Johnny Lightning MAGNAs '71 Mustang Boss 351

David H

Johnny Lightning MAGNAs '71 Mustang Boss 351

Post by David H »

Okay, I'm looking at it, still in its packaging, Johnny Lightning's MAGNAs '71 Mustang Boss 351. JL on the back of the package says it is 1/43, described as "the collector's dream." This is just one model in a whole series. Here's mine:
IMG_3250.JPG[attachment=1]IMG_3250.JPG
Right now I can sell it for about what I paid for it. If I take it out of the package, it falls at least 50%. Here's my question: Is this model good enough to keep, is it really that much better than any other Mustang model?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex_W

Re: Johnny Lightning MAGNAs '71 Mustang Boss 351

Post by Alex_W »

It's a piece of crap. But, being the generous guy that I am I'll allow you to send it to me so you won't be embarrassed by owning it. I'll even cover the postage. ;)

Tom

Post by Tom »

I don't think anyone else has done this exact car in 1:43. That might be what makes it valuable to Mustang collectors. As for the model, I don't know about its quality but if you can sell it well you might want to look out for a cheaper replacement.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Here's a sealed version in the USA at $4.99 with no bids and only 2 days to go. At that price, you could buy one to open and keep one sealed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185169791277
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

David H

Post by David H »

Here's a good comment in MODEL AUTO REVIEW, from a few months ago

MAGMAS! 5TH MARCH 2021 By Karl Schnelle

Ever since Frank wrote about his 1968 Camaro in MAR Online, I have been meaning to fill in the story of these 1:43 Magmas. They were made by Johnny Lightning when they were owned by Playing Mantis. On the back of the blisterpacks, the copyright date is 1999 on the ones I have. They were all identified by name on the black plastic base on which they were attached in the blisterpack. Because they are much larger than the typical 1:64 scale Johnny Lightnings, I think collectors have ignored them, and I can find out nothing online about them. However, many are still for sale online on the secondary market.

The back of the blisterpack lists five 1960’s muscle cars plus a strange mix of three other vehicles. These were meant for the US market and sold in the typical large box stores at the turn of the century. Something happened in the late 1990s in the US – I am not sure why or how it started – but there was a large selection of 1:43 muscle cars for sale next to all the typical Matchboxes and Hot Wheels. All were from US-based companies. I was amazed back then and bought a few of each: Johnny Lightning Magmas, Hot Wheels Collectibles, Road Champs (Road Champions), and ERTL American Muscle. Before long, they were gone from the store aisles, so I never did buy the rest of them. I assume they did not sell as well as the 1:64s so they were soon discontinued. Too bad for an American 1:43 collector like me…

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

I have this one in green, but I have also seen them in teal (or light blue). This is the same casting that Frank showed in his MAR Online article. The first generation Camaro had a wheelbase of 108 in. so this model comes out exactly 1:43rd scale. Some online commenters have thought the Magmas were smaller than 1:43.

All the Magmas have a heavy diecast body with a very shiny chrome baseplate. All the hoods open to reveal good engine detail. The wheels are chrome Cragar-type wheels and the tires non-descript hard plastic. Chrome details are nicely printed on so the only let-down may be the tires.

1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351

The blue Boss 351 came with silver stripes, hood, and large front and rear spoilers; the rear glass on this fastback had the black louvers. Very early ’70s cool! Ford called it a SportsRoof body style, my favorite style of Mustang when I was a kid. The wheelbase was an inch longer than the Camaro so Johnny Lightning got it right again at 1:43 scale!
***************************************************************************************************************************************

That last line "So Johnny Lightning got it right again at 1:43 scale!" convinced me. This Mustang is going into my collection. I may even look around from the Camaro.

David H

Post by David H »

And here it is! Fresh out of its packaging. . .
[/attachment]
IMG_3290.JPG
IMG_3285.JPG
I think I may look further into these Johnny Lightning MAGMAs. . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Nice, certainly different from other '71s in 1:43.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

I remember seeing these in the store but was not into 1:43 at the time.

I always like the plastic bumper version of this Mustang and was lucky to buy this Premium X for $15 last year at the end of year sale.

Jeff

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall »

JSB33 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:10 am
I remember seeing these in the store but was not into 1:43 at the time.

I always like the plastic bumper version of this Mustang and was lucky to buy this Premium X for $15 last year at the end of year sale.

Where is that $15 dollar sale this year? They're showing 30% off...not bad but not great either! By the way, Happy Thanksgiving Jeff :D
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

David H

Post by David H »

Thanks for the good pictures of the blue version, gentlemen. While I prefer the black/silver, this one looks good too. I think the front spoiler down below looks better, or at least less obtrusive, on yours. Keep 'em coming! David