Jaguar SS100 Roadster by Western Models

Jean B.

Jaguar SS100 Roadster by Western Models

Post by Jean B. » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:21 am

My summer vacation is near, and so I want to build a "smaller" model car to be ready just in time :) ! The Jaguar SS100 Roadster is one of the more simple models by WM. There's one original photo, reportedly a publicity photo by SS/Jaguar from 1937:

Wikipedia describes that the hood mascot was indeed designed in 1937, already in its second version, so I think I will have to make this detail, too, for my rebuilding... ;)

Model as I got it:

Disassembled and stripped:

"cleaned" underside:

The louvers are made quite exactly, but it's always difficult to work "around" and furthermore they are so very finely made that they are easily destroyed when sanding...:

...so I decided to make the bodywork "naked":

Doors newly scribed:

...bonnet as well:

Dashboard looks a little bit crude:

...getting rid of it:

Seats seem a little bit tooooo long, don't they?:

...but be careful when removing, there are holes under them:

...after filling the gaps with solder, the seat pans can be milled off:

I hate those "look-throughs" in the chassis:

...much better now, as well the exactly positioned and soldered axles:

To be continued... :D

Tom

Re: Jaguar SS100 Roadster by Western Models

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:30 am

Fantastic! From what I see, the original WM version is not that much better than my Models of Yesteryear... looking forward to what you can make of this.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:21 am

I was thinking the same thing Tom. I wondered if the Yesteryear was a more accurate starting point, but of course its not 1:43.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Yep me too. The original was terrible looking.
Steve

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:11 am

One of my favourite pre-war sports cars. Will follow this build with interest.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:29 am

That's right, the MOY was indeed one of the better Matchbox models, but - as you already mentioned - much too big! And in my opinion, the classic white-metal models are really better to build than the heavy-fixed Matchbox cars with the lots of plastic parts, so I decided for the WM :) .

The headlights unit is o.k.:

The radiator with its mesh was made very well by WM, I leave it almost as it is. The headlights were milled out and got lenses and steel mesh, as well as wire bezels around:

The folded hood includes a kind of persenning, but I want to have the luggage compartment open:

This calls for a shutter to hide the fixing screw:

And now the photo-etch designs are on my schedule... :D

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:46 am

Wow! Showing some skills there, Jean!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Batman wrote:Wow! Showing some skills there, Jean!
Always trying my best, Mr Wayne! ;)

Hope you don't think I'm lazy :oops: The simpler the model, the more photo-etch parts have to be designed, as it seems :? Meanwhile I should have made all necessary parts, and I hope I will etch the parts by the end of the week at the latest:

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:11 pm

Must be quite the puzzle to combine all those elements as efficiently as possible. You've mastered the art, clearly!

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:29 pm

Jean B. wrote:
Batman wrote:Wow! Showing some skills there, Jean!
Always trying my best, Mr Wayne! ;)

Hope you don't think I'm lazy :oops: The simpler the model, the more photo-etch parts have to be designed, as it seems :? Meanwhile I should have made all necessary parts, and I hope I will etch the parts by the end of the week at the latest:

It's Rollie, Bruce Wayne is no more. Didn't you see my movie, Dark Knight Rises? :roll: :lol:

Lazy? Not at all!!! It takes time to do it right! Right? Besides, we all have other things in life to do. Designing the photo-etched parts and then applying them must take a lot of time and patience.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:39 am

Tom wrote:Must be quite the puzzle to combine all those elements as efficiently as possible. You've mastered the art, clearly!
hmmm.... and after having done that perfectly, both for upper and lower film, I realized that I made the hubcaps too small :evil: and had to redo both films :evil: :evil: :evil: Today they let me out of the padded cell...
Batman wrote:It's Rollie, Bruce Wayne is no more. Didn't you see my movie, Dark Knight Rises? :roll: :lol:
And this was not Bruce Wayne anymore :o ??? You see, I'm more the Doris Day fan type :P

Etching was quite successful, although it was quite arduous (always learning new vocabulary with google :D ) this time to get through with this...:

New vents are mounted:

And window panes are fitted:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:01 pm

You're keeping the pace with this project! Looks great so far.

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:05 pm

This one's coming together quickly Jean.

Have you ever been tempted to produce a competition version of one of your models. Maybe the Jaguar is an option ?

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:22 pm

I am amazed with skills and patience to accomplish the build process and completion of your models!!! Bravo!!!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Jager wrote:This one's coming together quickly Jean.

Have you ever been tempted to produce a competition version of one of your models. Maybe the Jaguar is an option ?
I think competition cars are very attractive, but they don't match exactly the layout of my collection. I try to keep my collection "concentrated" on coachbuilt and/or luxury road cars from 1930 to 1939, for US cars up to 1942. I often wondered if I should collect all the gorgeous record cars by Western Models or other racing cars, but I feel that I would have to go deeply into the history of car races, and that's not my business, I suppose... ;)

Today I managed to build the windshield (yes, that nearly took all the day... :? ):

... and made some leaf springs, as the Jag is a little bit naked underneath:

They're made from brass strip and burnished.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:39 pm

Fantastic work on the windscreen, louvres and springs!

Jager

Post by Jager » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Jean B. wrote:I think competition cars are very attractive, but they don't match exactly the layout of my collection. I try to keep my collection "concentrated" on coachbuilt and/or luxury road cars from 1930 to 1939, for US cars up to 1942. I often wondered if I should collect all the gorgeous record cars by Western Models or other racing cars, but I feel that I would have to go deeply into the history of car races, and that's not my business, I suppose... ;)
That's what I sort of thought Jean. I admire your focus.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:16 pm

That photoetching blows me away every time i see it. Superb.

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:51 am

Jean B. wrote:
Hope you don't think I'm lazy :oops:
Lazy? My efforts amount to selecting a model, buying a model and opening the package!

I'm with you on the competition cars Jean. For me sticking numbers on a car just spoils the lines. I love the time period you model and always look forward to your updates.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Tom wrote:Fantastic work on the windscreen, louvres and springs!
And wait for the gimmick with the windscreen ;)
Jager wrote:That's what I sort of thought Jean. I admire your focus.
It's simply necessary - otherwise I would become a severely criminal... :mrgreen:
reeft1 wrote:That photoetching blows me away every time i see it. Superb.
Me, too ;) ! Thanks! It's really amazing what you can do with an actually simple technique - try it!
BertOne wrote:Lazy? My efforts amount to selecting a model, buying a model and opening the package!

I'm with you on the competition cars Jean. For me sticking numbers on a car just spoils the lines. I love the time period you model and always look forward to your updates.
Nice to hear :P ! Once in a time I will design a 1930s diorama for photographing - hope that'll be fun!

First layer of primer has been applied, just to show how everything turns out. The parts will then be sanded and retouched again and then sprayed a second time with primer:

Although I meanwhile decided to make wheels from scratch, I still have several ready-made wheel sets in my parts box, and so I'll take this time the last set of TinWizard wheels. Of course I add some photo-etched parts to make them unique ;):

The center pieces are made of brass, and as I - of course - need silver parts, I dunk them into liquid bright tin:

Voilà:

Finally the completed wheels:

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Outstanding. I followed your photo etching walk through with great interest. If thats an "easy" technique i'd hate you to do a difficult one!! :D

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:28 pm

reeft1 wrote:Outstanding. I followed your photo etching walk through with great interest. If thats an "easy" technique i'd hate you to do a difficult one!! :D
Well, that's the following point: The painting! I am still experimenting with different techniques, paintings and so on... To achieve an even, glossy, thin and covering layer is one - perhaps the most difficult step in model building :cry: Yesterday I tried all day long a way to make a really good metallic painting, and I really hope that it will work with the Jaguar!

After first priming and retouching, a second layer of primer had been applied:

The car shall get a silver painting, and I will use AlClad paint to get a really ultra-fine metallic effect. You know, our cars are a in 1/43, and so - actually - also the metallic particles should be minimized by 1/43... Normal metallic painting is much too coarse and spoils the impression. The next step now is to apply a glossy painting, matching the desired metallic colour, so I've chosen a light gray. This is only the first, very thin layer as a preparation for a second rich layer:

Furthermore I sprayed the black parts, not so very difficult :P :

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm

Painting is always a daunting phase, as you can ruin everything easily and repeated paint stripping damages the model too, so I've found. I used to practice on scrap models until I was happy enough, every time before I paint a model I start painting a dummy model to see how the colour works out, which primer to use etc. I haven't seen Allclad paints, interested to see how this works out. Too large metallic flecks are annoying indeed.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Tom wrote:Painting is always a daunting phase, as you can ruin everything easily and repeated paint stripping damages the model too, so I've found. I used to practice on scrap models ...
That's exactly the way I do it, too. Nevertheless, even then sometimes everything works on the scrap model, but fails at the "real" model... :cry: Anyway, today I airbrushed the second coating and I am quite satisfied with the result:

There are very small blemishes which I would sand and polish if the car should stay in gloss lacquer. The AlClad metallic paint shows the particularity that it doesn't stay fix if there is the slightest remaining of anything on the basis paint. Therefore I let the body now as it is, without touching or cleaning, and will spray on the metallic tomorrow. I already tested this on a scrap model, and if the basic paint is absolutely free of any remainings (even of wash benzine), it stays absolutely solid.

The interior already got its brown leather finish with matte paint, polished on seats and doors: