Maybach SW38 Roadster by TinWizard

Tom

Re: Maybach SW38 Roadster by TinWizard

Post by Tom » Wed May 03, 2017 1:14 pm

It's great to see your mastery of the art evolve with every model. Excellent work.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri May 05, 2017 12:26 pm

Tom wrote:It's great to see your mastery of the art evolve with every model. Excellent work.
I remember starting photo-etching with the two Duesenberg "J", windshield and mascot, that was all! Meanwhile the Maybach needs the largest sheet I've made so far:

I really hope that everything works :) ! Of course I'm quite experienced meanwhile, but for photo-etching you always need some luck, as every single step (making the films, exposing, developing, etching) bears some danger... Tomorrow I'll do it, and of course I'll keep you informed ;)

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Fri May 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Aycarumba!! :shock:

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat May 06, 2017 1:29 pm

reeft1 wrote:Aycarumba!! :shock:
Looks more terrible than it is... you just need to be somewhat obsessive, and have some bourbon nearby ;)

Here we go: First the 0.1mm sheet with only a few parts

Have a look at the radiator mask, the holes are about 0.1mm:

When I grab the 0.2mm sheet, I didn't notice that one edge was not covered properly with the UV-lacquer, resulting in a completely burnt edge and destroyed parts in the upper row :( :

At least I'm very satisfied that the difficult parts, e.g. the beltlines, fit perfectly! :P

So I immediately started again, repeating only the failed parts and added some further for my diorama, and this time the result is perfect :oops: :

I guess this was much too much excitement for one day, I'll swallow up my pink pills and hope to have a silent night :lol:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat May 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Wow.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sat May 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Tom wrote:Wow.
Or better yet, Wow.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun May 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks for your "wows" - I have to admit, photo-etching is meanwhile one of my favourite works, it's really always the "wow"-effect when cleaning the sheet and holding all these tiny and accurate parts in your hands... :)

First I've made the new persenning a second time... :roll: I wasn't fully satisfied, and so I took a slightly thicker sheet (1.5mm) and scratched the lines more authentically regarding the original car:

Then I've started a quite crazy work. Here's the one vintage photo of the gorgeous interior of the Roadster:

Wouldn't it be nice to have this in the model, too? So I've made resin copies of the seats to try all the necessary steps first:

Cut off the backrest:

Cut slots into the backrest and put photo-etched hinges into:

Modifying the seat:

Building together with a thin rod going through all holes:

Working:

The reverse is already cut out for the luggage (still to be designed... :P )

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun May 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Jean, you're insane :shock:.

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun May 07, 2017 2:20 pm

I love how you take it to another level with every build. Amazing.

David MG

Post by David MG » Sun May 07, 2017 2:30 pm

LUW wrote:Jean, you're insane :shock:.
I want to go mad too ........ :o
Cheers,
David

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun May 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Amazing work Jean. Can't wait to see what you do with the luggage......will you make the suitcases open as well ;)
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon May 08, 2017 1:46 pm

I hoped no-one would notice, but I guess you're absolutely right :mrgreen: "
Tom wrote:I love how you take it to another level with every build. Amazing.
Thanks, but please do not expect me to do things like these with every further model.... :oops: "
David MG wrote:
I want to go mad too ........ :o
Reminds me of the late Freddie Mercury "I'm going slightly mad - it finally happened...." :)
Jager wrote:Amazing work Jean. Can't wait to see what you do with the luggage......will you make the suitcases open as well ;)
Thank you, well, nice idea, let's see what I can do for you... but my sewing machine is in the laundry so it will be difficult to tailor the wardrobe... :D

Today I've cast the lenses and the tire profile in silicone and filled this mould with resin, as well as the taillights:

Then, before making the folding seats, all parts for the interior are fixed to see if everything fits:

David MG

Post by David MG » Mon May 08, 2017 2:01 pm

Jager wrote:Amazing work Jean. Can't wait to see what you do with the luggage......will you make the suitcases open as well ;)
If Jean does they will probably contain p/e lingerie :o
Cheers,
David

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon May 08, 2017 2:22 pm

:lol:

Fantastic!

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:03 am

David MG wrote:
Looking forward to seeing this! :lol:

Astonishing work, as always. Loved the interior mods!
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed May 10, 2017 1:27 pm

David MG wrote:
Tom wrote::lol: Fantastic!
I really do not know if you're fooling me... ;)
Paulius43 wrote:Astonishing work, as always. Loved the interior mods!
Thank you! Well, at the moment I'm not sure if I'd make lingerie, but if you all are interested in more romantic things, have a look at my thread "Diorama/Un chateau...", there are few news, too...

Today I continued with the tires. I already modified the original rubber tires, but I'm not completely satisfied, so I want to try something else:

"blank" tire made (partially, at least) on my new lathe and the resin-casted profile from the p/e part:

Running profile and flank profiles glued onto:

First coating with primer:

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed May 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Very cool way to make tyres.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 pm

That's different ! How do you ensure the pattern matches where the two ends of the PE meet ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

gilma

Post by gilma » Wed May 10, 2017 11:58 pm

Wow again, really superb, the interior looking great, looking forward to the luggage :D 8-)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Tom wrote:Very cool way to make tyres.
You know, I always aim for being independent from all the suppliers of spare parts etc. And so I use my sleepless nights to think about how all the necessary parts could be made "at home"... ;)
Jager wrote:That's different ! How do you ensure the pattern matches where the two ends of the PE meet ?
Take the diameter of the wheel, multiply with 3.14 ("pi") and you have the length of the profile. In the graphic programme it is no problem to stretch or push the designed pattern exactly to this measurement, and this way the ends fit together. On the other hand: the resin part stretches a little when handling it and glueing it onto the wheel, so the pattern matches not 100%... I'm sure no-one will notice that at the completed car :)
gilma wrote:Wow again, really superb, the interior looking great, looking forward to the luggage :D 8-)
Thank you, I'm looking forward to that, too! I'm not yet sure how to make it, but I guess I'll find a way...

Today I have finally made the folding seats. I was a little bit afraid - while I tried everything with the resin casts first, I haven't made white-metal copies, so every single step MUST be accurate :o So it took the whole day, but I'm very satisfied with the result:

First seat cut into halves:

HInges glued into, smoothened with putty, milled a rectangle cut-out (according to the picture) and added two pockets:

Completed seats:

...and everything works perfectly :P

The lenses for the headlights are meanwhile ready, I always make slightly different sizes, as you can hardly control the exact diameter when milling out the massive headlights:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri May 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Going through this thread I keep saying 'wow'. Your attention to detail is fantastic, and I love it that you keep thinking of new ways to get better results. Though I've never done anything near like what you're doing I can attest that it's fun to add details you'll probably never be able to see... just because you know they're there.

LUW

Post by LUW » Fri May 12, 2017 2:27 pm

So you glue the tire thread over the "tire"? But doesn't that leave a seam?

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Sat May 13, 2017 7:52 am

Superb as usual Jean but have you thought about adding tyre manufacturer/size details on the sidewalls? It's always mildly perturbed me that, with the honourable exception of EMC, even the most expensive model manufacturers don't include this detail.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat May 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Tom wrote:Going through this thread I keep saying 'wow'. Your attention to detail is fantastic, and I love it that you keep thinking of new ways to get better results. Though I've never done anything near like what you're doing I can attest that it's fun to add details you'll probably never be able to see... just because you know they're there.
You're right! :P I simply enjoy doing all this, and even if the cars "only" are stored in the showcase, I sometimes watch all the "making-of" pictures by myself as if I hadn't done all the work, thus creating new ideas for future projects :D
LUW wrote:So you glue the tire thread over the "tire"? But doesn't that leave a seam?
Maybe it does, but I think this won't be visible. Today I've casted the first tire, it takes about three days until the resin has hardened, then we will see how everything will have turned out :)
BertOne wrote:Superb as usual Jean but have you thought about adding tyre manufacturer/size details on the sidewalls? It's always mildly perturbed me that, with the honourable exception of EMC, even the most expensive model manufacturers don't include this detail.
No, I haven't. It's not that I wouldn't have that in mind, but the writings would measure less than 1mm, and I would have to make single letters and apply them correctly (radius and distances) on the sidewalls. Perhaps somewhen in the future, but not now... Anyway, I don't have the intention to create a "perfect" model at all, I only want to bring out the "best" of an existing model or kit, so I'm not disturbed if details are not 100% up to the original :)

Today some smaller works at the front end have been made. The radiator got a small "cap" and the MM-mascot. The rod for the central headlight was - of course :roll: - too long, but as TinWizard choose the higher position of the "other" version, I simply arranged for a new rod sitting lower. Small louvers were added under the grill:

Tomorrow the grille itself will be prepared for etching the cut-out for the mesh, and slowly, slowly all parts are are adjusted and are ready for priming... :P