Re: Andy's additions in 1/18

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

TWR began working with BL in 1982 after preparing the Dakar winning Range Rover that year and would ultimately go onto to win Le Mans and the WSC for Jaguar. Initially however the team was focused around touring cars with both the Jaguar XJ-S and Rover Vitesse being prepared and run by TWR, the former in the ETCC and the latter in the BTCC, taking the championship in 1983 & 1984 although the former was later rescinded. With Jaguar concentrating on Group C from 1985, the Rover Vitesse became the TWR car for the ETCC as well and the season got off to a fine start with 3 wins in a row but ultimately Rover came 5th in the manufacturers championship and 3rd in the drivers championship.
TWR returned to the ETCC in 1986 with a three car team with the normal roster of drivers but in addition Denny Hulme made an appearance on a couple of occasions, firstly at Misano where he was disqualified for excessive cooling in the pits, then at Brno where paired with Jeff Allam he came 5th,then Zeltweg ( same pairing - 19th), the the Spa 24 Hours (same pairing but with Armin Hahne - 6th) before pairing up again with Allam for his final season outing at the Tourist Trophy at Silverstone.
They would qualify 5th but would come home first after 107 laps being pushed hard by the Schnitzer 635 and a certain Mr.Walkinshaw's Rover.
Rover would go on to finish 4th in the manufacturers championship and 2nd in the drivers championship however at the end of the year they withdrew from touring car racing.
The car, chassis 014 is still in existence and remains in this livery.

Minichamps - Rover Vitesse - 1986 Tourist Trophy Silverstone ETCC - D.Hulme & J.Allam - 1st
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Tom

Post by Tom »

What a great-looking racer!

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Great addition Andy! Love the TWR and Hulme connection!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Tom wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:57 am
What a great-looking racer!
That's what i thought 8-)
oldirish33 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:41 am
Great addition Andy! Love the TWR and Hulme connection!
Thanks Jerry.
It pretty much has it all when the result is taken into account as well
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

The Ferrari GTO or 288GTO was essentially a homologation special of the 308GTB born out of a necessity to enhance the road car range in the face of falling sales. Ferrari had already looked at turbocharging and had developed the 208 Turbo with and engine that fitted into the new under 2 litre Italian tax structures but it was fragile and temperamental so they turned to Nicola Materazzi who had previous forced induction experience.
Under him the 308s 2.9 litre was modified & turbocharged and placed in the 308 shell longitudinally which necessitated a 200mm lengthening of the wheelbase with styling enhancements to accommodate this including the wings being flared and larger spoilers front and rear with the new panels being made from a combination of fibreglass, kevlar and carbon fibre.
The outcome was an engine that could produce 395hp and 366 lb/f of torque which propelled to GTO to 189 mph with 0-60 sprint taking 5 seconds.
272 were built with all bar one of them being red, the other being black. However in 1983 one of the prototypes was sold to the Ferrari dealer in Modena who had the car re-painted in yellow in honour of the city. They held onto it until 2007 when as part of the 60th anniversary celebrations of Ferrari the car was auctioned and sod for a little over half a million euros.

KK Scale - Ferrari 288GTO
Andy

David MG

Post by David MG »

Superb! It looks almost as good in yellow as it does in red.
Terrific model.
Cheers,
David

Tom

Post by Tom »

I've always loved the 308 on steroids. Fantastic model.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

I've always thought the lines of that car were much better than the 308. Something special about a Ferrari in yellow!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Goldenmanu

Post by Goldenmanu »

Fantastic this 288, one of my favourite's Ferrari ever!
For playing football you need one ball, for piloting a race car you need two…

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

Another "If I won the lottery" job! Strangely like many great looking Italian cars the car magazines' road impressions of the 288 were always lukewarm.

Fabulous model and one I sold - mine was red - when rationalising my collection down to 1:43.