Cord L29 Boattail Speedster by MiniMarque 43

Jean B.

Re: Cord L29 Boattail Speedster by MiniMarque 43

Post by Jean B. » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:34 pm

I'm quite in a hurry, so only a first impression of the clear lacquer, and believe me: the red paint gains extremely with the clear coat :P

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Wonderful tutorial Jean. Im drawing a deep and nervous breath just reading it. Im tempted to try that Maskol suggestion as well!

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Wow. The clearcoat really brings out the colours... fantastic!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:26 am

reeft1 wrote:Wonderful tutorial Jean. Im drawing a deep and nervous breath just reading it. Im tempted to try that Maskol suggestion as well!
You're welcome :P ! Just get started, and if you need any help, please let me know!
Tom wrote:Wow. The clearcoat really brings out the colours... fantastic!
Amazing, isn't it? I have to admit, I was not sure whether my mixed colours would turn out the way I wanted them to do, but when I'm taking my model from house to workshop, the first spring sun touches the car and makes me sure that I made it the right way :D !

Three coats of clear lacquer were applied and a first polishing made, and it looks like this:

Some refinement still to be made, but I'm quite satisfied with this result... :)

The interior is ready now:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Excellent result!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Tom wrote:Excellent result!
Thank you! Nice to hear, especially as I felt so insecure about doing all this with this model. Today I couldn't work that much, at least a last (?) polishing was made and the interior and some first details were attached:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Looks great. Your louvres really add to the appearance.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Tom wrote:Looks great. Your louvres really add to the appearance.
Thanks, and meanwhile I have indeed a first idea how to make "open" louvres - we'll see when the next model with this feature is on the schedule :)

Slowly the pieces come together! Upper and lower halves were married, wheels are on place, grille, headlights, door handles and hinges as well:

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:05 pm

Wow. Fantastic, love it. It would have been great to see pictures of the original model next to your upgraded edition...

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:21 pm

That's coming together nicely Jean, especially now there are no gaps in the body.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

stewil

Post by stewil » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi Jean,
You said
Thanks, and meanwhile I have indeed a first idea how to make "open" louvres - we'll see when the next model with this feature is on the schedule :)
Here is a model with true open louvers. Might this be the type of solution you are considering?
The right fender shows the louvers but the top left shows them open. (both sides are open) One can see the tire through the vents but in this case the white surface below. This was done with slits cut into the supplied rectangular sheet of copper which was glued onto the fender cut out, and then all I had to do was prise them up into the open position. Wish I had an in progress shot. Thought you might be trying this with the Cord but believed it would be difficult with the curving shape of each. You came up with another solution entirely which looks great. Bravo! Looking forward to your next set of vents.

Close up view. Wish I had a picture from the back side to show the tire below the venting.

the finished model.
Cheers and Happy Collecting,
Steve

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:40 pm

WOW! Image
I'm not into cars of this era, but your work on the model made it absolutely beautiful! Friggintastic job!
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Tom wrote:Wow. Fantastic, love it. It would have been great to see pictures of the original model next to your upgraded edition...
Well, both together is hardly possible, but meanwhile I can plan the "big photo session" for Saturday, let's see if we can pair some photos of "before" and "after" for comparison... ;)
Jager wrote:That's coming together nicely Jean, especially now there are no gaps in the body.
You see, even at a "top model" you can improve some details :)
stewil wrote:Here is a model with true open louvers. Might this be the type of solution you are considering? The right fender shows the louvers but the top left shows them open. (both sides are open) One can see the tire through the vents but in this case the white surface below. This was done with slits cut into the supplied rectangular sheet of copper which was glued onto the fender cut out, and then all I had to do was prise them up into the open position. Wish I had an in progress shot. Thought you might be trying this with the Cord but believed it would be difficult with the curving shape of each. You came up with another solution entirely which looks great. Bravo! Looking forward to your next set of vents.
Thanks for the pictures! Could not study them carefully by now, but of course I will do so! Perhaps this is similar to the way I have in mind... However, when looking up my schedule for model building, I guess that the next ten or eleven models do not have "slot louvres", so that I can think over and plan and try before using any technique the next time :D
LUW wrote:WOW! Image
Thank you! And welcome here in the 1930s. Let's see if I can convert you into a classic car admirer... ;)

Light at the end of the tunnel: Slowly the last tiny details are attached, for today

... a new radiator cap with a small "hood ornament" (instead of the clumsy original one):

front bumpers:

...and windshield frame and bonnet hinge:

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Looking fabulous. Pure art.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:54 am

Tom wrote:Looking fabulous. Pure art.
Thanks, but I guess it's rather blood, sweat and toil than art (to quote good old Churchill) :)

However, mission accomplished, here's the preview:

Tomorrow I'll take the fine photos... :P

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Whenever I see your finished product Jean,I always enjoy looking back at the original picture you posted of the model before you commenced the upgrade. For anyone else who likes to do similar, here a comparison to save you the effort.

Before :

After :

Bravo !
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Wow! A huge improvement in so many ways... I really prefer your new colours over the old, they make the model.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Superb as always Jean

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Awesome! :o
-Julio-

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:32 am

Superb work Jean. You've gilded the lily and turned it into a beautiful swan! The louvres are a massive improvement. Model manufacturers should be taking note of your tehnique as the result is such a massive improvement over the cast in versions.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Tom wrote:Wow! A huge improvement in so many ways... I really prefer your new colours over the old, they make the model.
It's so much brighter, isn't it? The old fire red with the cream yellow simply didn't work together... But when mixing matte colours, you really have to consider the gloss finish in time, because it changes the dry matte paint once more.
reeft1 wrote:Superb as always Jean
Thank you! And believe me, I'm fascinated as well, I always cannot believe that it was me who made all this when looking at a ready model :oops:
DeadCanDanceR wrote:Awesome! :o
Thanks a lot! :P
BertOne wrote:Superb work Jean. You've gilded the lily and turned it into a beautiful swan! The louvres are a massive improvement. Model manufacturers should be taking note of your tehnique as the result is such a massive improvement over the cast in versions.
Thank you! For future models I won't think about making new louvres, but simply doing it. And there will be a way to make them open, too, I'm quite sure... ;)

Finally, Gentlemen, the big parade. This time it takes place in an unknown park :) . I have some plans for dioramas, especially for an Art-Déco showroom, but this will be something bigger and will surely take a couple of years to build... An easier version will be an "outdoor" diorama which I plan to make this year. Today I've made something very simple from some tinkering scrap I found on the attic... Be invited, relax and enjoy:

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Jean B. wrote: Image
Someone give this man the prize money. The rest of you can all go home. Image Image Image Image
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Fabulous! :o

And those photos with the Duesenberg are simply amazing! ;)
-Julio-

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:04 pm

My hat's off to you. Another fantastic creation.