Mercedes C111-IV

Jean B.

Mercedes C111-IV

Post by Jean B. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:17 pm

My customer asked me to build this resin kit of a Mercedes C111-IV from the late 1970s. Honestly, this is not really my cup of tea, but however, I'll try to make a nice eye-catcher from it :)

I'm not sure, but I think the kit is made by EMC, the parts are casted almost perfectly :o :

The pattern for the seat is much too big, and the cloth actually is simply black/white, not fancy-coloured :roll: :

Sharp-edged p/e parts:

The shapes of the window panes are scratched into the plastic, but hardly to be seen:

Tricky: two different wheels sizes front/rear. I think the shape of the wheels is more a fantasy, on all pictures available the car always wears five-spoke wheels:

Reverse side grinded off to get some more clearance for the wheels in the body shell, holes drilled:

Tom

Re: Mercedes C111-IV

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Interesting project, indeed far from your usual fare. Looking forward to the build.

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:39 pm

This will be interesting to follow.
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:44 am

The Mercedes is a very unusual car, not just for you Jean but anybody. This should be a very unique model by the time you’ve finished.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

BertOne

Post by BertOne » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:55 am

An interesting diversion for you and as I much as I share your love of deco streamliners, I also love concepts and supercars so I'm particularly interested to see what you make of this one. :)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:30 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:25 pm
Interesting project, indeed far from your usual fare. Looking forward to the build.
It's unusual for me, but honestly, while working with this car, I indeed discover some sympathy for it :)
LUW wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:39 pm
This will be interesting to follow.
Feel invited! :P
Jager wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:44 am
The Mercedes is a very unusual car, not just for you Jean but anybody. This should be a very unique model by the time you’ve finished.
And I hope that this won't take so very long... :roll: I am going to work with mainly the original parts, beside some very few parts I'll do by myself. It will be challenging to achieve the sharpness and tidiness such a modern car deserves... :)
BertOne wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:55 am
An interesting diversion for you and as I much as I share your love of deco streamliners, I also love concepts and supercars so I'm particularly interested to see what you make of this one. :)
And for me it's some diversity... meanwhile I get some more orders from customers, and of course I cannot only make Art-Déco cars :) So this one will be a kind of "test", I guess...

What's happened today? I want to make more authentic five-spoke rims for the car, so I milled out the original wheels to get some depth, then I photo-etched a star-design, matching the original design (somehow):

When painted, I think this won't look so bad:

I want to make my own window panes, as I think that the original ones don't fit that exactly and that the plastic is a little bit too hard to wrap around the cut-out. So I scanned the original plastic card and adapted the shape in InkScape:

A paper cutout reveals that the shape is almost perfect :P , though it will be quite tricky to glue it into the body...:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Those wheels look great!

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Creating a new windscreen looks very ambitious. Good luck !

klubman01

Post by klubman01 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:52 am

Welcome to the world of resin kits.
Windows are sometimes a problem. Those designed to fit from the inside can be more of a challenge.

gilma

Post by gilma » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:20 pm

This should be an interesting build, I never heard of this car :)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:34 pm
Those wheels look great!
Thanks! I really don't understand why the manufacturer made those disc wheels? I've found no single photo with such wheels. Actually the spoke wheels should have real depth, the spokes are really massive, but I cannot make such shapes, so the simple p/e veneer must do as well... :)
Jager wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:34 pm
Creating a new windscreen looks very ambitious. Good luck !
You're right, it IS ambitious! And I really do need your "lucky wishes"... :roll: Sometimes I wish I could build a model car just the way it is, without inventing the wheel again and again...
klubman01 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:52 am
Welcome to the world of resin kits. Windows are sometimes a problem. Those designed to fit from the inside can be more of a challenge.
I still don't understand why they make model cars from resin, would love to do this in white metal ;) And I find it much more difficult to fix the windows from the outside, because you must not spread any glue and the outer line has to fit 100 %. If the windows are fixed from inside, you can make them slightly bigger and use thick glue... :D
gilma wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:20 pm
This should be an interesting build, I never heard of this car :)
I haven't too... My world history stops around 1959, I guess :lol: But thanks to the www, all information desired are present with a mouse click... :D

I've made a first test print on laserjet foil and fixed it with glue, it's really, really tricky... but I guess I'm on the right way. Some slight modifications and it should work:

klubman01

Post by klubman01 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:14 am

Achieving a smooth transition from window to bodywork is easier with externally fitted windows but, I agree, more care and very little glue is required.

I found a picture with the disc wheels - probably a bit late for you now.
1979-Mercedes-Benz-C111-IV-team[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:21 pm

klubman01 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:14 am
Achieving a smooth transition from window to bodywork is easier with externally fitted windows but, I agree, more care and very little glue is required.

I found a picture with the disc wheels - probably a bit late for you now.1979-Mercedes-Benz-C111-IV-team[1].jpg
Thank you so much, that's really great! Indeed, now it's too late, the original disc wheels are gone forever... :( But: this way the model gets really unique, compared to some dozens of copies by EMC all wearing the disc wheels, while this one will be the only one worldwide with p/e five-spoke wheels... :) (of course I could have saved one day of work...)

Today I've made new designs for decals. The fancy-chequered seat cover will be replaced by a fine black-white chequer:

...and a new Mercedes star is made, simply because the original decals became dark-yellowish and this would ruin the silver metallic paint finish. The left-hand version is the "original" one (though self-made), but minimized to the desired size I will use the "simplified" right-hand version which will cause the appropriate impact:

The shapes for the windows are finished:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Wow, those windows will be tough to fit! Excellent work so far.

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:07 pm

That looks hard to do. Did you heat the plastic up over a mold to achieve the final shape?
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Tom wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:27 pm
Wow, those windows will be tough to fit! Excellent work so far.
Yes, this will be tough... :roll: I wish they had made some vac-form windows or plastic-cast like Matchbox, this would be much easier. However, "what doesn't kill us, will make us harder", as we say in Germany :D
LUW wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:07 pm
That looks hard to do. Did you heat the plastic up over a mold to achieve the final shape?
No, I didn't heat it. The foil is stiff, but so flexible that you can curl it gently and tight around a pen or a big screwdriver without crinkles and it keeps this shape.

The two tiny grilles for the headlights were black-burnished, this is much easier than painting them:

I studied the kit carefully and came to the conclusion that it is necessary to assemble body and fins before painting, so I had to do this first:

All parts ready for priming:

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:38 pm

A truly unique shape, cant say I've ever seen it before but it reminds me of a fish. Looking forward to the paintwork.

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Jean B. wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:36 pm
All parts ready for priming:
What, no shortening, lengthening, cutting or filling ;) ,

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:38 pm
A truly unique shape, cant say I've ever seen it before but it reminds me of a fish. Looking forward to the paintwork.
Well, aerodynamic styling of the '70s... for me all cars of that era looked like video cassette recorders... :D
Jager wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm
What, no shortening, lengthening, cutting or filling ;) ,
I made the suggestion to convert it into a four-door-sedan, but my customer didn't agree... :lol:

The front spoiler needs to get a center cutout:

Two coatings of primer:

...and already some black-painted parts:

Tomorrow the primer must be sanded, then I'll decide if I spray another layer of primer or already proceed with silver paint.

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 pm

This looks unlike any VCR I've ever seen... the body appears to be quite smooth, no filling and sanding needed.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Looking good already Jean.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 pm
This looks unlike any VCR I've ever seen... the body appears to be quite smooth, no filling and sanding needed.
For me it's the "edged" or angular design which reminds me of VCRs and answering machines of that time... :) The kit is almost perfect! Of course (modern) resin kits are accurate in general, but this one shows parts which match together with absolutely no clearance, without trimming the parts! Impressive, I have to say :!:
Jager wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:31 pm
Looking good already Jean.
Thanks, nice to hear! The real challenge will be clear-painting the car, I have to admit I'm a little bit aroused thinking of that... :o

The dashboard is ready:

The interior:

ImageThere's indeed one photo where it is visible that the hosepipes are made of red plastic!

Body painted silver:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 pm

You did a fantastic job on the paint!

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 pm
You did a fantastic job on the paint!
Spraying metallic or matte paints is not so difficult, to be honest... :oops: Really difficult is achieving a shiny/glossy surface without "orange skin", holes etc. So the most diffcult work still has to be done...

Seat is finished:

Wheels as well:

Mercedes stars are applied and a first coating with Humbrol Gloss Coat is made: