Re: Andy's additions in 1/18

Post by scalainj » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:44 am

Tom wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:46 am
See above. :lol: Livery is nice too.
Cheers Tom.
That's the last of them for now at least
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Andy, have you seen Ottomobile's upcoming models?

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B184E64

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:00 pm

I have Tom thanks. I think i'll be ordering that set though where i'll put them is another issue
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:08 am

The Triumph Dolomite was introduced in October 1971 as a replacement for the Triumph Vitesse and utilised the longer bodyshell of the front wheel drive Triumph 1500, but with the running gear from the rear-wheel drive Triumph Toledo. Unfortunately due to strikes the car did not go into production until a full year later but when it was released it came with the 91hp 1850cc in line four and because it was aimed at the compact luxury sector it had a high level of standard equipment including twin headlamps, a clock, full instrumentation, luxury seats and carpets, a heated rear window, and a cigar lighter.

The Sprint appeared in 1973 to compete with others in the class such as the BMW 2002 which had a performance advantage. Fitted with a 16 valve cylinder head designed by Spen King and his team, the engine capacity was increased to 2 litres which developed 127hp although test engines regularly made 150hp on the dyno. This gave the car a top speed of just shy of 120 mph with a 0-60 sprint time of 8.4 seconds and to handle the extra power the car was fitted with an uprated drivetrain, the gearbox and differential coming from the Triumph 2000, though with shorter ratio gears, plus uprated brakes and the option of a limited slip differential. Externally the car came with alloy wheels, a vinyl roof, front spoiler, twin exhausts and lowered suspension. The first 2000 cars were only offered in "Mimosa Yellow" with black trim , although further colours were available from 1974 on.
The Dolomite Sprint remained in production until 1980 with a production run of just shy of 23,000.

Cult Scale Models - Triumph Dolomite Sprint
Andy

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:15 am

That is fab, Andy. My uncle used to run an 1850HL and one of my neighbours had a proper Sprint in Magenta, which I loved. Still looking for a decent 1:43.

David MG

Post by David MG » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:15 am

Fantastic model of one of my favourite cars. If only I collected 1/18............................
Cheers,
David

David MG

Post by David MG » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:16 am

Tom wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:15 am
That is fab, Andy. My uncle used to run an 1850HL and one of my neighbours had a proper Sprint in Magenta, which I loved. Still looking for a decent 1:43.
I'm looking for a yellow Spark too.
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:43 am

Tom wrote:
Couldn't agree more Tom. It's an excellent model and Cult have done the Dolomite proud
Can recommend the Spark in 43rd otherwise it's the Vanguards which isn't bad if you can find it cheap enough
David MG wrote:
Fantastic model of one of my favourite cars. If only I collected 1/18............................
Absolutely David. It's a super model almost worth breaking that rule for
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:07 am

The WRC in 1981 saw a new type of vehicle make it's appearance, the four wheel drive Audi Quattro, which the competition regarded as being both too heavy and too complex for rallying. Initially they were proved right for at the first rally of the season the Audi challenge expired with the first car failing on stage 1 and the other crashing out.
Two weeks later however in the snow of Sweden, Audi were back with a single entry for Hannu Mikkola & Arne Hertz who went on to prove the value of 4wd despite the weight and complexity to take the win by a little under 2 minutes. An new era had begun

Minichamps - Audi Quattro - 1981 International Swedish Rally - H.Mikkola & A.Hertz - 1st
Andy

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:09 am

You know I love these, fantastic model and still my favourite AudiSport livery.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:01 am

Tom wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:09 am
You know I love these, fantastic model and still my favourite AudiSport livery.
I do mate, as do I, especially this one the first WRC win 8-)
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:11 am

Released to celebrate 50 years since Ford won Le Mans in 1966, the new Ford GT was unveiled in 2015 at the North American International Motor Show and went into production for competition cars only for the Le Mans 2016 attempt.
Production of the road car started in December 2016 and it has a 3.5 litre twin turbocharged EcoBoost V6 engine giving 647hp and 550 lbft and the car features a carbon fibre monocoque bolted to aluminium front and rear subframes covered in carbon fibre body panels.
As it was primarily a competition car first it has pushrod suspension, active aerodynamics and a thinner windscreen to save weight.
The GT is capable of 0 - 60 mph in 2.8 seconds and has a top speed of 216 mph

GT Spirit - Ford GT
Andy

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:54 pm

Andy, just going back to your Dolly Sprint............what an engine, shame about the chassis!
I will admit to having owned x2 of these 1:1 scale, at separate times I may add. One BRG and the other Tahiti Blue.

The original "Q" car.

I can remember driving with a couple of mates, my BRG Sprint from London of a Friday night up to John O'Groats for breakfast Saturday morning, then down to Lands End for Sunday breakfast and then back to London for the evening. Great fun especially driving up in Scotland. Something called the Triumph Reliability Run. That was back in 1984, I believe Club Triumph still do this event every 2 years.

I will be very tempted with this model if it comes out in any of my colours. Looks very good indeed.
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

zimbo

Post by zimbo » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:50 pm

GT gets a thumbs up from me mate!! 8-)
Alistair

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:07 am

Dolly Sprint is nice. I couldn't afford it in 1:1 so made do with a fwd Triumph 1500 in Mallard blue. I was very envious of a chap in our small country town who had as a company car the Dolly in yellow then followed it with another in green.

Ford GT shape has been captured well but a V6..... :( I know someone who has a 2005 V8 GT and is awaiting delivery of a 1:1 so looking forward to seeing it in the metal and whether that might alter my perception of it.

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:40 am

The GT looks like a sharp model and the Quattro never disappoints, but the Triumph looks amazing.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:32 am

LM24HRS wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:54 pm
Andy, just going back to your Dolly Sprint............what an engine, shame about the chassis!
I will admit to having owned x2 of these 1:1 scale, at separate times I may add. One BRG and the other Tahiti Blue.

The original "Q" car.

I can remember driving with a couple of mates, my BRG Sprint from London of a Friday night up to John O'Groats for breakfast Saturday morning, then down to Lands End for Sunday breakfast and then back to London for the evening. Great fun especially driving up in Scotland. Something called the Triumph Reliability Run. That was back in 1984, I believe Club Triumph still do this event every 2 years.

I will be very tempted with this model if it comes out in any of my colours. Looks very good indeed.
Paul,
It's a superb model that i can highly recommend or to my mind a great car. When i was little before my Quattro fascination, the Dolly Sprint was the car to have
That's some drive in a short period. Did you get to see the scenery or was it just a blur in passing?
zimbo wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:50 pm
GT gets a thumbs up from me mate!! 8-)
Cheers fella 8-)
GBOAC002 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:07 am
Dolly Sprint is nice. I couldn't afford it in 1:1 so made do with a fwd Triumph 1500 in Mallard blue. I was very envious of a chap in our small country town who had as a company car the Dolly in yellow then followed it with another in green.

Ford GT shape has been captured well but a V6..... :( I know someone who has a 2005 V8 GT and is awaiting delivery of a 1:1 so looking forward to seeing it in the metal and whether that might alter my perception of it.
I'll bet Ian as the Sprint was the one to have. I recall one being on the potential purchase list by my Dad. He bought a SD1 instead :?

V6 delivers the power and performance but i do understand it the disappointment it's not a V8
Also compared to the original and the 2005 re-creation this car is a little bit clinical
Serafa wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:40 am
The GT looks like a sharp model and the Quattro never disappoints, but the Triumph looks amazing.
That sums them up nicely. The Dolly is the stand out model of the three
Andy

URQRR20V

Post by URQRR20V » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 am

Dear Herr Oberstumfuhrer. I now understand why it is no longer possible to meet inside your apartment when collecting my models...access is no longer possible with these additions of yours since Oct 2017. I would also like to say thanks as I no longer feel I am the only one sleeping in the bathroom in our house... :lol:

You caused me some concern when I saw your 911R in Nardo Grey with the yellow stripes; thank God for my spreadsheet which as you know is now back up to speed.

Hello GBOAC - thanks for the note - it has been a testing time offline but I didnt stop collecting and once I start the the new display area, I will post some pictures of the slight increase (understatement) in 1:18 models that have accrued.

Dear Alfaholic - resistance is futile - 1:18 is a mere stepping stone...then one looks into the abyss and sees ...1:12 scale beckoning...oh yes... :o

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:03 am

URQRR20V wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 am
Dear Herr Oberstumfuhrer. I now understand why it is no longer possible to meet inside your apartment when collecting my models...access is no longer possible with these additions of yours since Oct 2017. I would also like to say thanks as I no longer feel I am the only one sleeping in the bathroom in our house... :lol:

You caused me some concern when I saw your 911R in Nardo Grey with the yellow stripes; thank God for my spreadsheet which as you know is now back up to speed.

Hello GBOAC - thanks for the note - it has been a testing time offline but I didnt stop collecting and once I start the the new display area, I will post some pictures of the slight increase (understatement) in 1:18 models that have accrued.

Dear Alfaholic - resistance is futile - 1:18 is a mere stepping stone...then one looks into the abyss and sees ...1:12 scale beckoning...oh yes... :o
Indeed.
In order to get in now requires one to be fitter than a trained contortionist combined with all the skill and delicacy of a Japanese rice grain painter
Personally just open the front door and throw the latest purchase in ;)
Bathroom? Long time since i've seen that
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 am

The Alfa Romeo GT was based on the same platform as the 156 and 147 and shares their layout and mechanicals and in addition it shares a number of external parts with the 147 as well as it's dashboard, climate control and most of the electrical system. It was introduced at the 2003 Geneva Motor Show and went into production late that year ready for sale in 2004. Engine options ranged from a 18 petrol through to a 3.2 litre V6 petrol and included a 1.9 litre turbo diesel.

In 2004 the GT was voted the worlds most beautiful coupe in the annual L'Automobile più Bella del Mondo awards and it would go on to sell in excess of 80,000 units before production ceased in 2010

Welly - Alfa Romeo GT
Andy

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 am

I've driven a few of those and have nothing but warm feelings for them, wouldn't mind one for myself.
Welly have really stepped up their act, this looks great.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:17 am

Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 am
I've driven a few of those and have nothing but warm feelings for them, wouldn't mind one for myself.
Welly have really stepped up their act, this looks great.
Well from my experience i can highly recommend them. Good cars
I was pleasantly surprised upon receiving this. It is a budget model but for a little under £40 it's not bad at all
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:38 am

The 1984 Ivory Coast Rally was part of the WRC for drivers only and consequently neither Lancia or Peugeot decided to compete leaving the rally open to Audi who brought two cars, an A2 for Hannu Mikkola & Arne Hertz and a brand new Sport Quattro S1 for Stig Blomqvist & Bjorn Cederberg.
After 3 stages the Audis led 1-2 with the Sport Quattro 5 minutes to the good and both Audis 50 minutes to the good on the third placed car and there it stayed with Blomqvist and Cederberg taking the win which meant Blomqvist took the 1984 Drivers Championship and Audi had their first win with the Sport Quattro.

Otto Models - Audi Sport Quattro S1 - 1984 Ivory Coast Rally - S.Blomqvist & B.Cederberg - 1st
Andy