OIR on a larger scale

Jager

Re: OIR on a larger scale

Post by Jager »

JSB33 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:32 am
Goldenmanu wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:33 am
This Race Transporter looks really Great! I am waiting till appears in 1/43...
I am afraid you missed it, it has been around probably 10 years.
It has, but given they sell for about US$300 each, I'm thinking there is probably a strong case for CMR to make a less detailed version at a lower price point.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

Tom

Post by Tom »

They'd have me as a very grateful customer if they did. I'm not spending $300 on a model.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Would I Buy Another One? Tecnomodel Jaguar D-Type, 1957 Le Mans: I took the plunge and bought the Technomodel Ecurie Ecosse D-Type Jaguar that finished 2nd at Le Mans in 1957. I needed it to go on my Ecurie Ecosse transporter. :D I bought it because a) there are no other 1/18 models of this particular car, or likely to be; b) based on Tecno models I have bought in the past, it should be quality model c) I am a D-Type Jaguar junkie. It is indeed a quality model from the lines, finish and visual result, but I feel a bit let down by the total package.

First, I have to give Tecnomodel credit, they have captured the lines of the long-nose D-Type perfectly! The lines and the stance are accurate and truly what made the long-nose cars look like thoroughbreds compared to the competition. The finish on the model is flawless as far as I can tell and well detailed even though it is a curbside model with no opening features. What bothers me is the color. Now Ecosse Flag Blue is like British Racing Green, you see many shades. However, knowing that it was painted by EE and having seen original EE cars, it should be a darker blue. Two shades maybe? Its a beautiful blue and looks darker in pictures, but I don't think its quite correct and may be more reflective of the car as it was restored in more recent times. Unfortunately, most contemporary pictures are black & white and you can't rely on the rare color ones from that era to be true. However, in those it does seem to be darker.

I think the interior also lets this model down slightly. While the gauges are well detailed and crisp as they should be in this scale, the steering wheel rim is too thick. The seats look more like rubber than leather and the color there too is off. It has more blue in it than it should. I also have never seen a D-Type that had its transmission/drive train tunnel painted body color. They were either bare metal, and/or had trim in the seat color around the transmission hump. Comparing it to the CMC D-Type I have, they did a much better job at a significantly lower price point. But is this all niggling. Will the average collector know or care?

This car (Chassis XKD 603) was raced at Le Mans three times from 1957-1959 by Ecurie Ecosse. In 1957 where it finished second behind its sister EE D-Type, was its best finish. In that race it had a 3.4L DOHC six-cylinder, triple Webber carburetor engine compared to the winning car's 3.8L fuel injected engine car. By 1957, the D-Type was past its prime, but the EE strategy was to let the faster cars wear themselves down and out. This is exactly what happened as the first two hours of the race were run like a F1 race rather than an endurance race. This let the cars from Scotland slowly work their way to the front and use their reliability to build an unassailable lead. Despite the D-Type being past its prime, Jaguars finished 1-2-3-4 and 6th at Le Mans in 1957. Not bad for old crocks! After Le Mans, this car was converted to a 3.0L engine as per regulations. It raced well on into old age in America before returning back to the UK.

I originally didn't intend for this post to be a review, but thought it might help anyone else looking at buying one. Would I buy it again? That's a hard question because I really like the model and wanted this car in particular. Not feeling I want to spend the amount of money on one of the other versions (1955 Cunningham and Le Mans winner), the answer is probably yes. However, that is with some reluctance and some might want to wait to see if they come out with the 1957 Le Mans winner if that suits you better. Oh, and it does look good on the transporter! :D

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

No justification needed to buy another example of the most beautiful racer ever IMO. Rest assured that given budget and room, I'd be ordering these yesterday... the model looks amazing and the colour is very close to that of the car in the Louwman Museum. Must be extremely satisfying to hold this in your hand.

Jager

Post by Jager »

I think we can all relate to receiving a model that doesn't quite measure up to our expectations. That's unfortunately one of the downsides of our hobby today where so many purchases are made 'sight unseen'.

In terms of the colour, I guess the best gauge is how does it look when its on the transporter alongside your other D-Type?

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

So many misses when it comes to color. You have to wonder what the maker is thinking when this happens, what is the rational that goes into this final choice?

Shame as the rest of it is so wonderful.
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

The color difference is not as clear in these photos because of light and reflection, etc., but the #15 car is a shade or two light compared to the other D-Type and transporter. In fairness to makers like Tecnomodel, I think they try to be accurate, but rely on restored examples of cars and most likely use contemporary photos of the subject. I think even if possible, close examination of each subject in person, by experts, etc. would make models cost prohibitive due to the added costs. In my opinion, there is a trade off between complete accuracy and having a variety of model subjects at costs which already are high enough.

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

I'd not question the colours, but try to keep my drool off those models.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

A Big Cat

1982 Jaguar XJ6 - LS Collectibles: I have a huge soft spot for Jaguar XJ sedans and this model is a reminder of ones we have enjoyed in the past, as well as anticipation of one that may join our stable in the near future. I have missed having a large Jaguar sedan for its quiet smooth ride, along with its superb road manners and good looks. Since the majority of our kids now live a minimum of three hours away, I have gotten the urge to have another XJ for making those trips up and down the interstate, instead of driving the truck or one or our SUV's. Now that I have room to park it inside and my wife is accomodating, I think it's time.

The final Series of XJ sedans produced by Jaguar before Ford's ownership, the Series III XJ appeared in 1980 until 1987. The Series III was replaced by the XJ40 in 1988, however, the XJ12 carried on this bodystyle until 1991. This model is of a fuel-injected 4.2L DOHC six-cylinder XJ6 (a 3.4L six was available in some markets) and most likely a North American market car. This model is listed as a 1982 model year car, but there were no major model changes during the Series III run, just interior and exterior colors and combinations.

This was my first model from LS Collectibles and I think on balance they have done a super job in capturing the XJ6 Series III model, even though it is not accurate in some details that most collectors won't know. I was taken with the color, although it is the wrong shade of metallic British Racing Green for a early production Series III car. The black interior is also incorrect as black was not a standard color on green cars, but could be ordered. The color appears to be closer to Jaguar Racing Green, a color from 1987 to 1991, with a charcoal interior. This appealed to me as I am considering the purchase of a 1991 V12 car in this exterior color.

In my admittedly prejudiced eye, the Pininfarina makeover of the Series III XJ sedan produced one of the most lovely sedans ever produced.

These mesh BBS wheels, while Jaguar in origin were never fitted to the XJ sedan. It is a wheel from the XJ-S and like many owners (including myself) were fitted to their XJ sedans to give it a sporty look, as well as fit a taller (16") and/or wider tire. The car they used to make the model from must have been such a car. You can see from the front on shot that the tire slightly exceeds the wheel arches. This is accurate for cars fitted with these wheels. Purists be damned, I like the look! :D

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Tom

Post by Tom »

A superb model. While I love the S1-3 XJs, my current favourite is an X300.

Jager

Post by Jager »

I thought most collectors bought the 1:1, then looked for the model afterwards :D .

Good luck in your search for the V12.

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

XJs had a mixed press in the 'States. Can't remember if it was for build quality or reliability. Probably both! Looks very impressive in 1:18.

I'm a fan of Series 1 (Arguably the Best car in the World in 1969) in 6 cyl and 12 forms having driven both. Have never owned either thanks to their thirst for petrol and maintenance costs.

As I've mentioned before I'm still waiting for a diecast metal Series III saloon. Come on Corgi/Vanguards or Maxichamps! There are Jag fans waiting for 1:43 SIII and XJ40 in metal!

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

GBOAC002 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:14 am
XJs had a mixed press in the 'States. Can't remember if it was for build quality or reliability. Probably both! Looks very impressive in 1:18.

I'm a fan of Series 1 (Arguably the Best car in the World in 1969) in 6 cyl and 12 forms having driven both. Have never owned either thanks to their thirst for petrol and maintenance costs.

As I've mentioned before I'm still waiting for a diecast metal Series III saloon. Come on Corgi/Vanguards or Maxichamps! There are Jag fans waiting for 1:43 SIII and XJ40 in metal!
By the time the Series III cars were introduced, many of the problems were behind Jaguar and they went from strength to strength as they sought to distance themselves from BL. It was after all, the car that saved Jaguar. I have never owned a Series I XJ, but currently have a Series II, which was the height of the production woes and have owned couple Series III cars. Night and day as far as production quality goes. The old adage of a Jaguar can pass anything but a gas station, is partly true. I have found that a properly sorted XJ is not bad on annual maintenance costs and get close to 20 mpg with the Series II on highway. I am surprised Corgi/Vanguards never released one.
Jager wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:57 am
I thought most collectors bought the 1:1, then looked for the model afterwards :D .

Good luck in your search for the V12.
Well partly true. :D It is part homage to the ones I've had and looking forward to the one I would like to acquire. A friend in Canada can no longer drive his 46,000 mile car. If they ever reopen the border and we can strike a deal on price, it will likely come here to live for awhile.
Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:28 pm
A superb model. While I love the S1-3 XJs, my current favourite is an X300.
I've had a couple Tom and they are wonderful cars. I think the 308 is a better car though and miss the one I sold. If I can't land the XJ12, I will likely look for another. Of the XJ's that I have owned, the XJC is still my favorite (only car I've owned twice), but couldnt live with it every day. My XJ40 was the best handling, but Bosch electrics let it down. My 308 Vanden Plas was the most elegant, comfortable and best cruising car. They have all been slightly different in terms of personality but delightful cars to own and drive.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

It is not hard to understand why you were drawn to this model, it is super impressive.
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

1964 Ferrari 250 GTO/64 - CMR 1/18: When GT homologation was refused the 250 LM by the FIA, Ferrari tasked Mauro Forghieri and Mike Parkes with designing new bodywork to the GTO, which would allow Ferrari to remain competitive in the GT class another year. Many of the design touches of the Pininfarina styled body of the GTO remained, along with clear 250 LM touches for better aerodynamics; although the performance enhancement was slight. Theses cars are known as the Series 2 GTO models, or 250 GTO/64's. Ferrari built three of these new cars and rebodied four older GTO's to the new body style. Still powered by the 3.0L Colombo V12 engine, the GTO/64 was competitive, although Ferrari no longer dominated the GT class. The 250 GTO/64 was the overall winner at Daytona in 1964, its greatest victory.

In anticipation of a show down with Ford, Ferrari had a total of 12 entries to contest the prototype and Gt classes at Le Mans in 1964. While Scuderia Ferrari concentrated on its new 275P, 330P and 250 LM prototypes, they left contesting the GT class to privateers like Maranello Concessionaires who entered this car for Innes Ireland and Tony Maggs to drive. Jackie Stewart was listed on the entry, but did not drive. The Ford battle for the prototype class and overall Le Mans win did not materialize, with Ferrari taking six of the top ten places. That included a 1-2-3 finish among the prototypes, and with three GTO's in the top ten. Ford's lone bright spot was the GT class win, with the Shelby Daytona beating out the GTO/64's for top spot. It was followed by the Equipe National Belge GTO, just ahead of this car which finished 6th overall and 3rd in Class after qualifying in 20th position. It was the last Le Mans for the GTO.

I think that CMR did a pretty nice job replicating the 250 GTO/64 when comparing it to pictures of the actual car. Its a closed body car with no opening features, but nice detail, color and they have captured the lines of the 1/1 car well. I bought this taking advantage of a recent sale and was happy to add what I think is my favorite Maranello Concessionaires Ferrari in a large scale with shipping at a new Spark 1/43 price. :D

Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

I was already excited enough about this weekend's LM race, but you have just taken it up a notch with this. Wonderful.
Martin

Tom

Post by Tom »

Stunning!

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Jerry is not messing around! :lol:
Jeff

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

JSB33 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:57 am
Jerry is not messing around! :lol:
I always take my Ferrari's seriously! :lol:
Tom wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 am
Stunning!
Thanks Tom, I couldn't pass it up. :D
Alfaholic wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:44 pm
I was already excited enough about this weekend's LM race, but you have just taken it up a notch with this. Wonderful.
Keeping fingers crossed that it is a good one with maybe a surprise or two. I would like something other than another Toyota in my Le Mans winners case. It is a stunning model if I do say so. :D
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall »

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for posting your photos and thoughts on the LS Jaguar XJ. It's looks lovely and I do appreciate your usual insights on accuracy etc. I actually have this same model here (since 2018) in the metallic red that LS offered. Like much of my collection, I have NEVER taken in out of the box, so I've never really seen it since it is not in a window box :oops: Am I beyond weird in my collecting style :shock: It's likely to remain that way for a year or more as I am between houses right now with nowhere to display. Again, thanks for sharing and giving some inspiration, BB
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

GarageOnAWall wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:07 am
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for posting your photos and thoughts on the LS Jaguar XJ. It's looks lovely and I do appreciate your usual insights on accuracy etc. I actually have this same model here (since 2018) in the metallic red that LS offered. Like much of my collection, I have NEVER taken in out of the box, so I've never really seen it since it is not in a window box :oops: Am I beyond weird in my collecting style :shock: It's likely to remain that way for a year or more as I am between houses right now with nowhere to display. Again, thanks for sharing and giving some inspiration, BB
Thanks Brooks. I can relate, as the bulk of my collection was stored for a couple years as we moved and waiting to build my shop. Good things come to those that wait! :D. Hope you are doing okay in light of the recent storms down south.
Jerry
Old Irish Racing

www.oldirish.com

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall »

oldirish33 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:10 pm
GarageOnAWall wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:07 am
Hi Jerry,

Thanks Brooks. I can relate, as the bulk of my collection was stored for a couple years as we moved and waiting to build my shop. Good things come to those that wait! :D. Hope you are doing okay in light of the recent storms down south.
Hi Jerry,

You're right, my collection looks about like yours before you built your garage-mahal 8-) Mine are all stored in a third-story loft at my Dad's place. At this point, I'm nowhere near the storms brewing in the Gulf. I'm on the NE Florida coast just south of Georgia, right on the beach. Fingers crossed nothing happens as hurricane season is a real threat until about mid-December with the very warm waters. We're just in for a Nor'easter this weekend...
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House