Tatra 77a by Auto Replicas

GBOAC002

Re: Tatra 77a by Auto Replicas

Post by GBOAC002 »

What a curse! Let's hope it heals soon, and 2022 brings better luck and completion of the Tatras.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:02 am
They look almost done, but I'm sure that your finishing touches will make them look even better. Amazing work, love them all.
...and finally we're approching the finish line... :D
reeft1 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:11 am
Looking very impressive
Tom wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:52 am
Sorry to hear that, get well soon! Merry Christmas to you too.
GBOAC002 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:41 am
What a curse! Let's hope it heals soon, and 2022 brings better luck and completion of the Tatras.
reeft1 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:31 pm
Wishing you a speedy recovery
Thank you very much for your kind wishes! Seems they get fulfilled: for a couple of days I'm training my finger, and very slowly I get used to all daily works, again, and also model-building. The finger is still a little stiff, and the doctor says it will take up to six months until total recovery, but I'm glad that I can maintain an almost normal life now, thanks God :P

So here are the latest photos, some of the time before my accident, some from the past days:

Headlights are completed.

Of course I want to make a "top-up" and "top-down" solution for the convertible. For that reason I first attach thin brass tubes to have a holding system for the roof parts.

The cut-out roof of the original model should be converted into the closed soft-top.

Cutting into shape: look at the massive thickness of the complete model as Auto Replicas did it back in 1974 :shock:

There's only one single rough patent sketch of how a convertible would have looked like, and there it is shown that it was intended to get a two-part roof, allowing an air intake for the air-cooled rear engine. So I first make a paper template.

The white-metal roof must get side parts, also first simulated with a paper cutout.

The last :!: p/e parts for this project :D

The two-door sedan, receiving it's rear lights, reveals to be the first fully completed model of this project.

From back to front: first hand cutout in metal for the rear roof, designed paper template, etched part already punched into shape.

Finished large roof before painting.

The opened roof part looks quite weird, however, it was quite an effort designing and building it! Wait until it's painted & mounted... ;)

Tom

Post by Tom »

Glad that you're back, because that means your finger is getting better and that I can get my weekly fix of your building progress. :D Excellent stuff, love the soft top construction.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Tom wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:47 pm
Glad that you're back, because that means your finger is getting better and that I can get my weekly fix of your building progress. :D Excellent stuff, love the soft top construction.
Thanks :P ... and I also need a weekly fix :lol: in form of an ergo therapy, slowly making my finger movable again. However, life's almost normal by now, and there are lots of kits to be build... :D

Gentlemen, that's been a long way, but finally, the Tatra project is finished :P Only seven months and three weeks were necessary, to turn three old paperweights of Auto Replicas into something neatly presentable, so lay back and enjoy:

Tom

Post by Tom »

It's hqrd to say what I like most about these, but it's safe to say that you've turned some semi-shapeless hunks of white metal into works of art. The colour choices are excellent, there are lots of details vying for your attention when you look at these. A feast for the eyes! One standout detail for me is your amazing wiper mechanism on the open car- truly a masterpiece of construction that's perfect in every detail.
Shame that it's so hard to see your fantastic interiors when the cars are assembled.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Wowzers- you have an amazing ability to turn a sows ear in to a silk purse. There is such a difference between a great build of a pony (cockney rhyming slang vernacular for pony and trap) base model versus a fundamental rebuild in to a top quality limited edition run resin range quality build - both are admirable but one requires a totally different skill level.

Kudos.

StevieSX

Post by StevieSX »

Legendary craftsmanship.

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 »

Wow, just wow!
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

jaxenro

Post by jaxenro »

Beautiful work

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

Stunning! No other word to describe it.

BertOne

Post by BertOne »

Amazing! The convertible in particular is a real stand out but all are stunning.

Lighters

Post by Lighters »

Absolutely breathtaking jewels. Perfection. Long live passionate artisans!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. »

Alex_W wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:16 pm
Excellent!
Thank you :P
Tom wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:11 pm
It's hqrd to say what I like most about these, but it's safe to say that you've turned some semi-shapeless hunks of white metal into works of art. The colour choices are excellent, there are lots of details vying for your attention when you look at these. A feast for the eyes! One standout detail for me is your amazing wiper mechanism on the open car- truly a masterpiece of construction that's perfect in every detail.
Shame that it's so hard to see your fantastic interiors when the cars are assembled.
Thanks a lot :) ! For the wipers I had to drill 0.5mm holes into the glass panes. That's a little bit tricky, but with a template and special dart drills it's indeed possible to make - as you see. And for the interiors: that's the point why I'm always taking photos and post them here, so the straight view will be kept forever ;)
reeft1 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:46 pm
Wowzers- you have an amazing ability to turn a sows ear in to a silk purse. There is such a difference between a great build of a pony (cockney rhyming slang vernacular for pony and trap) base model versus a fundamental rebuild in to a top quality limited edition run resin range quality build - both are admirable but one requires a totally different skill level.

Kudos.
Thank you so much! That's all the result when old men are bored... :D
StevieSX wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:17 pm
Legendary craftsmanship.
Nooo, :oops: , but thank you very much for that compliment!
Paulius43 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:04 pm
Wow, just wow!
...and thank you, just thank you :P
jaxenro wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:17 pm
Beautiful work
Thanks, and I'm curious for the beautiful kits you've presented here recently ;)
GBOAC002 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:07 am
Stunning! No other word to describe it.
Thank you! That's been the longest time I've spent for a project, almost eight months :roll: Believe me, at last I was simply happy to have them stowed in the showcase... :)
BertOne wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:49 pm
Amazing! The convertible in particular is a real stand out but all are stunning.
Thank you! It would have been a pity if the sketched convertible would never have appeared, after Mr Ledwinka had imagined this type. The following model, the Tatra 87, indeed had been built one time as a convertible, but with a single-part roof, not with that outstanding construction of two separate roofs.
Lighters wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:43 pm
Absolutely breathtaking jewels. Perfection. Long live passionate artisans!
Thanks! As I'm no artisan, I indeed hope so, too :P

Well, momentarily I have to fix some restorations, but of course a new project is already waiting on the cleaned and tidied workbench. Thank you all for your patience, and stay tuned ;)