Panzerjager Tiger Elefant ( Sd.Kfz.184)

Planes, Trains, Military and whatever else
Galaxy Gaz

Panzerjager Tiger Elefant ( Sd.Kfz.184)

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Tue May 15, 2018 11:00 am

Panzerjager Tiger (P) Elefant by Altaya

In 1941, partly in response to the unpleasant shock of meeting the Soviet T-34 on the battlefield , the German army hastily put together a blueprint for a heavy battle tank that was destined to become the Pz.Kpfw VI Tiger . The main aim was to outclass the machines of the Red army.
Of the two prototypes eventually tested, the Henschel VK4501 H and the Porsche VK4501 P , the Henschel design was selected to go forward to production , but because of the close relationship between Adolf Hitler and Ferdinand Porsche , the unsuccessful Porsche design was not abandoned and instead it was transformed into a tank destroyer.

Porsche presented his prototype in November 1942 . It featured a huge chassis mounting and at the front a casemate containing a Pak 43/2 L/71 88 mm gun. The gun was huge and the design of this tank destroyer was constrained by the lengyh of the gun itself which was almost 6.5 metres long. The 88mm gun could penetrate 165mm of steel at a range of 1 kilometre. The barrel had been specially lengthened to give it this long range power. This meant that the pair of 12 cylinder Maybach engines had to be mounted in the centre of the hull .
There were 90 tanks built and put into service under the designation "Panzerjager Tiger (P)" where soon after the new weapon was nicknamed "Ferdinand" by the tank crews and it first saw service equipping Panzerjager-Abteilung 653 and 654 in April and May 1943.

The baptism of fire for the Ferdinand was in the summer of 1943 at the Battle of Kursk . The new tank destroyer wasnt perfect straight out of the box and deficiencies noted at Kursk and in the following Soviet summer offensive led to the surviving Ferdinands being sent back to the factory for modifications. The main two probems were the lack of close defensive armament, particularly against infantry and poor visibility for the tank commander.

The 43 modified tank destroyers were renamed "Elefant" and now featured a rotating 7.92mm MG34 machine gun and no fewer than seven periscopes to aid all round visibility for the crew of six. Some of the new Elefants were sent to the Italian front where allied forces had invaded the peninsula , while several were returned to service in the Soviet Union.
The Elefants were in the thick of some very hard fighting on both fronts and by the summer of 1944 , just 3 of them were still operational in Italy , while only 12 had managed to survive the bitter slugging matches with the Red army. These remaining Elefants were later regrouped into independant units and fought in the Battle for Berlin in April 1945.

Comparison to a 911

:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

LUW

Re: Panzerjager Tiger Elefant ( Sd.Kfz.184)

Post by LUW » Tue May 15, 2018 9:13 pm

I don't need that.
But i want that.
Argh!!!! I hate this place! Image
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.

Galaxy Gaz

Post by Galaxy Gaz » Wed May 16, 2018 6:00 am

I can get one for your box if you want to play Tank commander :lol:
:flag_gb: Gary

Porsche.....For when you cant say "I`m better than you" in person

Jager

Post by Jager » Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 am

I like the last picture....very creative. It clearly demonstrates its size.

Not my thing, but its an Impressive model.
“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” - Steve McQueen

LUW

Post by LUW » Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 am

Galaxy Gaz wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:00 am
I can get one for your box if you want to play Tank commander :lol:
Go away, bad man! :tired_face:
:checkered_flag: Luciano :checkered_flag:

You know why Italians speak with their hands? Because they have to work a lot on their engines.