Re: Andy's additions in 1/18

LM24HRS

Post by LM24HRS »

Highly impressive AutoArt Quattro's. They just shout at you sitting there :shock:
Paul - "Collecting Motorsport in Miniature; for the passion and its history".

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Tom wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:11 am
The XR2 is a really cool, quick little hatch. Never a big seller here, I don't think I've seen 10 over the years. Much more successful in the UK.
Great model!
It was pretty successful here and certainly was nippy. I haven't seen one in years though, suspect what's left live a pampered life.
GBOAC002 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:02 am
These XR2s were indeed very popular in the UK but other models in the range were a mixed bag.

After being impressed in 1978 by a one litre Fiesta hire car which 'went like the clappers!' I decided in '79 to order a 1.3 Fiesta Ghia to my own spec.

Black with black vinyl roof with glass moonroof and Ghia alloys it really looked the 'biz' and would surely be quick too, and it was.

A big snag occurred when I opened the factory the push up glass sunroof. On the move it dragged in enough exhaust fumes through the tailgate to feel nauseous when driving the thing. So much for factory wind-tunnel testing that such a fundamental problem could only be found out by the customer...

I promptly sold it.
You rarely see a Mk1 Fiesta these days though there is one locally that makes an occasional appearance though it's not a XR2, possibly a Supersport.
Not good on the one you bought and can understand why you moved it on! A shame though
dcast wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:01 am
Nice Fiesta :)
When did Otto-Models change the material to ABS-plastic? Or was it always plastic instead of resin, which I though it was? Just wondering which material my Otto-Models red Opel Calibra is after all.
Thanks
It's Autoart who have changed to ABS, Ottos remain resin
oldirish33 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:36 am
Great looking model Andy!
Thanks Jerry
LM24HRS wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:53 pm
Highly impressive AutoArt Quattro's. They just shout at you sitting there :shock:
Was never the subtlest of cars and AA have captured that to a tee 8-)
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.
Road investment is so poor around here that instead of driving on the left, we get to drive on what's left

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Audi subjected the B3 80 to a major facelift in 1991 and the subsequent car was different enough to receive it's own designation, B4. Differences included an increase in wheelbase, repositioning of the fuel tank, a lager boot and a new front end along with an increase in specification. Available with a large array of petrol engines and a couple of diesels, it could also be ordered with quattro 4WD on any petrol engined variant which came as standard with a 5 speed gearbox. Perhaps little known is that Audi also made 2500 Quattro Competition variants for the homologation of their STW Touring car which featured a modified 2 litre engine plus the front bumper from an S2, the headlamps from the V6 a bodykit and a boot spoiler and this has today become quite sought after for its rarity.

Otto Models - Audi 80 Quattro Competition
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.
Road investment is so poor around here that instead of driving on the left, we get to drive on what's left

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

Excellent model Andy. The 1:1 is a timeless design that still looks as good as the day it was launched. Wasn't it's claim to fame the steel cable crash protection system?

I confess I concentrated on the coupe and convertible 80 in 1:43 by Schabak. The 'Lifestyle' colours made them particularly attractive adds.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I almost bought one of these in that same Laser Red. Excellent model, love it (but you knew that already) :)
Did you know that the 1:1 had two blocks in the boot that raised the spoiler to full Touring Cars spec? The 16V engine was a little 'nervous' in character, it essentially had no torque under 3000 rpm. Not a car for congested cities, but if you gave it some welly it really flew.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

GBOAC002 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:46 am
Excellent model Andy. The 1:1 is a timeless design that still looks as good as the day it was launched. Wasn't it's claim to fame the steel cable crash protection system?

I confess I concentrated on the coupe and convertible 80 in 1:43 by Schabak. The 'Lifestyle' colours made them particularly attractive adds.
Cheers Ian. It is a very handsome car though truth be told i prefer the B3 with it's tidier nose treatment.
You are correct it was. Procon 10 i think it was called
I do recall those and actually have Schabak 90 in the collection though it is in a sombre dark blue
Tom wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:00 am
I almost bought one of these in that same Laser Red. Excellent model, love it (but you knew that already) :)
Did you know that the 1:1 had two blocks in the boot that raised the spoiler to full Touring Cars spec? The 16V engine was a little 'nervous' in character, it essentially had no torque under 3000 rpm. Not a car for congested cities, but if you gave it some welly it really flew.
Yes i knew you'd like it Tom 8-)
They were most tempting but i actually went for B3 90 instead which was a fine car because as above i preferred the nose over the B4
I wasn't aware of the blocks. Is that where Alfa got the idea from on their 155 touring car a few years later?
Audi engine and nervous? Surely not but it was a homologation special :)
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

At the beginning of the year Kyosho released a brace of Panteras which appeared in this thread and one of those was chassis 2860 decked out in it's 1975 Le Mans colours. Latest release from them is the same chassis but this time in it's 1972 Le Mans colours.
Chassis 2860 was one of the 8 Group 4 Panteras built in 1972 and was campaigned in the 1972 season by Claude Dubois with Belgian drivers Jean-Marie Jacquemin & Yves Deprez who scored an impressive 7th at Spa on the cars debut.
Next up was Le Mans with the same driver pairing who qualified in a lowly 48th place and whilst they would have a trouble free race they essentially bumped along at the back of the pack gaining places as the cars ahead retired so by 6 hours in they were in 31st and by halfway 26th. They continued to climb reaching 20th 18 hours in and they would finally finish 16th overall after 282 laps some 24 laps off the class leader.
It was then not seen again until 1975 when it re-appeared still in the hands of Claude Dubois and was again entered for Le Mans and again finished 16th.
The car was sold to the Belgian Team Willeme and driven by Pierre Rubens in the 1976 Belelux series scoring two wins and two seconds before being sold on again in 1977 and this is where the trail goes cold although i found mention of it being in the US in 2005

Kyosho - De Tomaso Pantera Group 4 - 1972 Le Mans 24 Hours - J-M.Jacquemin & Y.Deprez - 16th
Andy

Tom

Post by Tom »

What a fantastic car and model!

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

What a great sound this must have made in anger.
Jeff

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Tom wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:54 am
What a fantastic car and model!
This 8-)
JSB33 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:05 am
What a great sound this must have made in anger.
Totally. I was at Castle Coombe many moons back on a track day and 3 Panteras turned up. They never made it past the noise limit test unfortunately but they sounded epic whilst doing the test
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

From the 1973 Nurburgring 24 hour comes this winning car from Niki Lauda & Hans-Peter Joisten which won by a margin of 27 km from its sister car. The race was unusual in that it was 2 8 sessions separated by a rest period of 8 hours. 7 of the top 8 places were taken by BMW and the fancied works Fords managed a third place only, the other not finishing.

Spark - BMW 3.0 CSL - BMW Alpina - 1973 Nurburgring 24h - N.Lauda & H.P.Joisten - 1st
Andy

Tom

Post by Tom »

If you want to add to your Jäger collection, this is the way to do it. Fab.

Simon

Post by Simon »

That's a stunner......I need to get a Jager BMW CSL in my collection!

This may fit the bill perfectly and be my first 1:18 Spark in my collection I think.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

That's a cracker Andy! Makes me regret that I don't have room for more 1/18 right now, would add one in a heartbeat!

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Tom wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:50 am
If you want to add to your Jäger collection, this is the way to do it. Fab.
Absolutely Tom
Jager CSLs are thin on the ground in 18 as well as 43rd so nice to add one
Simon wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:59 pm
That's a stunner......I need to get a Jager BMW CSL in my collection!

This may fit the bill perfectly and be my first 1:18 Spark in my collection I think.
Yes mate you do though the choice is limited. I can however highly recommend this
oldirish33 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:21 pm
That's a cracker Andy! Makes me regret that I don't have room for more 1/18 right now, would add one in a heartbeat!
Cheers Jerry
I know what you mean about space but this had to come home. Something else will have to leave though
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Audi arrived at the 1985 San Remo Rally with a single car for Walter Rohrl and Christian Geistdorfer following three weeks of intensive testing which meant the E2 could now run with and unlocked centre differential, had properly working water injection on the brakes and a throttle that was no longer an on/off switch. The testing showed, and whilst the Audi was beaten on the first four tarmac stages, once on gravel Rohrl showed his class with 12 fastest stage times in a row and by the time the gravel stages were over he had set 28 fastest times and had a 5 minute lead. For the 9 final tarmac stages he backed off apparently taking it easy, only winning the 1 stage but he still took the win by six and a half minutes.

Autoart - Audi Sport Quattro E2 - 1985 San Remo Rally - W.Rohrl & C.Geistdorfer - 1st
Andy

Tom

Post by Tom »

Drool.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Tom wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:55 am
Drool.
Does elicit that response doesn't it (if you are a fan of course)
Probably the best 1/18 model of this subject out there
Andy

URQRR20V

Post by URQRR20V »

When living in Sydney, I was very fortunate to buy this from the order specn chap at Audi Australia; he had ordered all the additional STW parts that eg Biela Used and Abt white dials etc plus 19" wheels. It was the 2.6 V6 with torque at the top end so needed alot of revving. Another one I should have kept :-(
scalainj wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:42 am
Audi subjected the B3 80 to a major facelift in 1991 and the subsequent car was different enough to receive it's own designation, B4. Differences included an increase in wheelbase, repositioning of the fuel tank, a lager boot and a new front end along with an increase in specification. Available with a large array of petrol engines and a couple of diesels, it could also be ordered with quattro 4WD on any petrol engined variant which came as standard with a 5 speed gearbox. Perhaps little known is that Audi also made 2500 Quattro Competition variants for the homologation of their STW Touring car which featured a modified 2 litre engine plus the front bumper from an S2, the headlamps from the V6 a bodykit and a boot spoiler and this has today become quite sought after for its rarity.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.