Hello From Peter - London .England

A forum to introduce yourself to the group
Bluesteel66

Hello From Peter - London .England

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Hello to you all . My name is Peter, I’ve recently registered with the forum. I have been a collector of model cars in various scales most notably 1/43 and 1/18 for many years. Having now the spare time to indulge more into my hobby. I hope to share with you some of my photos of my collection and motoring racing dioramas that I’ve constructed. I trying to refrain from making any more purchases but to enjoy what I have already acquired over the years. I bet you heard that before. :D
Yes temptation will probably get the better of me and , no doubt I’ll purchase something that pushes those boundaries . I’ve been a visitor to this forum in the distant past and been mightily impressed by the members collections and expertise that’s been shared amongst each of you. All very encouraging and positive stuff !!
I hope to gain knowledge and share my thoughts on many of the topics. The main eras I enjoy cover the period 1960- 1980. I also have a sizable collection of 1/18 scale models being Road-Race-Rally which I showcase with 1/43 in their respective Race Teams
What got me into this collecting lark …. a very early memory , was seeing two of my older brothers racing a Scalextric Ford Mirage around a track with two burning match sticks out the back, all the rage then crash and burn circa 1969-70 style…. and being bought at Christmas a silver Corgi James Bond Aston Martin DB5 the Goldfinger (1964) early 1970s corgi rubber tyres ,ejector seat version. All very action packed stuff ! . That’s showing my age .
I didn’t actually buy a true 1/43 model until late 1980s.Whilst passing and entering one of London’s famed model shops. St Martins Accessories. I had about 5 in total that was it, but the bug bit !!!
As years progressed the collection did. Got out of hand slightly ,as it always does , but got wise and I sold quite a lot off, down sized to a more manageable amount, and then focused on certain themes.
Then it grew again, I blame these manufacturers making more accurate models catering for the discerning collector :-) they really know how to bend ones arm . :)
My favourite models reflect the sports racing cars of the 1960s into early 1970s era, and like many members the Lola T70 MK3 is a race car I have a soft spot for especially seeing the real ones up close and racing. Brands Hatch, Kent being my local race circuit. Originally from North West England but now living in the same London Borough of Bromley from which the legendary Eric Broadley of Lola fame and the birth of the Ford GT and where he had his Lola workshop was located. I’ve always being interested in the history of the people behind the cars , the engineers, designers, craftsmen and drivers. My path crossed with the late , the great John Surtees only a year before he passed away, at an outdoor classic Motor sport charity event .Where he devoted some of his time to chat and provided me the opportunity to take a lovely photo of himself with my two sons, next to his winning 1966 CanAm Lola T70 spyder.
The stories of the men-women and machines always helps boost the interest and keeps it alive.
Well that’s a little bit about me so looking forward to sharing thoughts as time progresses
Kind Regards
Peter

Tom

Re: Hello From Peter - London .England

Post by Tom »

Welcome to S143 Peter!

Serafa

Post by Serafa »

Great introduction! Welcome to the party, Peter.
Follow me on Instagram @brimportcollection

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Welcome! I remember St. Martins very well. I always dropped some money there when I visited London. I think they may still sell models from a book store in Cecil Court.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Welcome Peter. I really like your philosophy of enjoying what you have and I'm looking forward to seeing your dioramas.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

Great to have you on board Peter - 60s and 70s sports cars will go down well with the masses :D
Martin

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Welcome to the forum Peter
Brands is my local too
And i know Bromley well having been born in and lived in the borough till my early 20s
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Welcome to the group. Peter. We are glad to have you and thank you for the great introduction.

Here is something you may enjoy.
Jeff

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

A very warm welcome Peter

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Hello eveyone thank you all for your kind replies and yes those Team Surtees Lolas are superb...cheers for now!

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Here's a liitle of what I like doing using a 40cm X 40cm board and some artistic licence for paddock display. :D work in progress
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom

Post by Tom »

That is great, lots to see!

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Very clever

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Looks fantastic.
Jeff

dcast

Post by dcast »

Hello and welcome. Nice diorama :)

Paulius43

Post by Paulius43 »

Hello and thanks for the presentation! Glad you decided to step in and participate, looking forward to seeing your dioramas!
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a model is worth a thousand pictures." Harley J. Earl
My concept car 1:43 collection: viewtopic.php?t=1096

Jager

Post by Jager »

I like that a lot. You pack a lot into a small display.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Goldenmanu

Post by Goldenmanu »

This Diorama Fantastic! Waiting to see more... :D
For playing football you need one ball, for piloting a race car you need two…

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Welcome Peter! Sounds like we share some common interests. I will look forward to your posts!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

Hello thank you again for the replies and warm welcome. It appears I definitely joined the right place to share my interests. Re the diorama , what I’m quite keen on is to make sure that the supporting vehicles are correct era to and suitable to surroundings they sit in . There’s plenty out there to find and I’ve accumulated quite a few which I will be keen to show.
What I’ll do is put them of the diorama thread . I have made up four sections for a 1967 Le Mans style paddock. Another seen I’m thinking is 1969 Ferrari team with a 1967 Fiat Dino coupe in it with the Ferrari 312Ps . Oxford Diecast do a particularly good Morris J2 1/43 RAF . Which has inspired me to locate a metal roof rack and modify as a support vehicle for Aston Martin DB4 team 1961. Other set ups In near future is a 1974 era Matra Simca team along with Gulf Ford Mirage GR6 and Maserati Ligier Team .All the best wishes!

Tom

Post by Tom »

Great idea! You could use a Simca 1000, 1100 or 1301/1501 as vehicles in the Matra Simca team, all very popular at the time.

Bluesteel66

Post by Bluesteel66 »

My Ferrari paddock next door to the Lola one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom

Post by Tom »

All really credible and lively. Excellent.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Excellent! I love the Firestone truck!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com