Bugatti Stelvio + Ventoux by Western Models

reeft1

Re: Bugatti Stelvio + Ventoux by Western Models

Post by reeft1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:41 am

That photoetching malarkey blows me away every single time.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:34 pm
That looks good. Looking forward to your creative solution for the grill casting problem.
For the grille there will be some slight changings regarding the master and the technique of casting. Let's see... :)
reeft1 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:41 am
That photoetching malarkey blows me away every single time.
"MeToo" :lol: Don't know how I could spend decades of my life without photo-etching device :D

And here's the result:

Mounting the spats:

Of course lots of finishing works are still necessary...

And the completed tire, ready for casting:

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Fantastic. Love the spats and the wheel master.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:16 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:02 pm
Fantastic. Love the spats and the wheel master.
Nice to hear! The spats are not entirely "original", but I simply had to obey the circumstances. Finally the lower body will be painted black, so I guess that all the details can hardly be seen with the finished model... :)

Now the surroundings of the spats are honed and sanded, and the lower fixing points as well as the "arrows" are added:

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:47 pm

That looks incredibly cool.

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:19 pm

Love the detail on the spats Jean.

Do you have to create a new tyre master for every model. I thought many of your models would have common sized wheels ?
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Tom wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:47 pm
That looks incredibly cool.
:P
Jager wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:19 pm
Love the detail on the spats Jean. Do you have to create a new tyre master for every model. I thought many of your models would have common sized wheels ?
First I look for the technical data of a car in the www. Then I check which scale the model actually has. And then I determine the exact size of the wheel. This leads to different tire masters for each model. But the most important detail is to design authentic profile patterns for every car. For the T57 I found two original patterns which I use on the same master, and these tires will be used for all 21 (?) T57s I meanwhile have :)

Making the silicone moulds for the two different tire masters. Always spread the liquid silicone with a brush onto the master to avoid air bubbles, then dunk it into the prepared casting:

Meanwhile all the shaping of the three cars is finished. That means that I can clean them and prepare them for the first coating with primer:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Is this the first time that you work on three models concurrently?

Looks great so far. Looking forward to your colour choices.

Jager

Post by Jager » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:05 pm

That's going to be a stunning looking set.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:02 pm
Is this the first time that you work on three models concurrently?

Looks great so far. Looking forward to your colour choices.
You're right, this is the first time working on three models at the same time... :) But it's not the last time - I have some further projects with three cars, each, still to come!

Regarding the colour choices: I guess I am going to paint the three cars in the "common" Bugatti schemes black with yellow/red/blue. On one hand this is not so very original, on the other hand I want to achieve a "strong impact" with this core of the Type 57.
Jager wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:05 pm
That's going to be a stunning looking set.
I really hope so! These three represent the first series of the standard factory styles. The next years I will proceed with the Atalante and then with the second series, followed by the third series and the T57S - I think in about 23 and a half years I'll be through with this subject... :lol:

All main parts prepared for priming:

...and done so:

Will be lots of work to rework all parts:

Test item for the spoke wheels:

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:16 pm

That wheel looks exquisite!
I love your choice of colour schemes. You're right, not original- but it just looks soooo good.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Tom wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:16 pm
That wheel looks exquisite! I love your choice of colour schemes. You're right, not original- but it just looks soooo good.
I did some research for the colours, and black/yellow is a combination already used by Ettore Bugatti, probably as a reminiscence to the old stagecoaches, which wore mainly this painting scheme in central Europe. Black/red can be proved as a combination which was used several times for exhibition cars by Jean Bugatti, and black/blue refers to the successful racing cars for Bugatti. So I guess those colours can't be totally wrong :D

The first tires are casted (next turn already in progress):

And all primed parts were reworked and are now ready for the next layer of primer:

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:23 pm

If you paint a '20s or '30s car in black with the side scallops in blue, red or yellow, any car nut will think it's a Bugatti. :)
Progress pics are always fascinating. It's easy to see that this takes a LOT of work.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Tom wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:23 pm
If you paint a '20s or '30s car in black with the side scallops in blue, red or yellow, any car nut will think it's a Bugatti. :) - or should I better revise the painting schemes...? ;)

Progress pics are always fascinating. It's easy to see that this takes a LOT of work.
It does, more and more - must be fate... :roll:

Find the differences between the first and the new version of the radiator:

New version to the right: the reverse side is slightly wider, as the white-metal shrinks when cooling down. The surrounding edge is now only 0.4mm instead of 0.6mm deep, I really hope that this will help letting the molten metal flow into.

The next difference will be the way making the mould:

This time I will make a three-piece mould which allows more pressure to the radiator shape, hoping that this also improves the result...

A rather simple work is reworking the seats:

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:35 pm

I find your solutions to all the different problems that show up in the process almost more interesting than the build progress itself. Very clever and creative, I hope it works out.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:36 pm

Tom wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:35 pm
I find your solutions to all the different problems that show up in the process almost more interesting than the build progress itself. Very clever and creative, I hope it works out.
:D , I guess I feel the same way! I simply love tinkering around, trying & testing if and how anything could be done. Of course I love my finished models, too, but it's fun to think about each next project and which difficulties will have to be solved then... :)

I forgot to make center tunnels :oops: :

Next step in making the radiator mould: fixing the intake funnel and the air outlet:

The completed silicone mould:

And here's the result:

ImageIt's better than the first attempt weeks ago, but definitely not perfect :cry: ! On the other hand, I've got no idea resp. no possibilities to further improve it in any way. The surrounding edge still is quite weak, but that's the best I can do with my equipment.

The shoulders are quite nice:

A second one:

ImageWithout magnifying glasses it looks quite good, and it's surely better than the originally supplied radiators, especially as I can now equip all T57 models with the same radiator :)

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Perhaps it won't stand up to close-up photography but I'm pretty sure that it'll look fine to the naked eye. The slats looks utterly fantastic.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Nout wrong wit tat - spot on

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:04 pm

As you're a perfectionist Jean, I can understand how the little flaw must annoy you. However without the magnification it looks fine and is still well head of the original.

reeft1

Post by reeft1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:56 am

Jean - i know this might cause you to have a cardiac/be considered blasphemous, but for this level of fine detail, have you considered using your existing mould and seeing if a resin cast gives you a finer level of detail without defect?

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Tom wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:28 pm
Perhaps it won't stand up to close-up photography but I'm pretty sure that it'll look fine to the naked eye. The slats looks utterly fantastic.
That's it: with "naked-eye" it looks really fine, and the lower part will almost disappear behind headlights, bumper etc., so I'm almost satisfied, unless... (read below)
reeft1 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:51 pm
Nout wrong wit tat - spot on
Jager wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:04 pm
As you're a perfectionist Jean, I can understand how the little flaw must annoy you. However without the magnification it looks fine and is still well head of the original.
Thanks for your encouragement :P ! Imagine: I found a dealer offering "detail metal", a special alloy with a lower melting temperature which should allow very filigrane and accurate castings. So I ordered a ton of that stuff and will make another test. Who knows, perhaps it will get better, then... :)
reeft1 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:56 am
Jean - i know this might cause you to have a cardiac/be considered blasphemous, but for this level of fine detail, have you considered using your existing mould and seeing if a resin cast gives you a finer level of detail without defect?
Don't worry, my heart pacemaker always works on "high level" :D ! Of course I have considered casting the radiator in resin and airbrushing it with AlClad. That would be the "ultima ratio" and of course then everything would turn out perfectly. But as I need this for a dozen of T57s, I really wish to make this in massive metal. You know, I'm always forced to choose the hard way... ;)

For the moment no big news, another turn with primer:

... some more radiators:

... more tires:

... and a first dash of colours:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Love those colours. Well picked.

And I know about trying to do everything the hard way. Much more satisfying if it works out and it teaches you how to become even better. More useful than trying to find shortcuts, which only makes you finish the job quicker (and that is not an objective in a hobby).

gilma

Post by gilma » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:10 am

Great details, the spats, the Radiator came out great, and very nice to see the colors.

Jean B.

Post by Jean B. » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:37 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:14 pm
Love those colours. Well picked. And I know about trying to do everything the hard way. Much more satisfying if it works out and it teaches you how to become even better. More useful than trying to find shortcuts, which only makes you finish the job quicker (and that is not an objective in a hobby).
Well said, true words :P Always looking for new challenges and working with so many different materials and techniques - that's what makes this hobby so diverting and thrilling at the same time :D
gilma wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:10 am
Great details, the spats, the Radiator came out great, and very nice to see the colors.
Thank you, the colours are still looking a little bit greenish/dirty due to the fact that this is only the first layer on the gray primer. Especially red and yellow paints - no matter of which type - are almost transparent and need always several repetitions to cover the base.

Good news, fellows: Today the detail-metal already arrived, and so I ran to my workbench to try it out. And yes, I'm so happy :P ! On the photos there may hardly any difference be seen, but believe me, those two nuances give a much better look over-all:

That's my set for casting metal.

And here's the silicone mould in action.

And here's the result:

The edges get much sharper, the surrounding is still somewhat difficult, but the lower edge now comes out with the right shape.