Re: Andy's additions in 1/18

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:36 am

The only nice thing I can say about the pasta express is that , being from Otto , at least it wont rust

The trailer is much more appealing, but wheres the VW and Quattro to go with it ?
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Nice models, Andy! ;)

So, OTTO is still making models?
-Julio-

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:23 pm

Surely there's more to the story of the Trailer Andy - did it start life as a horse-box carrying an Argentinian Prince's polo ponies, before it was converted to a Trailer and used by Alain de Cadenet to transport his LM cars, and is now use by a 75yo second-hand car dealer to tow broken down Jaguars, behind a Vauxhall Astra 1.3.
Martin

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:07 am

GarageOnAWall wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:00 am
That trailer is VERY unexpected Andy :shock: However, I think Otto was very wise to do it and it looks to be well thought out! I have several 1:18 and 1:43 trailers - essential parts of any collection, particular for display !

Love your last two cars too! The same Rover here sitting in it's box on the other side of the room, yet to open :roll: Seeing your pics will have me checking it out tomorrow morning. I see Minichamps have since released a silver and red version. I think we got the best one :D

Alfa is just what we needed in 1:18. Seems to have sold out already at many of the usual sources :( Hopefully a restock or new color might appear?

I'm a little embarrassed to say I have been buying more 1:18s than 1:43 lately :oops: I love them both for different reasons but the subject matter just keeps getting better every year! Are you having this tendency as well :P That's buying 1:18 not getting better every year :lol: BB
Well when you see what came with it you may not be so shocked BB.
It's all metal other than the obvious so has a nice weight and feeling of solidity to it

Thanks and you really should unbox the Rover. Much as I like it in blue I found it difficult to decide which colour

Maybe on the Alfa. This release is 1500 but i understand it's been quite popular

Not really on the 1/18s. I like both scales a lot but purely on space reasons i lean more towards 43
Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:36 am
The only nice thing I can say about the pasta express is that , being from Otto , at least it wont rust

The trailer is much more appealing, but wheres the VW and Quattro to go with it ?
Well there is that i suppose :roll:

All in good time
DeadCanDanceR wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:22 pm
Nice models, Andy! ;)

So, OTTO is still making models?
Thanks Julio

Yes they are with a lot a recent new releses
Alfaholic wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:23 pm
Surely there's more to the story of the Trailer Andy - did it start life as a horse-box carrying an Argentinian Prince's polo ponies, before it was converted to a Trailer and used by Alain de Cadenet to transport his LM cars, and is now use by a 75yo second-hand car dealer to tow broken down Jaguars, behind a Vauxhall Astra 1.3.
All will be revealed Martin
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:22 am

The last factory Quattro in WRC
Audi came to the 1986 Portuguese Rally with a single Sport Quattro E2 this time fitted with a conventional 6 speed manual box for Walter Rohrl and Christian Geistdorfer and their rally lasted three stages, one of which they won, before they withdrew along with all the other factory teams and drivers due to the fatal accident on stage 3 involving the Ford RS200 of Joaquim Santos.
The German Audi factory team would never again field a Group B Quattro in rallying and would withdraw from the WRC before the end of the year

Otto Models - Audi Sport Quattro E2 - W.Rohrl & C.Geistdorfer - Withdrawn
Andy

British roads have history. Some were built by the Romans. British road investment being what it is, they have only been re-surfaced a few times since.

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:43 am

Droolworthy... Otto still makes fantastic models.
I would gladly make room in a display for the entire combo.

Alfaholic

Post by Alfaholic » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:47 am

Ah, now it all makes sense - a tow car up next?
Martin

carcollector

Post by carcollector » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Wow, wow and wow, what a beautiful addition this Audi Quattro is! :D

Serafa

Post by Serafa » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Utterly amazing!
On a scale from 0 to 10, you scored 11! :P

JSB33
Site Admin

Post by JSB33 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Gee, I wonder what is next? :lol:
Jeff
ImageImage

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:22 pm

No other words.....FANTASTIC !

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:42 am

Tom wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:43 am
Droolworthy... Otto still makes fantastic models.
I would gladly make room in a display for the entire combo.
They sure do Tom
I am trying to do exactly that 8-)
Alfaholic wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:47 am
Ah, now it all makes sense - a tow car up next?
Indeed it is a tow vehicle next :)
carcollector wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:18 pm
Wow, wow and wow, what a beautiful addition this Audi Quattro is! :D
Thanks Patrick
Serafa wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:46 pm
Utterly amazing!
On a scale from 0 to 10, you scored 11! :P
All thanks to Otto Bruno 8-)
JSB33 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:46 pm
Gee, I wonder what is next? :lol:
Very shortly you may cease wondering!
Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:22 pm
No other words.....FANTASTIC !
Not bad is it. Cheers Gaz
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:06 am

Volkswagen introduced the LT (Lasten-Transporter) light commercial in 1975 with a range of gross vehicle weights (LT28, 31 & 35) and at launch one engine option, a 2 litre petrol though that was soon joined by a 2.7 litre diesel. It featured a conventional rear drive with the engine at the front and a cab over design with independent front suspension which for the heavier versions (LT40, 45, 50 & 55) that were introduced later this was changed to a solid front axle to allow for the greater weight.
Facelifted in 1983 with a redesigned interior and the introduction of a 6 cylinder 2.4 litre petrol and 2.4 litre turbo diesels plus the option of a 3rd axle and four wheel drive the LT stayed in production until 1996 selling a little over 470,000 vehicles

Otto Models - Volkswagen LT45 - Audi Sport
Andy

David MG

Post by David MG » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:24 am

Now the trailer makes sense ;)
Cheers,
David

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:31 am

David MG wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:24 am
Now the trailer makes sense ;)
Yes indeed - here's the whole set

Otto Models - 1986 Rally Portugal - Audi Sport
Andy

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:50 am

Excellent.
I've driven quite a few of those LTs over the years (I moved myself here in one) and they're very strong if not comfortable.

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:50 am

Tom wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:50 am
Excellent.
I've driven quite a few of those LTs over the years (I moved myself here in one) and they're very strong if not comfortable.
Not bad is it!
It's one i've never driven - later variants and of course the ubiquitous Transit, Traffic and Sprinter but not one of these
Andy

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:52 am

See previously in blue

Minichamps - Rover Vitesse 3.5 V8
Andy

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:04 am

I'll eat my words Andy - SD1 looks spectacular in red too :shock:

While I do love the 'Moonraker' blue car, I would consider the red as well. I will safely say I don't think the silver will ever be as exciting as these two! I would also fancy a late series gold car with brown interior if ever offered!

Wonder if Minichamps will do an 825/827 :lol: I actually like those cars too, particularly the 5 door liftback, an exceedingly rare car in the US, even when new! Apparently a nightmare, perhaps worse than the early SD1s? How could any company mess up with Honda drivetrain :roll:

Another incredible 1:18 addition Andy...and the Otto 3 piece combo's not bad either 8-)
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:50 am

I have a 1:43 SD1 in red and have come to like it a lot, though red was not a typical SD1 colour here. It looks quite right on the car and this model is fantastic.

Unwrapping that huge box containing the Otto AudiSport set must've been a thoroughly enjoyable experience. What a fantastic trio of models, it deserves its own display. Some figurines to add to the display would be fantastic.

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:20 am

Vitesse looks outstanding too and quite attractive in red although I always thought the later cars looked naked without their side stripes. Ive never driven a Vitesse but can remember being very disappointed in the performance of the first 3500 V8 I did drive

GarageOnAWall wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:04 am

Wonder if Minichamps will do an 825/827 :lol: I actually like those cars too, particularly the 5 door liftback, an exceedingly rare car in the US, even when new! Apparently a nightmare, perhaps worse than the early SD1s? How could any company mess up with Honda drivetrain :roll:
Only the early 2.5 and range topping 2.7 V6 engines were Honda units which werent that bad , but the car got its reputation from the crappy Rover 2.0ltr 4 cylinder and later 2.5 V6 engines that regularly suffered head gasket failures . This was because Rovers engines were fitted with cylinder liners that werent particularly well made and were often not within the required tolerances so the engines often suffered from either over or under compression , hence the gasket failures. What made things worse is that Rover couldnt just replace the head gasket due to the liner problems, so they had to fit a new engine under any warranty claims :roll: . It was left to the Germans to eventually sort out when BMW t.ook over and redesigned the V6 and made it reliable . My ex`s father used to have a later Rover 75 V6 and it was a really nice car to drive and needed nothing but its regular servicing

GarageOnAWall

Post by GarageOnAWall » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 am

Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:20 am
Vitesse looks outstanding too and quite attractive in red although I always thought the later cars looked naked without their side stripes. Ive never driven a Vitesse but can remember being very disappointed in the performance of the first 3500 V8 I did drive

GarageOnAWall wrote:

Only the early 2.5 and range topping 2.7 V6 engines were Honda units which werent that bad , but the car got its reputation from the crappy Rover 2.0ltr 4 cylinder and later 2.5 V6 engines that regularly suffered head gasket failures . This was because Rovers engines were fitted with cylinder liners that werent particularly well made and were often not within the required tolerances so the engines often suffered from either over or under compression , hence the gasket failures. What made things worse is that Rover couldnt just replace the head gasket due to the liner problems, so they had to fit a new engine under any warranty claims :roll: . It was left to the Germans to eventually sort out when BMW t.ook over and redesigned the V6 and made it reliable . My ex`s father used to have a later Rover 75 V6 and it was a really nice car to drive and needed nothing but its regular servicing
Gary, in the US, the only way we received post-SD1 Rovers was with Honda engines (first 2.5, then 2.7 litre from 1987 to 1991). So there were ALL trouble ;) I recently bought the James Taylor book on these cars but have only skimmed over. As you've noted, the cars did get better later on. I rather like the Coupe version too, something we never got. And regarding the 75, that is an incredibly stylish car to my eyes. I particularly like the Estate, again, we never received those either. All we get over here are MINIs and Land Rovers :roll:
You Can LIVE in a Car, But You Can't DRIVE a House

DeadCanDanceR

Post by DeadCanDanceR » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:29 pm

That Rover looks fabulous in red! :o

Gorgeous model, mate!
-Julio-

scalainj
Site Admin

Post by scalainj » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:44 am

GarageOnAWall wrote:
I'll eat my words Andy - SD1 looks spectacular in red too :shock:

While I do love the 'Moonraker' blue car, I would consider the red as well. I will safely say I don't think the silver will ever be as exciting as these two! I would also fancy a late series gold car with brown interior if ever offered!

Another incredible 1:18 addition Andy...and the Otto 3 piece combo's not bad either 8-)
I agree BB. It's far better in the red than i expected it to be.
I may well get the silver as well purely because the old man had one

Funnily enough he also had a 5 door 827 so the model would be of interest and i can confirm from experience that this car was far more reliable than the SD1
Tom wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:50 am
I have a 1:43 SD1 in red and have come to like it a lot, though red was not a typical SD1 colour here. It looks quite right on the car and this model is fantastic.

Unwrapping that huge box containing the Otto AudiSport set must've been a thoroughly enjoyable experience. What a fantastic trio of models, it deserves its own display. Some figurines to add to the display would be fantastic.
Thanks Tom. Agree that red was not the typical colour for these but they do carry it well

It was a joy getting the set out of the box, particularly the LT. Good idea on the figures and you aright about the display. Working on that
Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:20 am

GarageOnAWall wrote:

Only the early 2.5 and range topping 2.7 V6 engines were Honda units which weren't that bad , but the car got its reputation from the crappy Rover 2.0ltr 4 cylinder and later 2.5 V6 engines that regularly suffered head gasket failures . This was because Rovers engines were fitted with cylinder liners that weren't particularly well made and were often not within the required tolerances so the engines often suffered from either over or under compression , hence the gasket failures. What made things worse is that Rover couldn't just replace the head gasket due to the liner problems, so they had to fit a new engine under any warranty claims :roll: . It was left to the Germans to eventually sort out when BMW took over and redesigned the V6 and made it reliable . My ex`s father used to have a later Rover 75 V6 and it was a really nice car to drive and needed nothing but its regular servicing
Thanks Gaz
Having driven/been driven in a selection of mates SD1s varying from early V8s to the later Vitesse via and ex Police version I can advise they varied widely in their 'speed' and not just being different cars but seemingly depended on the day, the position of the moon, whether the electrics could be arsed, particularly the fuel pumps and lastly whether or not they were in a mood. On their day the old girls could lift up their skirts and run like an Olympic sprinter

The engine in the old man's 827/Sterling was the Honda lump and it gave good reliable service. In fact the whole car did whilst my dad owned it
DeadCanDanceR wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:29 pm
That Rover looks fabulous in red! :o

Gorgeous model, mate!
Thanks Julio. Red does suit it nicely and as mentioned above far better than i expected
Andy