Marmon Sixteen by Brooklin

Tom

Re: Marmon Sixteen by Brooklin

Post by Tom » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:11 pm

Leaving stuff out would be my major problem too. This might get easier as you do more projects, but it requires looking at all parts and deciding what you want to replace by etched bits. Tough to see in advance, IMO.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:12 pm

Tom wrote:Leaving stuff out would be my major problem too. This might get easier as you do more projects, but it requires looking at all parts and deciding what you want to replace by etched bits. Tough to see in advance, IMO.
And you can replace almost anything by photo-etched parts :roll: I indeed had some ideas making base-plates and chassis for scratch-built models this way...

This time a photo-etched part serves only as a template for scribing an exact pattern of side-vents into the bonnet:

Steering wheels I meanwhile make generally with photo-etched parts. I think they get much finer this way and you can detail them according to the original:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:19 pm

The template is a nifty idea. Steering wheel is a huge upgrade, much more realistic like this.

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Tom wrote:The template is a nifty idea. Steering wheel is a huge upgrade, much more realistic like this.
...and yet I bet most of us here would have been perfectly happy with the original wheel.

superbird77

Post by superbird77 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Superb and interesting work. Count me in as a new follower. :)
Tomaz

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Tom wrote:The template is a nifty idea. Steering wheel is a huge upgrade, much more realistic like this.
In future I think I'll use more templates like this, because it's quite difficult to scribe lines into white-metal. No matter how carefully you work, the material is so soft that you easily slip away with the needle and sometimes it's impossible to correct the lines then...
BertOne wrote:...and yet I bet most of us here would have been perfectly happy with the original wheel.
I really considered to keep the original steering wheel because it's made really nice, but - well - when designing all the nickle-silver parts, one piece comes to another :)
superbird77 wrote:Superb and interesting work. Count me in as a new follower. :)
Thank you, I'm glad to welcome you! :P

First example of a ready-made wheel, front and back:

... and the spare wheels:

Construction for steering wheel, steering column and pedals (have a closer look):

Now all the parts are ready for priming:

Yet I don't know if I will do the painting with enamel paint like hitherto, or if I should change to acrylic paints. I bought a set of Vallejo Acrylic and made a first test with primer, but am not fully convinced... :|

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:22 pm

... and I've used again enamel painting :roll: ! The first tests I made with acrylic paint revealed a kind of "latex" layer, even if sprayed very, very thin. This looks a little "fat" and is nearly impossible to sand/file. I guess I'll continue with the tests, as it is very easy to work with acrylic paints, no smell and cleaning can be made with clear water.

However, first coating with enamel primer is done, and the bodywork looks quite tidy:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:52 pm

The body looks much sharper now. I like the pedal arrangement, quite unorthodox.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 pm

The first coat of primer always makes such a difference. I'm looking forward to seeing what colour you chose.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 am

Tom wrote:The body looks much sharper now. I like the pedal arrangement, quite unorthodox.
I simply tried to repeat the original arrangement, but I think it works:

Jager wrote:The first coat of primer always makes such a difference. I'm looking forward to seeing what colour you chose.
I love the "primed" models, I'm always tempted to keep them that way because in this condition you can recognize really any single detail and the full beauty of the design:

ImageNow with second coating. And tomorrow will be the great day spraying the first layer of the final lacquer. Hope you'll be surprised... ;)

thetrooper

Post by thetrooper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:02 am

As we've come to expect quality with your work and this one is right on the money. Also I like the primed look as well.
Steve

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:12 pm

thetrooper wrote:As we've come to expect quality with your work and this one is right on the money. Also I like the primed look as well.
Thank you, although - I have to admit that I don't understand fully English proverbs. :oops:

Main work for today - airbrushing the first coating of lacquer. And - tadaaa! - it's mauve (the shade of old ladies' hair :D ):

This first layer is very thin and therefore rough-surfaced. This way all edges stay covered when airbrushing, and the rough surface gives a good "grip" for the next (final?) layer.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Oops, seems as if I had put you all to flight with my colour choice... :oops: However, I'd like to show the progress of the Marmon. Today I've airbrushed the third and hopefully final layer of paint:

This should be enough for smoothing and polishing.

Some finished smaller parts:

And the interior door panels, one of them with glass window:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Looks great already, and I like your colour choice. Fits the car perfectly.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Tom wrote:Looks great already, and I like your colour choice. Fits the car perfectly.
Glad to hear your approval :P , you know: most of the classic cars show black, blue, white, red or silver, sometimes I'm tired of these "classic" colours. Especially when you study vintage brochures and watercolour sketches, which usually show the craziest colours...

The interior slowly comes together:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Excellent choice of interior colour to go with the exterior. All coming together nicely, as usual.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:33 am

Tom wrote:Excellent choice of interior colour to go with the exterior. All coming together nicely, as usual.
So happy to hear this from you! Unfortunately I'll have to pause for a couple of days. Today I've had a silly accident resulting in a broken nose and a torn upper lip :( I tried to sew it by myself, but the doctor disagreed :ugeek: And no, I've not tried to clean my nose with the drilling machine ;) As soon as my nose has a size which allows seeing something I'll be back at work, promised!

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:01 am

Ouch ! So sorry to hear that Jean.

A broken nose isn't trivial, but glad it wasn't anything more serious. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Tried to headbutt a car? :) Seriously, painful injury. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:14 pm

@Tom & Jager: Thanks for your good wishes! I guess it helped, today I've already felt better, my nose slowly gets its usual size again and the pain goes back :) So no time to waste, can't stay in bed but have to be back at my workbench 8-)

Dashboard is ready:

Spare wheels as well:

Bodywork has been polished:

Im not fully satisfied with the painting, the surface finish of the last models turned out quite better :( Well, in Germany we say You are not in it if you don't know why something went wrong ;)

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:18 pm

Will you do more polishing or try a repaint? It looks great in the pics, your skills haven't deteriorated... :lol:

stewil

Post by stewil » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:56 pm

The dash is stunning Jean and it appears you used a new technique, ie, the rings are more of a true bezel now.
Beautifully done. Kudos to you.

Am interested in how you correct the paint, looks to have a bit of an orange peel surface?
Also, how do you affix the wooden stick? to hold the model? Looks pretty solid.
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Tom wrote:Will you do more polishing or try a repaint? It looks great in the pics, your skills haven't deteriorated... :lol:
...at least I hope so! But no, NO repaint :evil: ! I'll leave it the way it is. I guess sometimes you simply have to go with it the way it is, haven't you? :)
stewil wrote:The dash is stunning Jean and it appears you used a new technique, ie, the rings are more of a true bezel now. Beautifully done. Kudos to you. Am interested in how you correct the paint, looks to have a bit of an orange peel surface? Also, how do you affix the wooden stick? to hold the model? Looks pretty solid.
Have a look at the pictures below, showing the car/paint under daylight. I simply leave it this way - not perfect, but still o.k.

The wooden stick is simply "screwed" into the screw-hole of the body. Of course this doesn't match all the time, sometimes the bodywork is too heavy, then I apply metal putty under the bonnet or the trunk, drill a hole into and glue the stick into the hole, cutting it off when being ready with painting.

The dashboard is - of course - photo-etched, painted and scratched through, this way you have one piece with accurate silver bezels. The gauges are made according to the following way. The original graphic for the dashboard is completed with gauges and printed onto overhead-projection foil, mirror-wise:

Then, onto the printed (then rear) side Tipp-Ex paper correction tape is applied:

This glued under the photo-etched part, and then you have a quite nice dashboard with "gauges under glass" ;)

And for today: the interior and ceiling is painted gray:

Image(photographed while the paint being fresh, have to hurry for preparing the dinner ;) )

(And I've made two photo-etched sheets for my next project, already.... :) )

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:33 pm

My screen doesn't show any flaws in the paintwork... looks great! Also, love the dash.