Packard Darrin Convertible and Coupé Parisienne by Western Models

Jager

Re: Packard Darrin Convertible and Coupé Parisienne by Western Models

Post by Jager » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:49 am

Once again some very inspiring work Jean. Congratulations on finishing two more stunning pieces for your 'Museum'.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Time to celebrate the finished cars :P ! Here we go:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 pm

Utterly fantastic. Impossible to pick a favourite.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:34 pm

Totally stunning! Can't say which one is nicer.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

David MG

Post by David MG » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 pm

What a stunning duo. Brilliant truly brilliant.
Cheers,
David

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 pm

What a clever fella you are. Applause.

csl143

Post by csl143 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 pm

Very exciting to see finished. Great work and worth the effort.

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:16 am

Stunning Jean. I know parents should never show favoritism to one child over another, but do you have a favourite ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

gilma

Post by gilma » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Wonderful models Jean, I really like the low profile of the Coupé, but I think my favorite is the convertible, gorgeous 8-)

David Holcombe

Post by David Holcombe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:00 pm

Jean, after a long absence from Scale 143, I returned recently and this evening I have been reading your weeks and months of construction. My collection includes my weak attempt at assembling the Western Packard Darrin convertible, albeit only using the Western pieces. My results look only slightly better than the two abandoned wrecks with which you started.
Thank you for your fine photography and graphic explanations. It all developed over the weeks, and I feel enriched by my viewing your progress. The final completion photographs are in themselves masterpieces.
And now I return to my present effort, an Alfa Romeo 8C2300 by Gunze Sangyo, a Japanese product from 1977. It's just a simple little racing car, but fun to build in my dotage. Again, I thank you for sharing the wealth of your talents. David

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Tom wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:15 pm
Utterly fantastic. Impossible to pick a favourite.
Thank you! And thanks for your continued following of my projects :P
LUW wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:34 pm
Totally stunning! Can't say which one is nicer.
Thanks a lot! Well, the old question of which one's nicer, and I simply cannot answer it :)
David MG wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 pm
What a stunning duo. Brilliant truly brilliant.
Nice to hear, thank you so much!
reeft1 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 pm
What a clever fella you are. Applause.
But not too much, I'm a very shy boy :oops:
csl143 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:42 pm
Very exciting to see finished. Great work and worth the effort.
Thank you! With some intermissions it took more than three months, I have to admit that I was a little bit impatient... :)
Jager wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:16 am
Stunning Jean. I know parents should never show favoritism to one child over another, but do you have a favourite ?
That's it, I always try to build my models in a way that they please me under all circumstances. The Convertible for a picknick, the Coupé for the opera, I guess :D
gilma wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:25 pm
Wonderful models Jean, I really like the low profile of the Coupé, but I think my favorite is the convertible, gorgeous 8-)
Great that you can make a choice! The profile is really impressive, perhaps I have exaggerated that details, but there seems to be only one single photo of the car, and I simply wanted to catch the impression of it :)
David Holcombe wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:00 pm
Jean, after a long absence from Scale 143, I returned recently and this evening I have been reading your weeks and months of construction. My collection includes my weak attempt at assembling the Western Packard Darrin convertible, albeit only using the Western pieces. My results look only slightly better than the two abandoned wrecks with which you started. Thank you for your fine photography and graphic explanations. It all developed over the weeks, and I feel enriched by my viewing your progress. The final completion photographs are in themselves masterpieces. And now I return to my present effort, an Alfa Romeo 8C2300 by Gunze Sangyo, a Japanese product from 1977. It's just a simple little racing car, but fun to build in my dotage. Again, I thank you for sharing the wealth of your talents. David
Welcome back! It seems that we both joined S1/43 at the same time...? Don't give up model-building, sometimes it doesn't turn out the way you have imagined, but you can bring out so very much simply by stripping the old white-metals and painting them newly. They always use much too thick primers, and when having removed these, honed and finished the bare metal body and then airbrushed it again, you surely see some difference! Stay tuned, and show your works, please! The old Gunze kits are very special, I have the Bugatti Royale, which is indeed a copy-cast of the Solido :o !

The Packards moved into their new home:

... and for the first time the showcase is "full", that means forty cars are displayed :P ! Of course - step by step - another forty will be placed in second row... :roll:

(sorry for the blurry photo... :) )

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:15 pm

That is a truly unique collection, nobody else in the world has any of these models as they are in your display. Though there are lots of interesting collections to be seen on S143, yours is surely the most personal of them all.
I wish I had the skills and time to correct every flaw I found in my models...

gilma

Post by gilma » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:36 am

I agree with Tom, a beautiful and one of a kind collection :)

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 am

Tom wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:15 pm
That is a truly unique collection, nobody else in the world has any of these models as they are in your display. Though there are lots of interesting collections to be seen on S143, yours is surely the most personal of them all.
I wish I had the skills and time to correct every flaw I found in my models...
gilma wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:36 am
I agree with Tom, a beautiful and one of a kind collection :)
Yes totally unique and totally beautiful. Its one thing to just buy ready made models (although that does require considerable skill!) another to create your own.

BTW, although you say the Parisienne was a one-off that hasn't survived there is an at least similar car still extant... Image
So, is this the same car or what? :o

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:59 am

BertOne wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 am
BTW, although you say the Parisienne was a one-off that hasn't survived there is an at least similar car still extant... So, is this the same car or what? :o
No it's not! I've made deep researching for that car, and this is quite a story... I've written a story of four pages about the circumstances which led to the car shown on your photo, but it's - of course - in German... I'll try to give a very short version:

Howard Darrin designed the "Packard Darrin" for model year 1939/40 as a European sports car for America. The next season, 1940/41, Packard itself launched a face-lift, eliminating the clean and typical Darrin details. Packard head designer Edward Macaulay made an own "Coupé Parisienne" or better "Landaulet" from this second version. This one-off (or possibly "two-off") was later re-designed several times, at last it disappeared or was disassembled. The roof, as an "extra-part" survived and came to light again in the 1950s. An aficionado obviously collected the roof as well as an original, 1939 Packard Darrin and assembled the roof to it, the works are shown on www. When examining all the photos you can recognize that this is the roof of the Macaulay version of 1942 - and furthermore you will see that the roof absolutely doesn't suit the Darrin design... This mock-up looks more like a hearse for the late Zsa Zsa Gabor :)

That's the story in short, sometimes researching a car is a kind of criminalistic investigation... ;)

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Thanks Jean. I didn't mean to add to your workload, you're busy enough making the models but that's my question answered quite authoritatively!
Now you point it out I can your car is much sleeker than the Macaulay version.