Trumpf Adler Reichs-Autobahn-Wagen by Mikansue

Jean B.

Trumpf Adler Reichs-Autobahn-Wagen by Mikansue

Post by Jean B. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Ready for a new classic white-metal? Well, I am :P ! Adler was an acknowledged premium car manufacturer in pre-war Germany. They built modern, mid and upper class automobiles, sporty and with refined technical solutions. Perhaps cars in a style which BMW is famous for nowadays... On the basis of the Trumpf an ultra-modern streamlined car was designed by Paul Jaray, one of the leading "streamliners" of that time. Though intended to be a road car, called "Reichs-Autobahn-Wagen", only a couple of one-offs were made for that purpose. Some further cars of that type participated in rallyes like LeMans, two or three survived until today.

ImageVintage advertising

ImageOne of the rare vintage photos of the road car, obey the white-walls!

ImageThe road car in an exhibition

The model made by Mikansue, built by a talented model-builder:

ImageThe model disassembled and stripped

Imagewith wheel dummies, backings of the wheels raised with solder to raise the body compared to the chassis

ImageInterior shell made for only two seats, the road version should have four seats

ImageGiving the seats pipings

Image"Cleaning" the body from decorations...

ImageRemoving the original seams with solder

Image...and scribing new ones

Tom

Re: Trumpf Adler Reichs-Autobahn-Wagen by Mikansue

Post by Tom » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Wow, cool subject! Looking forward to what your craftsmanship can extract from this basic model...

Ozmac

Post by Ozmac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:09 pm

I look forward to seeing all of your projects take shape, Jean, but this one I think I'll look forward to just a bit more than usual. Love that car.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:51 am

I very handsome starting point, will truly enjoy the metamorphosis that is about to start.
Jeff
ImageImage

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:17 am

Due to the Le Mans connection, the Trumpf Adler has also been a favourite of mine. I'm looking forward to this one even a little more than the previous rebuilds.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Re: Adler Trumpf Reichs-Autobahn-Wagen by Mikansue

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:04 pm

Last edited by Jean B. on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:20 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:44 pm
Wow, cool subject! Looking forward to what your craftsmanship can extract from this basic model...
Biggest problem will be the curved windows, please cross your fingers! :roll:
Ozmac wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:09 pm
I look forward to seeing all of your projects take shape, Jean, but this one I think I'll look forward to just a bit more than usual. Love that car.
It's nice, isn't it? The subject "streamliners" was my very first idea for my collection. There are meanwhile 200 more or less interesting cars in my collection, but only few really aerodynamic shapes, so I thought it's time to push this subject a little bit!
JSB33 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:51 am
I very handsome starting point, will truly enjoy the metamorphosis that is about to start.
Feel invited, welcome! :P
Jager wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:17 am
Due to the Le Mans connection, the Trumpf Adler has also been a favourite of mine. I'm looking forward to this one even a little more than the previous rebuilds.
Nice to hear, perhaps the road version will be of interest for you, as well...

The window cutouts have to be straightened & cleaned, some tape will help to catch the lines:

Not that bad:

Almost all lines, cutouts, shapes and so on are more or less finished:

Headlights milled out:

A simple rear bench is made from polysterene (and this time I'll keep the plastic master, there is no sense in casting this in white-metal...):

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:50 pm

The body looks so much sharper now, after your work.

gilma

Post by gilma » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Great project, great shape. Looking excellent so far 8-)

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:26 pm

Are you going to thin down the roof pillars Jean. They seem a bit wide in comparison to the pictures you showed.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:50 pm
The body looks so much sharper now, after your work.
That's always one of the most important steps in model-building, to "clean & sharpen" all the lines. Usually the original master-makers scribed the lines only by hand into the wax models, which mostly looks a little bit clumsy :? Re-doing this with templates and rulers gives the model a more "adult" look :)
gilma wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:31 pm
Great project, great shape. Looking excellent so far 8-)
Thanks! So far the works are going on quite fluently... :)
Jager wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:26 pm
Are you going to thin down the roof pillars Jean. They seem a bit wide in comparison to the pictures you showed.
I think they've got the right dimensions. But please wait until the windows and frames are attached, I guess it will look different then...

Yesterday I've started with the biggest problem of this build: the curved windows :o ! Of course real glass cannot be used, although it's only 0.15mm thin, it breaks soon after giving the slightest tension on it. For model-building polycarbonate is the appropriate material for windows, it's absolutely crystal-clear, perfectly even and glossy like real glass. Unfortunately this material is at least 0.25mm thick, which is already too thick to attach it on the outside of the car, which is necessary in this case. Furthermore polycarbonate can only be bent when heating it up to 200 °C, but small pieces like for this car (only 5 x 8 mm) cannot be handled resp. fixed to heat them in a way to get two different radius' for one window pane... :roll: Industrial makers use vacuum forming machines, these cost quite a lot money (around 150 Euros), and the further problem would be that you can only use them when making special moulds for each car. As I'm doing only one-offs, this would be much too much work! So I've decided to use simple printer foil for my laser-jet printer. They are quite cheap, only 0.1mm thin, easily bendable but stiff - though they have the great disadvantage that they are not absolutely clear, but a little bit dull. I've polished them and so they get slightly more glossy, and I believe that this is the best-working compromise.

Here we can see a first test with this foil (not perfectly cleaned, fixed with some glue and adhesive tape):

How to get the shapes for the curved windows, to design photo-etched frames? First stick some adhesive tape on the outside, then powedering graphite from the inside:

Take off the tape, and stick onto printer foil:

Scanning and importing to InkScape:

Designing the basic shapes:

]Image

Controlling by printing out on paper:

Converting the basic shapes into frames and making a p/e film:

johann.nunweiller

Post by johann.nunweiller » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:23 pm

An ample and delicate work.

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Very creative solution!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:29 pm

johann.nunweiller wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:23 pm
An ample and delicate work.
It is... :roll: But you know, I'm always looking for the "next step" in model building... ;)
Tom wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:15 pm
Very creative solution!
When I told an architect (and builder of architectural models) about this, he said "yes, that's the usual way to do such things" - so I think I'm on the right way... :D

What's happened today? After photo-etching - which was successful - I've got several parts to continue the works. Most important the window frames. I've planned these only as samples, but the results are quite promising, I guess. It's indeed possible to cut out the transparent foil with the help of templates and glue it into the frames, and after setting to bend the complete window into the desired shape:

Image(The sharp edge in the window pane is indeed a reflection, no kink!)

Meanwhile a tyre master is made and first samples of the hubcaps:

And the profile thread for the tyre has been moulded in silicone and is to be casted with resin:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Love those windows, perfect!

johann.nunweiller

Post by johann.nunweiller » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Great work!

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:19 pm

Your ingenious solution for the windows look excellent Jean. I was skeptical about the width of the pillars, but wasn't expecting the frames to be glued over the top. Now I understand.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 pm
Love those windows, perfect!
You can't imagine how relieved I am that this really works! Actually I was scared to build a model with curved windshields and always thought "later in life" :) But you see, you have to be brave and look in the devil's eye :lol:
johann.nunweiller wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm
Great work!
Thank you! :P
Jager wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:19 pm
Your ingenious solution for the windows look excellent Jean. I was skeptical about the width of the pillars, but wasn't expecting the frames to be glued over the top. Now I understand.
It's always tricky to achieve the right impression of a car. The p/e window frames are too wide, of course - compared to the original car - but I can't make them narrower for reasons of handling. Therefore I always say "handbuilt - means not perfect!" :D

Besides many smaller works and enhancements I made a cutout for the licence plate:

...and began with smoothing over and filling the radiator cutout (will be replaced by a p/e part, of course):

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:01 pm

I really love the shape!
However, it will probably be tricky to get a completely smooth surface for paint as there is more car than most of your previous projects...

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:15 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:01 pm
I really love the shape! However, it will probably be tricky to get a completely smooth surface for paint as there is more car than most of your previous projects...
Trying my best! Of course, the larger the areas, the more you can see all irregularities, but on the other hand, with such a smooth and clean design you can "brush over" the body quite well. So, here we can see the first coating with primer, and I think it looks quite good:

Tomorrow the body will be honed & smoothed and will get a second coating, let's see how it turns out :P

gilma

Post by gilma » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:32 am

Excellent solution for the windows, and the overall shape looks great. I'm wondering about the colors you're gonna choose....

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Impressive as always, but....why didnt you just use clear plastic from a food container or clear a4 sheet art shop plastic? Wouldn’t that have been a simpler solution for the windows?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 pm

gilma wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:32 am
Excellent solution for the windows, and the overall shape looks great. I'm wondering about the colors you're gonna choose....
Thanks! Well, the colours will be rather unexciting, I guess... The vintage photo only shows a "medium" colour, I even cannot recognize if it's metallic or not. But of course I've made my mind up, and I believe that this car should had been a kind of "Silberpfeil" for Joe Bloggs, so I could imagine that this car was painted simply silver-metallic as a reminiscence to the Auto-Union and Mercedes racing cars.
reeft1 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:18 pm
Impressive as always, but....why didnt you just use clear plastic from a food container or clear a4 sheet art shop plastic? Wouldn’t that have been a simpler solution for the windows?
No, I don't think so. For this car you need different radii for top and bottom edges - you wouldn't find according shapes in any boxes or so (and furthermore I can't afford emptying the next general store... :lol: ). Plus: The window panes must not be thicker than 0.1mm, and any shop plastic is far thicker... :)

Slowly recovering from my cold, I re-started today with photo-etching (etching solution also works well for gargling :mrgreen: ):

The result is annoying, as the UV-lacquer had millions of small spots (manufacturer's issue) which are hardly visible, but leave a rough surface on the etched areas... :evil:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Can you polish the spots off?

I think the car would look quite sinister in dark grey or black.