Hi from Sweden

A forum to introduce yourself to the group
middlefingerup

Hi from Sweden

Post by middlefingerup »

Hi,

I’m Patrik and I’m “new” here. What I mean with “new” is that I’ve been in here for a while now but I haven’t made any posts or anything like that.

I’m located in the long country, lagom, Sweden that is. Lagom is a common Swedish word for just right. Like not to much nor not to little either. And that’s really how I see my collection.
I collect mainly Swedish drivers that competed in Le Mans over the years but some others too that caught my eyes.

It all started 1982, the year I was born. When I was just a couple of months old my grandpa bought me my very first diecast model car. A Mercedes-Benz W24 if I can remember correctly. That car didn’t survive long. But yet he still bought me more models. As I grew older I had a big collection. It was at that time scale 1/18 and only road cars. In my early 20s I sold them or threw them in the garbage because I thought I was to old for that. It wasn’t in my early 30s I understand that I never grew up entirely and I miss my car collection.
As a Le Mans fan, racing fan and a car fan I started to look for Le Mans car models. I realized scale 1/43 are much better. Besides car models I also collect sneakers. And like 1/18 they take up a lot of space, space I don’t really have. So I bought myself a couple of 1/43 models and six years later I haven’t regret my decision.

My dad have a big part of my motorsports interest. In the ‘90s he raced with a Volvo 240 Turbo in endurance racing, rally with a Volvo Amazon and rally cross with a couple of different cars. He also worked back in the days as a care salesman for Volvo. Oh yes, I got brainwashed to love Volvo ;-).
So it isn’t a big surprise that I’ve owned a couple of Volvos. 11 actually. Like my first model car, my first real car was a gift from my grandpa.

Real cars I’ve owned since I was 18 years old. In chronological order.
1. Volvo 480 Turbo 1988
2. Volvo 740 Turbo 1990
3. Renault Clio 16V 1991
4. Volvo S40 2.0T 2001
5. Volvo S60 2,5T 2003
6. Volvo V40 2,0T 2004
7. Ford Mondeo 2,0 TDCI 2009
8. Volvo V70 2,5T 2004
9. Volvo C30 D2 2010
10. Saab 9-3 Aero 2009
11. Renault Meganè CC 2010
12. Renault Meganè RS 2009
13. BMW 325d 2009
14. Volvo XC60 D4 2012
15. Volvo V60 D5 Ocean Race 2012
16. Volvo V70 D3 2014
17. Volvo XC70 D4 2016

That’s all of them. But my XC70 is a keeper tho, best Volvo car ever made IMO.

So here we are, 39 years old motorsports fan that collects scale 1/43 model cars.

Tom

Re: Hi from Sweden

Post by Tom »

Welcome to S143, looking forward to your collection thread!

Alex_W

Post by Alex_W »

Welcome!

dcast

Post by dcast »

Hello and welcome :)

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

Hi and Welcome.

If your dad raced those Group A Volvos he has my respect - we have a couple of them here in Australia for a few years.

Looking forward to seeing your collection.
Martin

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

Welcome to S143.

Jager

Post by Jager »

Hi Patrick, welcome from a fellow Le Mans fan. One of my favourite models is a Lola T70 in Swedish national colours I was inspired to buy after a holiday in Sweden a few years ago.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

reeft1

Post by reeft1 »

Welcome on board. Looks like you were keen on turbo’s in your earlier years!

middlefingerup

Post by middlefingerup »

Tom wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm
Welcome to S143, looking forward to your collection thread!
Thank you. Better late than never. I’m trying to figure out how to get my photos from Flickr etc. But my collection are coming soon.
Alex_W wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:50 pm
Welcome!
dcast wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:01 pm
Hello and welcome :)
GBOAC002 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:43 pm
Welcome to S143.
Thank you guys
Alfaholic wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Hi and Welcome.

If your dad raced those Group A Volvos he has my respect - we have a couple of them here in Australia for a few years.

Looking forward to seeing your collection.
Thank you and unfortunately he didn’t race Group A, it was a different class I believe. It was called Volvo original cup 8h. He DNF in every race tho. But yea, I like them too. I’ve ordered three Gr.A Volvos and they’re coming next year.
Jager wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:31 pm
Hi Patrick, welcome from a fellow Le Mans fan. One of my favourite models is a Lola T70 in Swedish national colours I was inspired to buy after a holiday in Sweden a few years ago.
Thank you. That Lola is my favorite too. I’ve been searching for it for quite some time now and finally I found it. So it’s one of latest addition to my collection. One of gems :)
reeft1 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:52 pm
Welcome on board. Looks like you were keen on turbo’s in your earlier years!
Thanks! Yea, but I was more a coincidence. I needed a car and my dad found one in my price range and it was a turbo. Not that I had something against that :lol:

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Sounds like you had no choice, you were born into a Volvo family.

Welcome to the group.
Jeff

105epaul

Post by 105epaul »

Welcome Patrik. Many of us on here are motorsport fans including myself. I have enjoyed my visits to Sweden, mainly for the Power Big Meet when it was held in Vasteras, then three years ago I went to it in Lidkoping. From that you can kind of tell that I like old American cars 8-) . I did once own a Volvo, back in about 1983 I had an 1800E coupe which I liked, well apart from its tendency to let water into the interior and that the heater was stuck on hot. Not good even in a British summer. Looking forward to seeing your models.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Welcome! Looking forward to your posts!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing Collection
https://www.oldirish.com/collection/models2.html

rotormotor

Post by rotormotor »

Welcome aboard the "boards'.
My name is originated from your neck of the woods but zero ancestry 8-)

Having owned (still one currently) a couple of turbo road weapons, I know well the appeal of the snail inspired boost under the go pedal.
Not sure of your handle choice however :?:
My motorsport buzz is clearly wankel themed, but pics of modelcars always welcome to the retinas..more colourful the better if not multi triangle powered :lol: :lol:
Lars

middlefingerup

Post by middlefingerup »

JSB33 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:43 am
Sounds like you had no choice, you were born into a Volvo family.

Welcome to the group.
105epaul wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:11 pm
Welcome Patrik. Many of us on here are motorsport fans including myself. I have enjoyed my visits to Sweden, mainly for the Power Big Meet when it was held in Vasteras, then three years ago I went to it in Lidkoping. From that you can kind of tell that I like old American cars 8-) . I did once own a Volvo, back in about 1983 I had an 1800E coupe which I liked, well apart from its tendency to let water into the interior and that the heater was stuck on hot. Not good even in a British summer. Looking forward to seeing your models.
Volvo P1800 is my favourite car, I would love too own one someday. So I'm quite jelaous of you ;-)
oldirish33 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:02 pm
Welcome! Looking forward to your posts!
Thank you :-)
rotormotor wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:43 am
Welcome aboard the "boards'.
My name is originated from your neck of the woods but zero ancestry 8-)

Having owned (still one currently) a couple of turbo road weapons, I know well the appeal of the snail inspired boost under the go pedal.
Not sure of your handle choice however :?:
My motorsport buzz is clearly wankel themed, but pics of modelcars always welcome to the retinas..more colourful the better if not multi triangle powered :lol: :lol:
Lars right? I think that name originates from germany, not really sure tho. But from what I can see is more my neck of the woods than where you live ;-)
Thank you btw!

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS »

Hi Patrick, You will I think enjoy it here.

Our only common link appears to be Le Mans as I've never been to Sweden and never owned a Volvo. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Looking forward to being educated on the Blue & Yellow and Volvos.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".