Re: Andy's additions in 1/18

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

A (nearly) 1st & last post

1981 saw the debut of the Quattro in the WRC although it had been seen as a course car in 2 national events towards the end of 1980. The Portuguese Rally was the third round of the season after Monte Carlo & Sweden and the second outing for Michele Mouton who had retired before the start in the Monte Carlo with contaminated fuel. She suffered exactly the same in Portugal though this time Audi were able to rectify it and Mouton brought the car home 4th to score Audi's first WRC points with the Quattro

Minichamps 1/18 - Audi Quattro - 1981 Rallye De Portugal - M.Mouton & F.Pons - 4th

Audi had been having fun at Pikes Peak since 1982 winning the Open Rally class in 82, 83 & 84 with the American rally driver John Buffam and then winning outright and setting a new record with 11.25 in 1985 with Michelle Mouton who incidentally was the first woman to do so and with 11.09 in 1986 with Bobby Unser which was another track record.
So in 1987 Peugeot also came to Pikes Peak in their 205 T16 with Ari Vatanen and Audi let loose against the latest incarnation of the Audi Sport Quattro S1 with 620hp and one Walter Rohrl. Vatanen beat the previous years record recording a time of 10.54 but Rohrl recorded 10.47 to take the win. Neither had raced at Pikes Peak before.

Autoart - Audi Sport Quattro S1 Pikes Peak - 1987 Pikes Peak Hill Climb - W.Rohrl - 1st
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.
Road investment is so poor around here that instead of driving on the left, we get to drive on what's left

Tom

Post by Tom »

If you have to exacerbate your display space shortage, this is the absolute best way to do it. Two amazing models, the Pikes Peak monster is one of my all time favourite rally cars and an A1 in full livery on Fuchs is just excellent.

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Those are incredible looking models!
Jerry
Old Irish Racing Collection
https://www.oldirish.com/collection/models2.html

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

Cracking models.

Coincidently I just been reading an older issue of Automobilsport magazine that profiles the Audi WRC programme. Wonderful cars that they were, the impression I got was that there was a fair bit of mismanagement and lack of experience in the upper echelons of the team that potentially prevented them from being even more successful. Very un-Audi like.
Martin

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Tom wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:04 am
If you have to exacerbate your display space shortage, this is the absolute best way to do it. Two amazing models, the Pikes Peak monster is one of my all time favourite rally cars and an A1 in full livery on Fuchs is just excellent.
Absolutely Tom. Space constraints mean only the very best 18s make there way home now and these two are those 8-)
oldirish33 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:46 am
Those are incredible looking models!
Much as love 43 and i do love it, 18s have a presence that even the finest 43rd struggle to match
Alfaholic wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:52 pm
Cracking models.

Coincidently I just been reading an older issue of Automobilsport magazine that profiles the Audi WRC programme. Wonderful cars that they were, the impression I got was that there was a fair bit of mismanagement and lack of experience in the upper echelons of the team that potentially prevented them from being even more successful. Very un-Audi like.
Totally. Perhaps not surprising i have the ultimate book on these and it takes no prisoners about the make it up as you go long nature of the team. You have to remember that there was virtually no motor sport experience particularly rally wise in Audi in 1980 so they formed a team mainly from the Quattro development team and went rallying learning as they went.
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.
Road investment is so poor around here that instead of driving on the left, we get to drive on what's left

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

So another 18 and this qualifies (IMO of course) as they very best.

Aston Martin introduced the new Vantage in 2018 replacing the previous generation that had been in production for 12 years. It utilises Mercedes Benz hardware in the form of the 4 litre twin turbo V8 engine which develops a little over 500 hp and lb/ft of torque plus MB electronics and a ZF 8 speed and shares its platform with the DB11 though 70% of its components are unique to the Vantage.

Autoart - Aston Martin Vantage
Andy

Tom

Post by Tom »

A beautiful shape, shame that the iconic grill has meen replaced by a black hole. Fab model.

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR »

Great addition, Andy!

A gorgeous model of a beautiful car! :)
-Julio-

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

No mistaking it for anything but an Aston!
Jerry

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Tom wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:54 am
A beautiful shape, shame that the iconic grill has been replaced by a black hole. Fab model.
It is that Tom though i still prefer the previous generation. Make you right on the grille. Too much i think, like a basking shark....
DeadCanDanceR wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:37 am
Great addition, Andy!

A gorgeous model of a beautiful car! :)
Thank you Julio 8-)
oldirish33 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:52 am
No mistaking it for anything but an Aston!
Indeed not Jerry. Cannot be anything else
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj »

Lamborghini introduced the Islero in 1968, at the same time as the Espada, as a replacement for the 400GT and it was essentially re-body of that car utilising the same V12 in a 2+2 body which was built for Lamborghini by Carrozzeria Marazzi. With 325hp and a 5 speed manual the Islero could top 150 mph and hit 60 in a little over 6 seconds and would only remain in production for 2 years with 125 being built

Cult Scale Models - Lamborghini Islero
Andy

Tom

Post by Tom »

That looks amazing, beautiful car and model and a very classy colour. Cult makes some fab models, very tempting.

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 »

Everything here is drool worthy, the shape, the color and the goodness of the model.
Jeff

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic »

While having breakfast on New Year’s Day we were sitting close to a couple who were discussing loudly how boring most cars were these days when it came to colour (they drove a red Tesla). While the usual matte colours and greys came in for a shellacking, they reserved their full venom for brown cars - I wish I had these photos at that time to set them straight. :D
Martin

oldirish33

Post by oldirish33 »

Yes, I'll take that! I have been generally pleased with Cult models, this one looks fantastic, even in brown! :D
Jerry

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall »

Absolutely spectacular in every way :shock: What a striking side profile illustrating the hood/boot proportions. Color is perfect as is the model itself. At times I want another Cult Scale 1:18 model (I only have 2) and then I see the price, but this looks worth every last cent. Stellar way to start 2022 Andy 8-)
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR »

That’s spectacular! :o

Wonderful looking model of an underrated Lambo!
-Julio-

GBOAC002

Post by GBOAC002 »

A superb rendition of the 'un-loved' 'plain Jane' Lambo. One of the LCUK members had their Espada painted the same colour. Way back in 1999 five Isleros were assembled for an Auto Italia event at Brooklands. I recall yellow and a medium blue and a dark blue example. At one Goodwood a silver Islero 'S' was on view. Because of their rarity they always get my attention.

It seems strange that with the other designs (350/400GT 2+2) being more flamboyant the Ferruccio should have given the green light for this plain shape to go forward to production. It was said he was a big fan of English Aston Martin and wanted something more classy and understated to compete in that 'personal luxury' market?

Jager

Post by Jager »

I can only echo the comments of those above. Stunning model.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen