Optare Delta - Northumbria

Galaxy Gaz

Optare Delta - Northumbria

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sun May 06, 2018 4:43 am

This rather nice looking bus comes from Corgi in 1/76th scale.

It is an Daf /Optare Delta that was operated by my local bus company, Northumbria Motor Services. The Optare Delta was a single-decker bus body produced for the DAF SB220 chassis and Northumbria operated a large number of these.
Fleet number 251 (G251SRG) was new to Northumbria Motor Services in November 1989, and was the first of a batch of four Optare Delta vehicles ordered by the company which were numbered 251 to 254. The batch was Northumbria's first full-sized single deckers purchased, and being the first, the company specified a number of additional features to enhance the vehicles which included; Hanover digital flip-dot displays above the windscreen , additional grab poles and high-back coach seating. The batch lost their flip-dot displays in favour of roller-blind type displays within a few years.

Northumbria Motor Services was the northern part of the United Automobile Services company, which was split into two prior to privatisation of the National Bus Company in 1987. In 1994, its management-owned holding company, Proudmutual, passed to British Bus. Cowie PLC then bought United Automobile Services and British Bus in 1996, then a year later was rebranded as Arriva PLC.

Prior to the Arriva takeover in 1997, the Cowie fleets generally still traded under their pre-privatisation names with individual liveries. But when Arriva came on the scene, 251 was the first single-decker to be repainted into a new group livery for Arriva which consisted of an aquamarine base with a cream coloured semicircle at the front, with a thin line yellow skirt. Operating under Arriva Northumbria, 251 saw service at a number of its division's depots and it soon adopted the new fleet number of 4090. It operated out of Jesmond from January 1996 to November 1998, Alnwick November 1998 to July 2001 and Morpeth from July 2001 to February 2002. It then transferred to sister North East division Arriva Durham County in March 2002 where it operated out of Durham depot until August 2005. The Delta transferred to Darlington in August 2005 until it was ousted to the reserve fleet at Peterlee a month later. 251 was withdrawn from public service on 11th January 2006.

It was immediately purchased for preservation by two former Directors and major shareholders in Northumbria Motor Services, one of whom has went on to become Non-Executive Chairman of Optare Group. For two years the Delta underwent an extensive refurbishment program at Gardiners of Spennymoor. It made its debut on the rally scene on 21st September 2008 at Showbus, Duxford.

Still privately owned, the vehicle is now in storage and part of the fleet at THV.

With Daf grill badge whilst in service coming into Newcastle Haymarket

After restoration, now with Optare badging
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Tom

Re: Optare Delta - Northumbria

Post by Tom » Sun May 06, 2018 5:08 am

Nice model, if a little small.

This is what we got on the SB220 chassis.
These are still in use here.

Arriva also operates in parts of The Netherlands. I travelled by Arriva bus frequently for my old job.

Jager

Post by Jager » Sun May 06, 2018 5:56 am

Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:43 am
The Delta transferred to Darlington in August 2005 until it was ousted to the reserve fleet at Peterlee a month later. 251 was withdrawn from public service on 11th January 2006.

Judging by the dust and the cobwebs, I'm guessing this is an authentic reproduction of the bus after it was retired from service :D .
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Sun May 06, 2018 6:27 am

Jager wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:56 am

Judging by the dust and the cobwebs, I'm guessing this is an authentic reproduction of the bus after it was retired from service :D .
Cheeky b`stard arent ya :lol: :lol:

Believe it or not , that had been polished before I took the pics . I also use these to give it a once over before taking the pics so I have no idea why that pic looks as it does.......must be the fantastic camera in my Samsung phone picking up every minute detail :lol:

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

LUW

Post by LUW » Sun May 06, 2018 7:12 am

Nice make-up set. But I thought the bus you rode to school was shorter?
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:30 am

Did you ever ride that Bus?
Jeff
ImageImage