OIR on a larger scale

Jager

Re: OIR on a larger scale

Post by Jager »

JSB33 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:32 am
Goldenmanu wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:33 am
This Race Transporter looks really Great! I am waiting till appears in 1/43...
I am afraid you missed it, it has been around probably 10 years.
It has, but given they sell for about US$300 each, I'm thinking there is probably a strong case for CMR to make a less detailed version at a lower price point.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom »

They'd have me as a very grateful customer if they did. I'm not spending $300 on a model.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Would I Buy Another One? Tecnomodel Jaguar D-Type, 1957 Le Mans: I took the plunge and bought the Technomodel Ecurie Ecosse D-Type Jaguar that finished 2nd at Le Mans in 1957. I needed it to go on my Ecurie Ecosse transporter. :D I bought it because a) there are no other 1/18 models of this particular car, or likely to be; b) based on Tecno models I have bought in the past, it should be quality model c) I am a D-Type Jaguar junkie. It is indeed a quality model from the lines, finish and visual result, but I feel a bit let down by the total package.

First, I have to give Tecnomodel credit, they have captured the lines of the long-nose D-Type perfectly! The lines and the stance are accurate and truly what made the long-nose cars look like thoroughbreds compared to the competition. The finish on the model is flawless as far as I can tell and well detailed even though it is a curbside model with no opening features. What bothers me is the color. Now Ecosse Flag Blue is like British Racing Green, you see many shades. However, knowing that it was painted by EE and having seen original EE cars, it should be a darker blue. Two shades maybe? Its a beautiful blue and looks darker in pictures, but I don't think its quite correct and may be more reflective of the car as it was restored in more recent times. Unfortunately, most contemporary pictures are black & white and you can't rely on the rare color ones from that era to be true. However, in those it does seem to be darker.

I think the interior also lets this model down slightly. While the gauges are well detailed and crisp as they should be in this scale, the steering wheel rim is too thick. The seats look more like rubber than leather and the color there too is off. It has more blue in it than it should. I also have never seen a D-Type that had its transmission/drive train tunnel painted body color. They were either bare metal, and/or had trim in the seat color around the transmission hump. Comparing it to the CMC D-Type I have, they did a much better job at a significantly lower price point. But is this all niggling. Will the average collector know or care?

This car (Chassis XKD 603) was raced at Le Mans three times from 1957-1959 by Ecurie Ecosse. In 1957 where it finished second behind its sister EE D-Type, was its best finish. In that race it had a 3.4L DOHC six-cylinder, triple Webber carburetor engine compared to the winning car's 3.8L fuel injected engine car. By 1957, the D-Type was past its prime, but the EE strategy was to let the faster cars wear themselves down and out. This is exactly what happened as the first two hours of the race were run like a F1 race rather than an endurance race. This let the cars from Scotland slowly work their way to the front and use their reliability to build an unassailable lead. Despite the D-Type being past its prime, Jaguars finished 1-2-3-4 and 6th at Le Mans in 1957. Not bad for old crocks! After Le Mans, this car was converted to a 3.0L engine as per regulations. It raced well on into old age in America before returning back to the UK.

I originally didn't intend for this post to be a review, but thought it might help anyone else looking at buying one. Would I buy it again? That's a hard question because I really like the model and wanted this car in particular. Not feeling I want to spend the amount of money on one of the other versions (1955 Cunningham and Le Mans winner), the answer is probably yes. However, that is with some reluctance and some might want to wait to see if they come out with the 1957 Le Mans winner if that suits you better. Oh, and it does look good on the transporter! :D

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

No justification needed to buy another example of the most beautiful racer ever IMO. Rest assured that given budget and room, I'd be ordering these yesterday... the model looks amazing and the colour is very close to that of the car in the Louwman Museum. Must be extremely satisfying to hold this in your hand.

Jager

Post by Jager »

I think we can all relate to receiving a model that doesn't quite measure up to our expectations. That's unfortunately one of the downsides of our hobby today where so many purchases are made 'sight unseen'.

In terms of the colour, I guess the best gauge is how does it look when its on the transporter alongside your other D-Type?

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

So many misses when it comes to color. You have to wonder what the maker is thinking when this happens, what is the rational that goes into this final choice?

Shame as the rest of it is so wonderful.
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

The color difference is not as clear in these photos because of light and reflection, etc., but the #15 car is a shade or two light compared to the other D-Type and transporter. In fairness to makers like Tecnomodel, I think they try to be accurate, but rely on restored examples of cars and most likely use contemporary photos of the subject. I think even if possible, close examination of each subject in person, by experts, etc. would make models cost prohibitive due to the added costs. In my opinion, there is a trade off between complete accuracy and having a variety of model subjects at costs which already are high enough.

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

I'd not question the colours, but try to keep my drool off those models.