Buick Y-Job by SMTS

Jean B.

Re: Buick Y-Job by SMTS

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:17 am
Beautiful.
Thanks! I'm curious how the finished hubcap will look like with the filigrane ring painted white...
Jager wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 am
.....and impressive.
Nice :P ! Still following my aim becoming "master of disc wheels" :D
gilma wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:33 am
A fantastic subject. Very nice work on the back wheels arches 8-)
I have to admit I was a little bit afraid doing the thing with the rear wheel arches, but now I'm quite satisfied with the decision and also with the result... :)

Today I've made some new p/e parts. To get along I first need the parts for the interior: One panel containing the triangle side windows, and another panel becoming the interior door panel. The latter is only a template, a full version with trim will follow later, as I need the dashboard to join the trim elements.

Fixed:

The dash was widened and gets a new steering column:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:35 pm

Up ro your usual high standard. Looks great.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:35 pm
Up ro your usual high standard. Looks great.
Thank you! At least I'm trying to keep the standard, sometimes I guess I'm loosing myself in details which are simply not reachable... :roll: The main thing is that you all have fun watching my work :D

Today some rather fuzzy works had to be done, nothing spectacular... So it took some hours to create those small corners where the dash meets the doors, but I wanted to close those original gaps:

A fuel intake is scratched into the fender:

The joints of the trunk hood and the gaps for the bumper holders are made:

The same for the front ending, as I will make p/e bumper holders which follow the extravagant shape of the original :P :

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:47 pm

You must have lots of practice scribing panel lines into white metal. I tried it once and ruined the kit. :cry: Yours make the pro jealous.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Tom wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:47 pm
You must have lots of practice scribing panel lines into white metal. I tried it once and ruined the kit. :cry: Yours make the pro jealous.
I know that problem very well... :roll: White-metal is so terribly slippery and soft as well that you can hardly follow one single line. But I'm sure that your kit is not ruined! If the lines "run out" you can fill them with fine polyester putty and smooth them over. Afterwards you cut out a template of thin metal sheet or simply polysterene board, bend it a little bit so that it fits onto the body, glue it onto the body, and the next day you can (quite) easily scribe the line surrounding the template. Then carefully removing the template and the glue, and you will have a "perfect line". Believe me :D !

I've decided to remove the door handles and to make new ones...

...and the rear lights, too. To get the necessary height of the lights, I first made two base parts out of brass strip which will receive photo-etched veneers:

Meanwhile four wheels are ready casted, drilled through and equipped with brass tubes:

And the next "big work" is done as well: fixing the enormous fender trim all around the body:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Thanks for the tutorial. I tried scribing freehand and it didn't work.
Your lower body trim looks superb. This might end up being the feature that makes this model... Not to take anything away from the rest, but it really stands out.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:52 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:13 pm
Your lower body trim looks superb. This might end up being the feature that makes this model... Not to take anything away from the rest, but it really stands out.
Agreed. Should look stunning when all painted and polished up.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:13 pm
Thanks for the tutorial. I tried scribing freehand and it didn't work. Your lower body trim looks superb. This might end up being the feature that makes this model... Not to take anything away from the rest, but it really stands out.
"Freehand scribing" is indeed nearly impossible, that's absolutely no lack of skills! If you want to, send me a picture of this kit, and perhaps I could give some further advice. - The chrome trim of the Y-Job is great, isn't it? I really hope that this all will turn out the way I have in mind...
Jager wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:52 pm
Agreed. Should look stunning when all painted and polished up.
I was not sure if I should make the trim separately from the body and glue it onto after painting & polishing. But I feared that in this case the trim would look "made afterwards". As often, a kind of experience... :roll:

The last days I was busy designing lots of p/e parts and making some restorations for a customer, today I finally made some new p/e sheets:

The center pillar fixed for arranging the hood trim, and the trim should get a kind of "nose" under the front end:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:00 pm

That looks really good!

I don't even know what kit it was that I ruined, it must've been near 20 years ago. All my unbuilt and unfinished kits are now packed away in storage for me to have more time, room and funds to build them anyway.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:00 pm
That looks really good! I don't even know what kit it was that I ruined, it must've been near 20 years ago. All my unbuilt and unfinished kits are now packed away in storage for me to have more time, room and funds to build them anyway.
Well, then just let me know if I can help in any way :P - All parts are prepared for priming, that means all blemishes which are visible at this state should be eliminated, the parts fixed on tooth picks, and all cleaned properly:

And the first very thin coating with primer, just to check if all surfaces are perfect - or at least fine :) :

In general everything turned out quite well, but of course there are many areas which need some further honing before the next and - hopefully - final coating with primer!

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:30 pm

VERY clean.

Jager

Post by Jager » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:49 am

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing the painting of the fender trim.

gilma

Post by gilma » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Looking excellent, I'm too very anxious to see that trim finished - will be a hit I'm sure :)

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Tom wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:30 pm
VERY clean.
Well, it only looks clean on the photo... :oops: But that's the point: the first coating with primer shows what is still to be done, and the second coating mostly gives a perfect finish :P
Jager wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:49 am
Excellent. Looking forward to seeing the painting of the fender trim.
After priming I already scratched through the fender trim to avoid too many paint layers on the strips - and I'm quite sure it will look quite nice... :D
gilma wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:22 pm
Looking excellent, I'm too very anxious to see that trim finished - will be a hit I'm sure :)
As always: the original model parts were made very good, but self-made you can always go a step further :)

After sanding and retouching the body after the first priming, the second layer shows a much better result! The trim is already scratched through and covered with latex, so that only the last black paint layer will be sprayed all over. This way I avoid scratching through the trim too often:

Some areas are still to be honed & sanded, but perhaps it won't be necessary to prime again.

The Buick logos are glued onto the hubcaps with the help of a template to place them centered. The filigrane discs will be painted white, the lower discs need some black paint to add some depth for the filigrane discs:

Steering wheel in process:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:19 pm

I love how you use PE in a more intricate fashion with every build. Especially when you build 3D items from separate parts it's incredible to look at. Thanks for the blow-by-blow reports, I know they take a lot of work too (especially in English).

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:08 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:19 pm
I love how you use PE in a more intricate fashion with every build. Especially when you build 3D items from separate parts it's incredible to look at. Thanks for the blow-by-blow reports, I know they take a lot of work too (especially in English).
Regarding the p/e parts, it's only because I'm unable to build all those parts like a real fine-mechanic or a watchmaker :oops: Photo-etching is a kind of "fine mechanics for amateurs", I guess ;) But when I look back in my life, I surely ever made something of things I found around the household. I remember that when I was six years old, I built a grammophone of a matchbox, using the tip of a pin (cut off with my mother's scissors, which were ruined then...) as a needle for a record made of black paper :D . I've been a nerd ever since, as it seems :lol: And I love sharing this work with you here on S1/43. I don't know your experiences, but even in a big city like Berlin I haven't met anyone who is really interested in what I'm doing - hail to the www!

It's going to be a colourful afternoon:

White for the interior inserts and the filigrane hubcap rings:

A warm yellow for the licence plates:

Under daylight this appears light brown, rather than gray:

...matching the beige-brown metallic shade for dashboard, steering column and door panels:

And of course plain black for the body:

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:18 pm

Hard to show colours well in photographs, this looks to be a nice combo though the colours appear as a neutral light grey and silver on my tablet screen.

I know what you mean about nobody caring, I have very few friends who are interested in my collection. In this case I'm glad, because otherwise we wouldn't have been able to follow your progress.

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:02 pm

I think we're all a bunch of nerds here.

At least in my city we have a club of like minded collectors with around 50 who meet once a month to discuss diecast over a coffee. Maybe there is something similar in Berlin.....I would start by checking with CK Models at Classic Remise Berlin :

https://ck-modelcars.de/en/eur/classic-remise-berlin/

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:18 pm
Hard to show colours well in photographs, this looks to be a nice combo though the colours appear as a neutral light grey and silver on my tablet screen. I know what you mean about nobody caring, I have very few friends who are interested in my collection. In this case I'm glad, because otherwise we wouldn't have been able to follow your progress.
It seems that the genre of car model building has declined over many years... Think of the huge Danhausen model car books in the 1980s, where are the books - and where are all the manufacturers? In Berlin we have a well-known large toy and hobby store which celebrated its 40th anniversary a couple of weeks ago. In an interview the owner (resp. his son) was asked how business changed in the last forty years, and he said that "model building" is hardly any subject in today's business, the customers mainly want to "plug and play", not building anything over a long time... *sniff* :(
Jager wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:02 pm
I think we're all a bunch of nerds here. At least in my city we have a club of like minded collectors with around 50 who meet once a month to discuss diecast over a coffee. Maybe there is something similar in Berlin.....I would start by checking with CK Models at Classic Remise Berlin
Thanks for the hint! You know, native-born Berliners are recognizable by the point that foreigners have to explain and to show their own city to them - really true :D ! (the reason is that "Berlin" in fact consists of around a dozen old villages and cities which were united in 1920 to "Great Berlin", and so every district has its own center which is preferred by the local habitants). Indeed I visited the Classic Remise some years ago, but meanwhile I'm in touch with some other smaller model shops. I'll report about any news... :)

The licence plates are scratched through and dunked into black-burnish for nickle silver:

Et voilà, black figures on yellow ground:

The black-painted profile rings are glued onto the white wheels (which will be masked and painted black again):

Painting the body was difficult - like every time :evil: ! The matte-black by Humbrol is not really black, but has a brownish hue. So I took the deep black from Revell, mixed with original Revell Enamel thinner. The result was: sticky! I had this effect already with some other Revell paints, so it is necessary to make tests with Revell paints generally before using them on the model! At least the paint could be washed off easily with some white spirit and I continued with deep black from a rattle can - easy and with a perfect result! Here's the body, already with full chrome trim:

The surface of the semi-matte paint is smoother than it looks on the photos, tomorrow it will be gloss-coated.

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:19 pm

'Model making' is now done in China, if I had to build all my models myself my collection would never grow. I'd just have a larger stack of boxes and a very busy time when I retire. I would love to build but I lack the space, the time and a lot of the talent- at least the talent you have to correct inaccuracies in the basic shape, as most kits are wrong in shape, scale and proportions. I'd just end up with an unsatisfactory collection in the end.

I'm no fan of the Revell paints myself, Have had some mixed results and decided to dump them all after that. Those number plates look great, looking forward to the final oats for the body.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Im another non fan of revell paints. Tamiya or Humbrol for me.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:19 pm
'Model making' is now done in China, if I had to build all my models myself my collection would never grow. I'd just have a larger stack of boxes and a very busy time when I retire. I would love to build but I lack the space, the time and a lot of the talent- at least the talent you have to correct inaccuracies in the basic shape, as most kits are wrong in shape, scale and proportions. I'd just end up with an unsatisfactory collection in the end. I'm no fan of the Revell paints myself, Have had some mixed results and decided to dump them all after that. Those number plates look great, looking forward to the final oats for the body.
Pleast don't get me wrong, I would never expect anyone to build a model instead of buying & collecting one. I simply find it a pity that this sujet has declined so much... I remember when I was a teenager how many plastic kits of beautiful 1930s cars were available by Revell, Monogram, Matchbox & Co., and that hardly anything survived. Well, generally I feel that I'm 30 - 50 years too late in history, I guess I should build a time machine... ;)
reeft1 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:34 pm
Im another non fan of revell paints. Tamiya or Humbrol for me.
Glad to hear that! I always think that I'm doing something wrong with that stuff... I think sometime I will try Tamiya, generally the paints seem to be quite expensive :o

A small "HJE" monogram is printed on decal paper and applied to the door top edges:

And a first coating with clear lacquer was sprayed on and sanded with 2400 MicroMesh:

I'm not sure whether I should spray again in the next time... We have so terribly high temperatures in Berlin, and the hot air contains much humidity, and this is "poison" for nitro-paints when drying. This time it wasn't that dangerous as the first layer is to be sanded. But with the next layers I should come to the final finish, and I don't want to have a white haze in it...

The reverse side of the wheels:

... and the front side:

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Those wheels look utterly amazing, I love them.
As much as I love to see the results of your labour, I'd advise you to wait for temperatures to go down before doing any more bodywork painting. From experience, high and low extremes and high humidity wreak havoc on the paint quality. I've ruined a few kits myself, so now I'm taking my own advice. In my place it's actually hotter than outside now...

Yeah, I wish that modelling would be more fashionable, instead of having a nerdy image. I would also love to have some time and money to return to the hobby I used to enjoy so much. I guess the progress in ready-made model quality at unbeatable prices and the success of Spark with their wide range and builders such as Autocult for the oddities have taken away the need for kit manufacturers to make the cars nobody else does, as there aren't that many left to make... Also, collecting in general is in decline. The younger generation thinks a collection is 'clutter' and they don't need that. Given that, I think we're lucky with the huge selection in models that we do have.
Am I right in thinking that the heydays of white metal and resin kits are also over? I have seen a lot less new casting introductions in recent years...

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:23 pm
Am I right in thinking that the heydays of white metal and resin kits are also over? I have seen a lot less new casting introductions in recent years...
It seems that many of the famous model makers are today in old age and/or poor health. We seem to hear fairly frequently offamous names from the 70's and 80's passing on and there were few model makers who followed them....possibly because that period coincided with the arrival of Minichamps and Spark. If you were a model maker today, how many exotic subjects are left to be modeled that haven't been produced or announced by Spark, Neo, Matrix, Autocult etc.

Thankfully we can still follow the old skills here in Jean's posts.