CDM Resin Kits

CDM

CDM Resin Kits

Post by CDM » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Resin Kit by RPM

The Vauxhall Firenza Baby Bertha is a very recent resin model made by RPM Models and is still available
http://rpm-models.co.uk/ Look under Gerry Marshall. Note Big Bertha and Old Nail are due out in the future

Anyone who was watching British club racing in the 1970s will remember the larger than life Gerry Marshall’s antics in the Supersaloon Vauxhall Ventora V8 Big Bertha and then the V8 Baby Bertha.

I had wanted a model of this car for years and it was worth the wait. Possibly one of the best resin kit I have ever built. The parts were excellent, the glass super clear, it really did look the part. You have choice to make it how the car did look or as it is now. Chris

ImageDSCN6164 aa

ImageDSCN6165 aa

ImageDSCN6166 aa

Tom

Re: CDM Resin Kits

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:01 am

I recall that car from classic car magazine articles. The kit looks good and you've done a great job building it.

CDM

Post by CDM » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:33 am

Tom

It was a fantastic car driven on the limit by Marshall

I recall going to Thruxton for one race meeting where Marshall was down as 4th reserve, he got a run but from the back of the grid.

25?? cars in the 12 lap race he was 4th at the end of lap 1. It was like the parting of the Red Sea Minis, Imps, Anglias scattered all over the place. End of lap 2 he led.

After 5 laps he went into the pits came out and did it all again.

The car still exists, some film of Gerry and Baby Bertha, the man, the car, the noise.... legendary..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFTBgnCanJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7xbv5PlrhU

Chris

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:59 am

Would've loved to be there. Amaxing piece of racing history.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:16 am

I've never understood why any of the major 1:43 manufacturers haven't done Big Bertha and Baby Bertha. Surely these would sell very well and should be a no brainer for someone.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

CDM

Post by CDM » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:21 am

Absolutely it took Andrew at RPM to make it happen but in limited numbers. He has done a super job of it to. Cant wait for Big Bertha and Old Nail

I think its the old problem of the diecast manufactures want to maximise the use of any mould. How many different versions can they get out of it? Then how many paint versions. The cost of producing a diecast mould is huge compared to one in resin or white metal. Things might have changed a bit now with modern technology.

So back to Big Bertha and Baby Bertha. There was only ever one version of the real cars. So no chance to do any different versions. Game over. There might also be the issue of licensing a GM product, which is why you dont see lots of Vauxhall Chevette/Firenza models (in numbers) around.

Hey ho moving on....

Chris

klubman01

Post by klubman01 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:33 pm

Nice looking model - well done.

Arena do some very nice kits of the Chevette.

CDM

Post by CDM » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:23 pm

Regarding the Arena Chevettes and their Firenza models...have you ever built one?

As you say they do a lot of versions and some very good ones too.

Eh ummm I will just jump on my soap box here...

Over many years I have built models for myself and others. I have built most of the Arena Chevettes for AN Other and there are a few.

They build OK, the decals are nice BUT the windows are a complete nightmare. You can put all your effort in to getting a nice finish only to be ruined by the windows.

The windows come as a flat clear sheet, with very thin photo etch surrounds. The side windows are fine, the rear window is just too small for the hole and the front windscreen is not flat it curves left to right and from top to bottom. Its beyond my comprehension how you make a flat sheet curve two ways and then keep the very thin photo etched still attached. If you can do it its then all too thick and stand too proud of the car. I was going to post something about this another time. But having built a couple of their Firenzas recently for myself I got so peed of with them I got their decals and put them onto a Vanguard Diecast Firenza. They just look so much better.

Back to the Arena models the inside are generally all black, so why does it need three parts to make the steering wheel and why do they need photo etch seat runners?

I have actually refused to build any more Arena Chevettes and Firenzas for AN Other!

I must jump off.....Cripes I need a drink

Chris

Chris

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:05 pm

Superb build Chris. I wish you hadn’t shared those insights on the Arena Chevette - i have the Pond HFH version to build!

klubman01

Post by klubman01 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:55 pm

I've not built an Arena Chevette but I have built one of their Lancia Stratos. Yes, sometimes you can have too much detail! I agree about the windows - BBR are guily of similar crimes.

CDM

Post by CDM » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:32 am

Sorry Paul...they really do some good Chevette liveries all the ones you would want in a collection, the AHfH one is not the easiest to decal. But we are talking about a Vauxhall Chevette not a Ferrari here, it does need loads of photo etch. Over use of photo etch does not make it a better model

Ref The Arena Stratos I can build these in my sleep. This mould is getting very tired. The resin wheel centres constantly fall apart and the vac form windows just about fit and are now loosing the definition. Apparently the latest versions of the Arena Stratos use a flat sheet of clear for you to make the windscreen. They are having a laugh!!!

My whole comments here are that everyone bangs on about encouraging youngsters or new people to our hobby or sport etc.. If anyone built an Arena Chevette for the first time they would never build a kit again. Thats not fair.

Nurse...more medication ...!!!

Chris

CDM

Post by CDM » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:11 pm

Despite having built most of the Arena Chevette resin models for AN Other I don’t have any in my own collection, but when their Vauxhall Firenza/Magnum resin kits came out a couple of years ago, I dived into the deep end again, knowing the window problem I was going to have (I must have been mad!!). In the photos the two silver cars are Arena Models. I also built the yellow version firstly as an Arena Model of which more in mo.

The white and yellow models are my conversions on an Oxford Diecast stripped and resprayed and with Arena decals added. You can pick them off Ebay for around £12. The white one is the used by Jimmy McRae and the yellow car is also seen on historic rallies in the UK both those cars are replicas

At first I built the yellow one as an Arena Models but got annoyed with their choice of yellow colour it was completely wrong and then with the windows. It’s difficult in the photo to show what I am going on about. The two models side by side are a perfect match. But the windscreen on the Oxford just looks so much better and in fact is a very nice model. I am really chuffed the way the two Oxford conversions came out and with the yellow one now in the correct shade of yellow. So much so I sold the yellow Arena version on. Chris

ImageDSCN6172 aa

Imageaa

ImageDSCN5362 aa

ImageDSCN5358 aa

ImageDSCN5391 aa

ImageDSCN6175 aa

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:44 am

Very nice. I added the Oxford Firenza to my collection recently and agree that it's a good model.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:46 am

Lovely. I converted an Oxford with Arena decals and am very happy with the result.

CDM

Post by CDM » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:02 am

Paul & Tom

The Oxford Diecast really is a nice model and converted very well for these rally versions.

Lets hope Oxford do a droop snoot version.

A mate had one of these in bright yellow. It had no door handles so you opened the doors from a switch in the boot. All Ok until the battery went flat!!

He then lost it on a slow speed 90 left and hit a telgraph pole head on.

Chris