bugatti T57 Galibier; could be a Buick, as well :D
Jager wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:40 am
The interior is the standout for me Jean. It almost looks like the radio would work.
Who says it would not? :lol:

David H

Post by David H »

Magnificent! Jeane B, I had just about given up on this site, but your fine project and its presentation have renewed my interests. Many, many thanks for sharing your fine work. While I confess to a little envy of your skills, I can only admire the results. Well done!
David H

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

David H wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:45 pm
Magnificent! Jeane B, I had just about given up on this site, but your fine project and its presentation have renewed my interests. Many, many thanks for sharing your fine work. While I confess to a little envy of your skills, I can only admire the results. Well done!
David H
Given up on this site? Do I get you right, you thought of leaving us :?: Please do not :!: I'm not the only one here who always loves your photos and your very special models. Please share all this with us in the future, too, will you :P And thanks for your kind words! It's like playing an instrument: 10% is talent, but 90% hard work :D

Oh my gosh, this is blurry, isn't it ... :oops:

Tom

Post by Tom »

Love the colourful result!