Opinions/Advice? 1:18 Resin Minichamps?

GarageOnAWall

Opinions/Advice? 1:18 Resin Minichamps?

Post by GarageOnAWall » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Need help from anyone who has seen or owns sealed 1:18 Minichamps resin cars?

I'm really smitten by the one photo I've seen online of the Rover SD1 Vitesse by Minichamps? Even at reduced sale prices this thing is NOT cheap :roll:

Want to know impressions of their quality, packaging etc?

Cult Scale Models ALSO makes an SD1 in sealed resin, but it's of an earlier standard car which lacks the appeal of the Vitesse. I do know the Cult Scale models are a little cheaper but are of excellent quality having owned several.

Thanks for any help or suggestions, BB
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

JSB33
Site Admin

Re: Opinions/Advice? 1:18 Resin Minichamps?

Post by JSB33 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:24 am

You might be better off spending that money on another Snapper :lol:
Jeff
ImageImage

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:52 am

I might be well placed to answer this.....

I have a number of resin sealed 1:18 Minichamps models, and have to say that I'm really impressed with all of the ones I have so far. Think the quality is good, they are solid and weighty, and the detailing impressive.

A good example is the BMW M2.....in my opinion a better model than GT Spirit's version, and one of my favourite models in my collection.

ImageDSCN4746 by Simon Pickard, on Flickr

And recently purchased this BMW 1602 and again detailing is very good.

ImageDSCN5209 by Simon Pickard, on Flickr

I assume the Rover will come in the same packaging. I have to say I was a little surprised with the RRP of the Rover, as it seems higher than previous sealed resin models from Minichamps.

I've always been a fan of the Rover SD1, and was tempted by the Cult version, but held off as I knew that Minichamps were bringing the Vitesse version out. As I've said above, having been more than happy with these Minichamps sealed resin models, I've not hesitated in ordering this Rover myself.

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:04 am

Update from my previous response.....seems this is going to be packaged differently;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-Vitess ... %7Ciid%3A1

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:59 am

JSB33 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:24 am
You might be better off spending that money on another Snapper :lol:
If I was talking about a 1:1 Rover, I would agree with you :lol: This version doesn't have BL build quality :P Down to 2 Snappers again, that seems to be the right balance ;)

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:03 am

Simon wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:04 am
Update from my previous response.....seems this is going to be packaged differently;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-Vitess ... %7Ciid%3A1
Thanks for the commentary Simon ! I'll take your thoughts to heart as you often buy brands/subjects that I also admire.

It's interesting that Minichamps Rover is packaged very similar to Ottomobile, GT Spirit and the like yet is has such a high RRP? Are they just being cheap? Perhaps putting the resources into the car itself? The photos of the car from the eBay auction do look rather becoming though :)

Do any of your 1:18 sealed resin Minichamps have serialization numbers? I would think at this price point they should be limited runs?

Cheers, BB

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 am

I have to say the pictures from Ebay certainly suggest that this is a higher quality model than my previous examples, which might explain the price increase. Bit like the AutoArt Signature series maybe. I noticed that the new Mac F1's are in these new boxes too, and are similarly higher priced.

Previous examples are not individually numbered.....they just come as 1 of 786 (blue M2). The Porsche 911 GT3 RS I've just got was the highest run so far (1 of 1002), the white BMW M2 the lowest (1 of 300).